1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Writing time

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jaison, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Jaison

Jaison Guest

Hi I hve a Sony dvd writer DRU-510AK 4x and my cpu is 2.6MHZ 1GB DDR WITH windows XP Pro i use memorex dvd-r 4x My question is when i use to write in 4x 4.7gb it takes up to 44ms but i got my new writer,Sony DRX-710UL External Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer. it takes only 15 ms to finish a 4.7 gb disc why? I use nero ver 6. when i use DRU-510AK the buffer level reach up to 98% & come down to 19% it goes up and down the DRX 710ul stays at 98% all the time advice.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Jaison,

It's probably because one burner is writing at 4X and the other is writing at 8X or faster.

Check and see if there is a newer firmware for your older burner, if there is, your writing time will probably increase.

It is the firmware and the discs that increase your writing time. Another factor is weather your burner is in the DMA mode or the PIO mode.

Go to Device Manager and check the IDE for your older burner, make sure it says DMA enabled for your transfer mode. If it says PIO, uninstall the drive, reboot and let your PC find the drive again and resets it to the DMA mode - Your writing mode will increase dramatically -

Cheers,

Pete

3. Jaison

Jaison Guest

i use the same memorex 4x discs to write in both writers and it is set in 4x speed

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ok, so you're using incredibly lousy media which cannot be considered as consistent quality and I suppose you have checked your Firmware and DMA ?

What are your Firmware numbers ?