1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd2one didn't compress enough

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by vantrells, Feb 9, 2005.

1. vantrells

vantrells Member

has anyone else noticed that once in awhile dvd2one doesn't compress enough? i just backed up disney's brother bear and when i went to burn it, it didn't make a small enough file to fit onto a dvd. this is the second time it has happened. (can't remember the other movie). i did however go back and select "user defined" and made the file size smaller and that worked just fine. is there a way before hand to tell if a disk will not work with the "fit to dvd+-r" preset? i guess that it would be no big deal to always leave it on user defined, but i was just wondering... thanks.

2. Trier

Trier Member

Don´t understand what you´re saying. It has worked fine with me, and I use "4444". You could always add "4400" to be sure or something..

I have also burned some discs, that are actually 4.4 GB, and they have been fine also (without compression). So I guess 4.3 GB is not the "final word" always.

3. vantrells

vantrells Member

all i was saying is, 99% of the time i have left the preset "output:" tab on "DVD+-R(W)" = "4472 MB" and it has worked fine. but twice it has made a file that is just a pinch too big to fit on a disk. to make them work i've just done like you've said and put in my own size. i guess i'll always leave it on user defined. i was just kind of wondering if it was a goofy glitch in the program or something.

4. Trier

Trier Member

I think it´s safer to set it "4444", but I´m not fully sure how it works. I read somewhere, that it´s good to leave at least "some room"?

Few DVDs have been e.g. 4.4 GB, so I ripped them with MTR, and then just burned them with Toast. Works ok.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005