1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD X COPY Gold

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by NastyJim, Feb 12, 2004.

1. NastyJim

NastyJim Member

I am having problems with several movies. Under the tuscan sun and Jakob the liar.The first half of the flick is fine but the second half is only director commentary. Any advice? I want to keep dvd to dvd if possible. I had the same problem with Decrypter. I am a newbie but Im learning, Just want backups.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

NastyJim,

Well now, you've provided us with about no information at all - the names of the movies give no clue as to what you tried to use - except Decrypter, good for DVD-5's only, is that what you have, a DVD-5 ? Are you sure it's not a DVD-9 ? I'm glad your flick is fine, that sure is helpful to me, ya think ? Are you using a computer ? A standalone DVD Recorder ?, An internal burner ? An external burner - and connected, How ? A CD burner ? A Mini-DVD format ? Vob files ? ISO ? SVCD ? VCD ?

I guess it's fine for me to keep guessing, I'm sure it provides you with a lovely source of entertainment but I'm here to help people, not to provide you with an evening of fun.

I'm truly glad that you "Just want backups."

Me, I just want World Peace -

Lots of luck !
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  3. NastyJim

NastyJim Member

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard 400FSB
    Althon XP 2600+
    Antek Ps 350watt
    ATI Radeon 9600 pro 128
    Memorex CD-RW 52-24-52
    I/O Magic dual format 8x DVD-RW
    Floppy ?
    I tried copying Under a Tuscan Su and Jacob The Liar Useing DVD X Copy Gold and burning them to DVD Via X Copy Gold, X Copy Gold splits the Dvd into 2 parts because it wont fit on 1 Dvd. Im using Memorex dvd +R.
    The first disk(DISK1) Plays fine. The second disk (DISK2) plays only the director comentary. Im under the understanding the movies are dvd 9 and the media I purchased is dvd 5.
    I hope this helps you a little more. Ya see Im getting ready to go fight for world peace over in IRAQ so you can be a smart ass when responding to a newbie on the NEWBIE PAGE. I smack a couple of IRAQIES for ya and tell them this is for world peace. I am sorry I upset you so. Its a pretty nasty place we are going to and we JUST WANTED BACK UPS.

Yours Truely Gunny Trott USMC HML/A 167.
    Nasty_Jim

4. NastyJim

NastyJim Member

Oh yeah and 3gig mem

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

NastyJim,

Perhaps if you re-read your post you would see my frustration at being totally unable to answer you because of the lack of information provided - frustration is allot different from being a smart ass - You now have given me a bit more to work with so, let’s get started. Don’t expect this treatment from anyone else on this forum, the following is being done on the condition that you smack around more than a few of those Iraqis -

Let me explain some things to you first - The majority of DVD’s are DVD-9’s, > 4.36GB, that’s because they are dual layered. The DVD Xcopy you are using tries to copy with the EXACT same quality as the original, hence - 1 DVD-9 equals 2 DVD’s backed up. There are some cases where the movie is < 4.36GB so a 1:1 copy is possible. I’m using the real space available on a 4.7GB DVD, not the Mfg. advertised space which doesn’t include overhead.

Here’s what I think you’re looking for and would make you happy - backing up your DVD’s to a single DVD looking as good as the original. For that I need you to change programs. We're going to accomplish the above by compressing the movie a bit, enough to be on a single disc, not 2 discs. What does compressing the DVD mean to me ? It is almost impossible to tell any difference with the naked eye. Xcopy Xpress compresses DVD’s even more than we are going to because I’m going to show you how to get rid of some things you won’t use, i.e. extra languages like Eastern Himalayan Yak and, if you choose, the Director’s commentary’s leaving more room for the movie itself :).

What’s it going to cost ? Nada !
    Ready ? OK, let’s get to it -

Download Nero 6.0, it’s a burning program you’ll need - if you already have it, forget this part - At this point in time you don’t even have to know how to work it, our next program will need it to make your DVD.

DO THIS NOW -
    A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

NOW DO THIS ONE -
    Here is the bad boy that’ll do all the work for you -

Shrink download - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Follow the guide, written here and the link at the end -

When using DVDShrink ver. 3.1.6 Beta 1

Before I start, I create a folder on my Desktop (i.e. All DVD Work) in that, I create a sub-folder with my movie’s name on it (i.e. All DVD Work/Pirates of the Caribbean) that’s where I put my work, where I can always find it later.

