1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2one loses half the data

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by jsinvest, Nov 27, 2004.

1. jsinvest

jsinvest Guest

Hi All.
    I'm very new to this and hope that I have just missed something - not just wasted good money on this software - but this from all the good reports, this I am just thick ? ( - confirmation not required, thanks )

System is WinXP, P4, 1Gb Ram, 30GB HD space free.

Copied a DVD to my HD using DVDdecrypt ( Mode : File F ) and it 'copied' all files from DVD to HD.
    Using DVD2one (v1.5.1), set to 'Full Disk' option and waited for it to finish. The destination directory only contains the first 4 of the 8 .vob files - and the last one being considerably smaller than the original.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Dave

2. jsinvest

jsinvest Guest

Well, looks like I got egg on my face ( not unusual ).

Turns out that the first 4 'compressed' files were exactly the same size as the first 4 original vob files.

So, Mr Holmes eventually deduced that the original 8 files had been compressed into a little over 4 files.

I actually thought that I should have ended up with 8 files ( like on the original ), only with smaller file sizes.

After hours of trying, eventually made the DVD and was pleasantly surprised.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, heh Dave,

Ya always gotta grab hold of the reins and let the pony go to the trial's end - then, don't worry how you got there be happy you're there -

Burn on there Good guy, burn on -

Pete

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

u sure that dvd2one isn't putting some of the files in a 2nd folder, ie splitting the film into 2 directories. if so, run dvd2one again on the 2folders, merging them into one again. good workaround til i find why this happens.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Excuse me ? ?

Exactly what are you talking about ?

Pete

6. jsinvest

jsinvest Guest

Please see my previous reply which closed the question that I posted :

Quote >>>
    Well, looks like I got egg on my face ( not unusual ).

Turns out that the first 4 'compressed' files were exactly the same size as the first 4 original VOB files.

So, Mr Holmes eventually deduced that the original 8 files had been compressed into a little over 4 files.

I actually thought that I should have ended up with 8 files ( like on the original ), only with smaller file sizes.

After hours of trying, eventually made the DVD and was pleasantly surprised.

7. creaky

If the original poster hasn't actually lost half the data, but it's been written to a 2nd directory, dvd2one can be used to solve this by merging the 2parts of the same film back into one again.

I've used winavi video converter a few times, and found it sometimes writes most of the data to the correct destination, and a few files to a 2nd destination, requiring you to use dvd2oner to merger the two into a correct dvd structure. When i wrote my previous reply i couldn't remember if it was winavi converter that was writing 2 two dir's, or dvd2one. I may have barked up the wrong tree if the original poster has indeed lost half the data.

8. creaky

ok ok, hadn't noticed the obvious, jsinvest had solved his own problem. that'll teach me to reply whilst half asleep. i'll look for a winavi-related forum and put my reply there instead as it's still a good workaround for re-merging to parts of a film back together :)