1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD X Copy Platinum v.3.2.1

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Veraciouz, Jun 7, 2004.

1. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

I too bought Platinum a couple of months ago (frankly, before I knew I could get free programs that would do the same thing ...). This was right when the court order was about to come down. After the court decision, 321 couldn't sell the ripper version any more but they COULD, as far as I know, still sell the ripper-free version (RF version). And anyone who had bought and activated the ripper version was supposed to get a free download of the RF version as well. I got one after calling their Tech Support. You might call them again to see if this offer still applies as it sounds like you're owed the RF version.

OK, once you have the RF version -- which requires a separate activation number, which they'll also give you for free (they did this because apparently people were uninstalling the ripper version and installing the RF version, then wondering why they couldn't rip) -- it WILL allow you to go back and burn your ripped files later. In other words, it has an active "browse" button. This might not seem like a big deal, but it IS a handy feature -- personally I prefer to rip a bunch of DVDs in a row, then burn them all one after the other, it's just more convenient.

Anyway, call 321 Tech Support again ... despite the long hold times (unless things have changed).

2. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

hey I'm a "junior member" now ... and to think just yesterday I was a newbie. :)

(sorry, I couldn't resist, I just saw the change after my name)

3. CuzBruce

CuzBruce Member

Thanks for the tip Karen. But I am tryng to understand. If I can rip with my version, if I get the RF version and install it, will that keep my other version from ripping? Also I notice that as soon as I burn a DVD with this program that the temporary files disappear. Do I just make a copy of that file and save it somwhere else so I can use them later?
    I do like the idea of being able to burn a few at a time like you are doing.
    I spent too much on my version to not have it rep if that is what installing and activating the RF version will do. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks
    Cuz

4. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

The RF version will act like a separate program -- you can have both on your computer (in fact they're both on my desktop even as I write). So don't worry about your ripper version disappearing after you get the RF version.

You're right about the process -- after the ripper version rips and asks you to insert a disk for burning, but BEFORE you insert the disk, copy the files it has written to a temporary folder to another folder of your choice. Then you should be able to "browse" for them at your convenience with the RF version. (You might notice they have a "browse" button in the ripper version but it's not active -- I think it was going to be a feature in a future release but then the court decision came down.)

I've never actually used Platinum this way because I started using Shrink & RecordNow (a program that came with my Sony burner) and both are more convenient for me. But from what I've read on this forum, the process works fine. You might want to try it with one disc to make sure everything's OK.

5. CuzBruce

CuzBruce Member

Ok thanks, I just want to be SURE that once I activate the RF version that my ripper version won't be deactivaed somehow from being able to rip. I thought I saw a couple of other posts where other users lost the ability to rip due to downloading things, like one mentioned a dvd cover art and then couldn't rip anymore. I just like to be 100% sure.

6. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

That definitely shouldn't happen! I think when people have had problems it's been because of hardware/software compatibility issues. Just adding Platinum RF when you already have the ripper Platinum shouldn't do anything except give you another program.

Once you get the RF version you might also try another way of completing the process -- e.g. Shrink to rip/encode (instead of ripper Platinum) & Platinum RF to burn (just use its "browse" button & go to where you had Shrink put the files). I just think it's always good to have a back-up.

7. CuzBruce

CuzBruce Member

I Don't understand what you mean by shrink to rip, is that a feature of the RF version? Please explain. Also what are the TDF files?
    Also do you have or know where to get the maual in pdf format that I can download?

Thanks,
    Bruce

8. CuzBruce

CuzBruce Member

I am also having problems reading a couple of movies, half way through the read I get an error. Any ideas?

9. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Sorry, I think I'm using too much jargon ...

By "Shrink" I meant DVD Shrink, which is a free program that you can download. It basically does exactly the same thing that the ripper version of Platinum does. I switched over to that program when my Platinum got unreliable, and now I use it 99% of the time to rip/encode. It doesn't burn, but I have RecordNow for that (which came with my Sony DVD burner).

When you get the RF version of Platinum, that can become your regular burning program. So when I suggested trying Shrink + RF Platinum, I meant to try those programs together (don't use the ripper version of Platinum at all, just to see if Shrink + RF Platinum works [which it should]) -- all I meant was that it's just good to have more than one option for backing up your DVDs since some programs can get "buggy" and stop working. Sounds like this already happens sometimes with your ripper Platinum -- you wrote in your 6/20/04 14:41 post that sometimes Platinum gives you an error halfway through the movie. This happened to me too, and this is what I meant about my Platinum being "unreliable." For those movies that ripper Platinum can't do, you will often get a perfect back-up by using DVD Shrink to rip/encode (what the Platinum ripper version does) and another program to burn (Nero, or Platinum RF when you get that, or Decrypter, another free program -- although Decrypter only burns .iso files so you would need to use Shrink to rip to an .iso file.

To answer a different question, from what I understand the .tdf files are to fix problems that Platinum had backing up certain movies. I have never used them since I basically gave up on Platinum. I'm sure you can find more info on .tdf files elsewhere in these forums -- just do a search.

