1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Writers Which format to buy

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by MMouse, Mar 31, 2002.

1. MMouse

MMouse Guest

Hello

I'm looking to buy a DVD Rewitable real soon. I was looking at the new Pioneer DVR-AO4 drive and have also been reading that the new Hitachi GMA-4020B drive is suppost to be released as well but can't get any information on it. I called Hitachi about it and they can't even tell me anything. From what I read the Hitachi drive is suppose to be able to read and write DVD-r/RW and DVD-Ram.

I know that the DVD forums agree to go with the DVD-R/RW formats. The question is should I buy now or wait a few monhts. I mainly want the dvd writer to back up my pictures from my digital camera (files are about 11 megs each) and also to back up all my slides that I scanned in with my Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED. Each picture file is between 62-138 megs each and i have over 60 gigs to back up.

I'm not interested in DVD-RW. I understand that the people that use the DVD +R/RW formats can't use the DVD+R's as the feature has not been released yet.

Is the Pioneer DVD-A04 the best drive to get that suppors the DVD-R technology.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

MM

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

If backup is going to be your main application, I wouldn't recommend the RW. They take quite a while to format for the first time. I hear that +RW can do this 'on the fly'. Ricoh has a DVD+R/+RW unit out now in Japan, the MP5125A. This unit writes at x2.4. Maybe worth a look??

3. Ketola

Ketola Fighting ninjas Staff Member

Yes, the DVD-A04 would probably be the best solution, since DVD-R is the most compatible DVD-recordable format out there at the moment. Also the price DVD-R media has dropped dramatically over the past couple of months - you can already get a blank DVD-R for as low as $1.

4. BigmacX

BigmacX Guest

I have a Philips DVDR1000 which seemed to me at the time, and still does, to be the best format, Being DVD+R/RW. The lastest upgrade to it (last few days) included compatability ro use DVD+R, even though I can't see many places that stock the disk yet. It can read, as far as I can see, all other formats although it is stated elsewhere that media recorded on some drives wont work.

Also, for what you are doing the + version seems better as you can easily edit your films from the camcorder and record over sections, split titles etc without having to erase it first (on DVD+RW). Also, no waiting around to initialise/finalise the disk for other drives.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Only format that you need to be aware of is DVD-RAM -- it is __NOT__ a standard that DVD players would recognize. Hitachi is one of the brands which still manufactures these sad, soon-dying drives.