1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD X Copy Platinum

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by blakey19, Nov 1, 2004.

1. blakey19

blakey19 Guest

I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem, I just upgraded my dvd writer from a Nec 1300a (problem with Bulkpaq Orange Blanks) to a new dual layer TS-H552B, since putting this in dvd x copy comes up with the dvd your trying to copy is css protected, yet it still works fine with the nec1300a? have they put blocks in new firmware of drives?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi blakey19, welcome to aD,

First off, you may find problems with using that media when doing DVD video backups. That media is fine for Data backup, Gif's, Jpg's and MPG3 work BUT it of such poor constant quality that your coaster production will continue no matter what else you do. There are many, many threads about the proper media for DVD backup use in the "Newbie" forum.

That isn't the problem that's plaguing you presently. I believe that your DVD XCopy isn't really " seeing" your new burner. When you install DVD XCopy it lQQk's around your PC to see what it will be working with. When you have 2 or more burners, as DVD XCopy is being installed it asks you what burner you wish to be XCopy's default burner. Since it has already chosen your NEC, it's decided anything else isn't right. By uninstalling DVD XCopy completely, and then reinstalling it, it will be free to chose a new default burner should you wish to change it. I went through the exact same thing when installing my Pioneer when I decided my HP 200j burner was too much trouble to bother with :(

No. Firmware isn't "copy protected". Firmware is a "tweak" to generally help your burner recognize more DVD media and to iron out any "Bugs" that might have been missed prior to your drive being release for sale.

Cheers and, if you need any more help, feel free to stop back,

Pete

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

dvdxcopy isnt compatible with dual layer burners as far as i know . clonedvd2 , shrink ,nero recode all are able to burn dual layer discs .
    i used to use dvdxcopy until i bought a sony dru 710a dual layer burner , dvdxcopy would not work with the dual layer burner .
    i now use clonedvd2 or nero recode for my back ups since dvdxcopy doesnt support dual layer burners .
    shrink is a free program that alot of people use and have good results . ive never used it before so i cant tell you for sure if it supports dual layer burners or not , maybe someone that uses shrink can tell you if shrink supports your burner .

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That is a fact. When DVD XCopy was operating there weren't any DL burners or DL discs so therefore it couldn't be set up to work with DL.

The one proggy we need to mention is DVD Shrink. DVD Shrink is DL compatiable so burn on pple, burn on -

Pete

5. blakey19

blakey19 Guest

hi there pete, don't think it will help trying to unistall and re-install, tried it loads of times but still says the same, also installed it on a friends computer who only has a single layer dvd drive that was already in the machine before i installed dvdxcopy for him and it comes up with the same dvd is protected by css this doesn't copy css, yet i have done over 50 dvd's with it before upgrading.

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

do a search on this site on css errors with dvdxcopy and you will find boat loads of material on this subject

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Gee I thought I was the only one who forgot to put links in my posts when I tell pple to check it out (Lol - :p)

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

it depends on what version of xcopy we are talking about , version 4.0.3.8 or the rf version . both have been known to give css errors and there are fixes for both versions . if we are talking about version 4.0.3.8 like i think we are than there is some good info herehttp://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/95501
    i see no mention of the rf version here so i see no need to post links for the rf version and css errors . hope this helps and sorry for not posting a link earlier

9. blakey19

blakey19 Guest

cheers for the help guys, I knew there would be someone out there who would be able to help, will give all this advice a try and see if it helps and post my findings

10. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

As far as dss copy protection you might try anydvd which might get rid of your problem; other things to check: platinum always requires that your DVD/R drive is the 'master' and try decrypter to see if you have the same problem.

11. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

sorry, css copy protection.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

xxschizo,

Just to the right on the "report an offensive post" there is an "icon" that is an "Edit" icon allowing you to go back at anytime and correct or add to your post - easier than doing another post :)

"P"

13. xxschizo

xxschizo Member

thanks.