When using DVDShrink, after inserting your DVD, open Shrink, click “Open Disk”. Then, “Select DVD Drive” and click “OK”. After Shrink has opened your disc, anywhere from 30 seconds to 1-½ minutes you’ll see the size of the disc at the bar at the top of the page. If you have a Green bar with a little Gray at the top of the page, go to the next paragraph:) If you see some “Red”, simply check off those files you don’t want, I.E. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Yak Basin language, or extra audio files – I keep ACS 2ch or ACS 5.1, that will give you stereo, most of the rest you can trash. Only do that if you need to lose some stuff to make it fit. You can also gain more room by clicking “Custom Ratio” and increasing the compression.
    Personally, I compress until I see about 1/8 of an inch of Gray at the end of my Green bar - that way I’m not writing to the very edge of my DVD disc. - Remember, more compression, a tiny bit less on the picture quality – when I say “less quality” I’m speaking of theoretically less, nothing you can really see with the naked eye for the most part.

With that being done, let’s make sure that the box which says “Full Disk” is depressed (No need to cheer it up, it likes being depressed :). When you are ready to go, - -> click “Backup”. When the Backup box opens, under “Target Device” make sure your DVD Burner is listed in the window. Under “Target folder”, make sure the folder you made at the beginning with the movie’s name is there (that way you can always go back and burn another copy in the future). Now click “OK”.
    Last step: “STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER !” Clear your throat and yell, “Burn Baby Burn ! ” “Let me hear you say it, Who’s your Daddy Now ???” Do not fold, spindle, mutilate, molest nor fondle the keyboard. “GO AWAY !” Ms. Computer will let you know when she is finished, to approach her before then may be a hazardous to your health -

Really, let it alone, go call your Mom, she misses you and would love to hear from you - your backup will be ready shortly :)

Enjoy your backup,
    “P”

In case you wish to do more -

Shrink Guide -
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  6. NastyJim

NastyJim Member

Thanks "Ole man" you get triple smacks for that.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Don't forget to get back to me and let me know how you made out :)

"P"

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Pete, Gunny,

Pete,
    have you tried gettin your Nero links to work?
    'korosus target"??
    Every time I put one of those in I gotta go back in (edit) and move it once. That seems to break whatever connection is screwing it up. drd knows about it and will fix it sometime.

Jim,
    I wish you all the best and hope for your safe return, my son will be there in a about two or three weeks.

IMHO:
    If you see any of those crazy suicidal mofos coming at ya, don't slap 'em around, just shoot the bastards.

Frank

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Frank,

I went back and tried to load it again through edit and insert, anything else (I thought it was working)

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

A Great Nero, step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

Hey Jim,

Grab this guide for Nero in case ya want to try other things -

Pete

Frank, where did -

"Nero.com/us/631939541422774.php" class="korostus" target="_blank">

come from ??

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Pete,

Everytime I enter a Nero link, it trys to "hook up" with the link at this forum, the one that you see when you have a word like Nero.

I'll show you what I mean:

http://www.nero.com/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

I'm not going to go in and edit this to fix it.
    Frank

'

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again

This time I'll enter the link and post this message.
    Then I'll select the edit icon and then resubmit by "saving changes". I'm not going to actually edit anything.

http://www.nero.com/us/nero6-ultraedition.php
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

And now the link looks normal and works properly!

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

and so we live and learn,

Got it, Thanks Buddy -

Pete

14. NastyJim

NastyJim Member

Pete just wanted to let you know we are in country. Cant say where but we are here. Once I get settled I have some questions for you about DVDShrink and DVD X COPY Plat. Food is great here, cold showers and a subway in atrailer which looks like it came from the backwoods some where BUT the food was good.
    Will get with you in a couple of days. Here a snipit of a problem. DVD Shrink would only copy 22% of Band of Brothers and Runaway Jury. It just stops burning. No error msg.I have to reboot everytime. Ponder on it.
    Thanks Pete.

15. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Nasty,

No problem Bud, I'll tell you what's going on - Shrink (and other programs like DVD XCopy too) don't care for episode type projects very much - Shrink can handle them in the re-Author mode BUT why do things the hard way ?

Off ya go to pickup your DVD2One program. This program LOVES episode type stuff - you want to do it in the "join" mode - Now the bad news, they do have a trial version but it only works on 20 minutes of the movie - so on this one, you’ll have to take my word, it’s a good program ! What else does it do ?? I’m glad you asked - I put 4 DVD-5 movies on a single disc and 3 DVD-9’s on a single disc - that is cool. It does needs a ripper (Decrypter, free) and when you’re done you’ll need Nero to burn but then, you already have Nero :) I don't know what DVD2One costs, it's been a while since I purchased mine but it's worth the money -

Anyway, that’s your answer and remember, you’ve some “smacks” to hand out -

Pete

Link for DVD2One -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd2one.cfm

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004