1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2one compression on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by 4mmdds, Jul 4, 2003.

1. 4mmdds

4mmdds Member

ok, I have a very strange problem. I 'am using a nec1300a, dvd2one 1.2 dvddecrypter 3.1.6. When I rip the movie files their are 4 .vob files and other various related files, all perfectly sized to just fit on a blank DVD-r. I couldn't copy straight to dvd using latest nero, it came up with an error about not finding some sort of file. Anyway, not being too bothered about that I thought I would run the ripped files through dvd2one as thats how I have done all my other films. This worked fine through nero and did my useual quality test and it seemed a very bad quality copy. The first I had ever had. I checked on the DVD and there was at least 500mb worth of free space that had not been written too. I checked the files that dvd2one had created and yep, they were not 4.37 in total but more like 3.85. My question is why did dvd2one compress them to a smaller size than needed thus loosing some quality of the copied film? I thought it was meant to compress only enough so it would fit nicly on a blank DVD and not too much as to loose quality? Any clues on this one?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Did you have DVD2One in Movie-Only Mode or whole-disc mode? If its in Movie-Only, that would explain the smaller file.

Have you tried DVD Shrink yet? Its free. You can get a copy and a user guide form here:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk

Also, you cannot copy directly from one drive to another withoug first ripping. This is because all DVD Movies are encrypted with a CSS Algorithmn. This has to be decoded first. You can only ever copy on the fly when you are copying an already copied DVD.

Chris

3. 4mmdds

4mmdds Member

I realise you can not copy straight from DVD, sorry what I meant earlier with nero was after first using dvd decrypter. Anyway, I was using movie only mode as I had let dvd decrypter select the movie files and I'm not bothered about the extras e.t.c. I assume the movie only mode and full disk mode would be the same if I only pointed it to the movie vob files. OR does the movie only mode always compress the vob files and leave space for extras assuming there are other extras files even if not?

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

It would help if there was some coloured bar (like in DVD Shrink,Nero etc stating how large the project you wish to work with is)

It has happened a few times in the past w/ DVD2one for me too...
    DVD2One 1.2 is an improvement on previous version in that it does a better job on 2+hr movies

Last edited: Jul 4, 2003
  5. 4mmdds

4mmdds Member

OK, so I tried the suggestion of DVD shrink and I've got to say I've fallen in love. I like the advanced feature's e.g editing out credits and setting different compression levels for different areas of the dvd. And for the first time I have working movies that do not have any skips or blockly bits. Only worry I have is that I saw in a thread somewhere that the audio quality isn't always up to scratch. Is this movie specific or does it just happen from time to time, sorry about the change of subject, but I gotta say that so far dvd shrink is the only one that doesn't cause playback problems with a pioneer 454, all other combinations I have used to stop my very picky pioneer have failed but dvd shrink does the job - might be a handy hint to keep in mind.

6. herbsman

You're right , that was totally off thread topic :)

DVD Shrink has more bugs than DVD2One IMHO but DVD Shrink is free (you gets what you pay for)
    I have encountered audio problems with DVD Shrink and as to answer if it is movie specific or not...'dunno' - dont use it enough to be able to say for sure
    Not gonna run tests on everyone elses behalf but I am interested in problems ppl are having w/ DVD Shrink (other than 'cyclic redundancy error' cos that has been mentioned enough times)

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all :)

herbsman, I'm a regular DVD Shrink user and have never had any audio problems.
    Would you mind telling me what were the ones you experienced?

8. herbsman

Chose AC3 6CH in Shrink & usually in DVD2One that gives me DolbyDigital audio but on the back up I tried all that was there was 5.1

9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Thanks for the reply, herbsman. :)

I leaves me a bit confused though.
    Aren't "5.1" and Dolby Digital AC3 the same thing (if you're not talking AC3 mono, stereo or DTS)? :/

10. herbsman

I did a full-disk and chose audio that I told you of AC3 6CH & in DVD2One that would give me DolbyDigital Stereo (and perhaps 5.1 - I've not checked myself) but in DVD Shrink all I got was 5.1 Surround.
    If you chose 'Play DolbyDigital Stereo' from the menu , there is no audio at all
    Choose 'DolbyDigital 5.1' & you get audio although it is (obviously) surround sound