Anyway, to summarize: you can back up movies in lots of ways: (1) Platinum ripper version, which you have but which sometimes gives error messages; (2) by downloading & using DVD Shrink to rip/encode and then Platinum RF to burn; (3) DVD Shrink to rip/encode + another burning program like Nero if you have that (or maybe the program that came with your DVD burner -- which program was it?); (4) DVD Shrink to rip/encode to an .iso file (that's one of its options) + DVD Encrypter to burn the .iso file; (5) DVD Encrypter to both rip/encode AND burn, provided the original DVD is <4.4gigs (most are bigger than this, so you need Shrink or another program to "shrink," i.e. compress, the files).

I know it's confusing to have all these options. It's also disappointing to spend money on a program that ends up being problematic. Before spending any more money, try downloading the free programs and see if they work for you. There are guides to both Shrink and Decrypter on these forums -- check the "guides" section.

One other suggestion -- until you get lots of perfect burns in a row, it might be a good idea to burn to +RW or -RW discs so you can erase them & re-use them if anything goes wrong. Coasters, and we've all made them, can get expensive.

And one last suggestion (I know I'm all over the place here) -- one other thing you might try when you get an error message from Platinum halfway through the movie -- is the disc itself definitely OK, clean, etc.? That could be an easy fix. Then again, maybe Platinum is just being ornery.

Keep us posted on your progress!

10. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

P.S. I have the Users' Manual for Platinum RF in .pdf format -- it says version 4.0.3 and is dated 2/3/04. Hmmm, I just checked for the Users' Manual to the ripper version and I can't find that one on my computer. You might check (1) 321studios' web site; (2) these forums to see if there are any links.

11. CuzBruce

CuzBruce Member

Karen,

Thank you so very much for all of your help so far. I just downloaded the DVD Shrink program, I will try it and let you know how I do. I have a NEC 2500A DVD burner and the program that came with it is Roxio CD & DVD Creator 6.0. I haven't heard too many good things about their programs. I Used to use Nero for my CD's, had a copy from a friend and then recently had to re do my C: drive and now it is only the lite version. I downloaded a newer copy but can't uninstall whatever is left of the older one so I don't think I can use Nero at this point. I will call 321 tomorrow and see if I can get the RF version as a download from them as you did. What other free burners that I can download would you suggest?
    I already asked 321 about the manuel and they suggested somone on the forums might have it as well as updates to platenum. You are right maybe the disks were dirty, I'll clean them and try over again. I just installed platenum yesterday and burnt one disk with no problem, although at first I tried reading it in my DVD Rom drive which is about 5 years old, my NEC burner had no problem. I'll try to clean these two disks and see what happens. I guess if I use DVD Shrink it will save the files as ts files, but platenum won't browse them so I need the RF version to read and burn them, right?
    I'll keep you posted as to how I make out. It's late now so I am going to bed.

Thanks again

Cuz

12. CuzBruce

CuzBruce Member

Hey Karen,

I did download the DVD Shrink program but didn't need to use it yet as I got the dvd x copy platenum to work, I cleand off the dvd and it worked. I did contact 321 and they gave me the code to download the RF version for free which I just did. He did warn me NOT to install the DVD Rescue module as if you have two versions on your system it will keep the ripper program from working. I'm glad that he told me that because it didn't even ask if I wanted to install it, it just went right to it but I was able to click on cancel before it installed it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Cuz

13. izsushant

izsushant Member

i suggest you go to www.321studios.co.uk or something like that. I will get the exact link but i bought one off there. They sell the actual one with the ripper and an exclusive one which removes the copied dvd notice from the start of the dvd
    :D and what's more, you can download it and get a copy sent for a fraction of the cost.
    :D

14. Ramesh350

Ramesh350 Guest

hello, i have looked everywhere for Platinum v4.0.4.15RF but i couldnt find anything. CAN ANYONE SEND IT TO ME?? I HAVE PLATINUM 3.2.1 AND IT WORKS BUT I WANT THE BROWSE FUCTION TO WORK. ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT. I HAVE MSN MESSENGER,

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2004
  15. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

16. werty5926

werty5926 Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2004
  17. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

@werty5926,

the forum isn't for that ... send it in a pm.

The RF download may be available later ... just not now :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  18. quado

quado Member

I searched and finally bought dvdxcopy platinum but now can't get the activation password. Am I just out of luck because I Don't want to call crying the blues to the company I bought it from if there is a way I can get the software activated thank you for any help.I am definitely a rookie to all of this.

19. ringdown

ringdown Member

Hello If Niphilim says taht DVD X Copy should be known as DVD X Crappy because there is "REAL" software out yere to use, tehn can anyone tell me th ename of teh "REAL" Software and where I may be able to purchase and download. I have found DVD X Copy Platinum faultless. I ahve had no problems whatso ever with it and teh Back Ups are perfect.

20. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

ringdown,

I believe the software Nephilim is talking about is probably this:
    1. DVDRebuilder/CCE Cost $58.00
    2. DVDShrink using Nero ver. 5.5.10 or better Cost depends on where you buy it 20.00 +

To find the software search this site. The D/L's are here