1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD X copy/ Sony DRU-710= 2 hour burns?? help!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ragingron, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ragingron

ragingron Guest

HELLO,
    I have a new PC I just built. One of the main things I wanted to do that I could'nt do before is back up my DVD collection.
    I bought 2 SONY DRU-710 writers which can burn DVD R+@16x. The first movie I did, triple X, read/burned in an impresive 15 minutes. I used DVD X copy platinum and used only writer #1. The next day I went to start backing up my collection and the first movie I did took over an hour to read and then about another hour to burn!!! I thought that it might have just been a scratched disc or tuffer incription. I have now burned over 8 DVD all which have taken over an hour for each phase of the process.
    I thought that I should try the other burner(#2) so I did. It read the movie in about 30 minutes but when I went to put the DVD R+ in, X Copy would not recognize it, or any other blanks. I ended up putting the blank in bay #1 and it took it, it took over an hour to burn.
    PLEASE HELP. I have check several settings and read a few different forums and I cannot find the answer to my problems. Any suggestions or links to similar problems would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. colw

colw Active member

Have you checked that DMA Mode is enabled for your burners/players in Device Manager?

If they have reverted to PIO Mode, this will substantially increase your burning times.

A normal burn at 4X should be less than 15 minutes.

3. ragingron

ragingron Guest

thanks for the reply.
    I read a thread on this and checked my settings this is what I found:
    PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL PROPERTIES
    device 0
    device type: auto detection
    transfer mode:DMA if available
    Current transfer mode:not applicable
    device 1

SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL PROPERTIES
    device 0
    device type:auto detection(NOT HIGHLITED,CANNOT CHANGE
    transfer mode:pIO only
    Current transfer mode:pIO mode

device 1

As you can see the secondary IDE channel has PIO listed under device 0. When i first read the other thread I went ahead and changed "transfer mode" 'PIO only' to "DMA if available". I did not know whether or not to change the feild below that, 'current transfer mode' , from "PIO mode". i also dont know what to change it to.
    I gave it a reboot and the burns took just as long. Regardless, it states PIO mode under the second burner, but the first drive is where the problem had been occuring.
    The drives are exactly the same and i was told that this might have an effect so I unhooked drive two, tried again and got the same results.

Any other suggestions?? thanks!