I sorted it (again obvioulsy) by choosing all audio options

Wasted a couple of hours burning & erasing DVD-R so no cost but time & effort were perhaps

I still find DVD2One to better : )

[since DVD2One 1.2 , the issues of long movies has been covered]

11. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

"If I Understood You Correctly"
    If the Movie is just the right size to fit on one DVD-R why even use DVD2ONE just create a ISO with DVDDecrypter then Burn.. Then you will have a perfect copy with no quality being degraded.

12. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

@ herbsman

Ok, I don't want to dwell too much on the subject, but I find your last 2 posts very hard to decypher, lol (maybe due to the lack of punctuation :p ).

1) "I did a full-disk and chose audio that I told you of AC3 6CH"
    My interpretation:
    1) I did a full-disk backup and chose AC3 5.1 as the audio stream.

2) "...in DVD2One that would give me DolbyDigital Stereo (and perhaps 5.1 - I've not checked myself)"
    I get this one, even though I don't understand how choosing 5.1 would give you stereo (and maybe keep 5.1 as well, as you haven't checked). ;)

3) "...but in DVD Shrink all I got was 5.1 Surround.
    If you chose 'Play DolbyDigital Stereo' from the menu , there is no audio at all.
    Choose 'DolbyDigital 5.1' & you get audio although it is (obviously) surround sound"
    My interpretation:
    3)... but the backup made with DVD Shrink only contained the 5.1 audio stream.
    If I chose 'Play DolbyDigital Stereo' from the menu , there was no audio at all.

En resume:
    When using DVD Shrink, if you only selected to include the 5.1 audio stream, all you got was the 5.1 audio stream.
    When using DVD2One, if you only selected to include the 5.1 audio stream, you also got the stereo stream.

My conclusion:
    It would seem that DVD Shrink only included what you selected to include. I see that as its normal behavior, not a bug.
    DVD2One SEEMED to include more than what you selected (if the 5.1 stream was still present), or somehow downmixed 5.1 to stereo.
    This sound more like a buggy behavior to me, lol. :)

P.S: please take this post in the spirit in which it was intended. Just a friendly argument. ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2003
  13. 4mmdds

4mmdds Member

Ok, I'm only a newbie hear but don't you think that the subject of this thread has changed somewhat. I 'm satisfied with the answers to my orig question so might be best to start a new thread with this audi stuff in. I'm not being funny about it, and I am very interested in the audio thing as I will be getting a decent audio system and need to know dvd shrink does the job. So please do start a new thread for this, perhaps with an answer to wheather anyone has a decent audio system and has noticed any problems with copies, on sound quality.

14. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi 4mmdds, sorry for the off-threadness. ;)

I've never had any audio problems with DVD Shrink, so I don't really need to start a new thread.
    But if you are concerned about possible problems, start a thread and I'll participate. ;)

You can also go to the unofficial-official DVD Shrink forums and have a read. :)

http://forum.digital-digest.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=48

15. herbsman

dd

In DVD2One sometimes there are say 3 audio options

AC3 6CH
    AC3 2CH
    DTS

I choose AC3 6CH & get Dolby Digital Stereo

[simple as that]

I never choose 5.1 cos Dolby Digital Stereo is nice enough once I channel sound through my Technics Hi-Fi : )-

16. herbsman

to dd again:

Have you used DVD2One at all mate ?

17. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

18. herbsman

I'd call people having Cyclic Redundancy Errors all over the place as a definite bug in Shrink but I've no doubt it'll get ironed out

So is that in essence a NO to you havent used DVD2One ..? : )

Keep it on thread topic then dd [as DVD2One is mentioned in thread title]
    lol

19. herbsman

I have 1MB Broadband hook up :p

20. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Broadband!!?? Cool :)
    Don't you think that 4mmdds slightly changed the direction of this thread but saying he's now using DVD Shrink instead of DVD2One? :p
    So in a way, our posts are still pertinent. :D