1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2One sounds kinda limited to me...

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by MrFixit, Mar 9, 2003.

1. MrFixit

MrFixit Member

I haven't bought DVD2One yet. (mainly because I just spent my money on DVDXCOPY last month) Let me get this straight, all that DVD2One does is take VOB files and reduces the quality enough so that it can fit on a blank DVD-R.

It DOES not rip the VOB files for you? It assumes you have a DVD ripper? And it doesn't burn the final product back to a blank DVD?? It again assumes that we have bought a program like Nero?

This process is basically a 3 step process (rip-reencode-burn) and 2 out of the three steps rely on other software? Does it actually say that on the system requirements?

The only two programs I've used to burn DVDs are DVDDecryptor and DVDXCOPY. I'm assuming there isn't a way to use these programs to burn w/ DVD2One?

What is the output file after DVD2One reencodes the VOB files? Is it a ISO file?
    Sorry for all the questions, but as you can see, I dont know a lot about the DVD backup process, but I have a really big DVD collection that I want to back up. Until now, I thought my only solution was DVDXCOPY. (although Im getting annoyed witht the disc swapping in the middle of the movie)

-Jake

2. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

Using DVD2ONE you will only get the movie, No Menus or Extras. The process is quite simple:
    1) Rip the movie vobs and ifo to hard drive using DVD Decrypter or Smartripper.
    2) Use DVD2ONE to reduce size of vobs and create the needed ifo & bup files.
    3) Burn to DVD-R with whatever burning software you like.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2003
  3. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

I was in the same position as you. I bought Xcopy first and loved it, I still do. Then I stumbled upon dvd2one and that has been what I use most nowadays.

As you know Xcopy RARELY fits everything onto one disc. The problem is the inability to remove multiple soundtracks and subtitles. Sometimes, all that need be done is to just remove the end credits to fit, but Xcopy will force you to use 2 discs.

After getting dvd2one, I have since gone back and reburned all of the discs that required 2 discs with Xcopy onto one disc and given them away to friends. There is a learning curve but, dvd decrypter, nero and dvd2one are all you need and there is plenty of info on the net to walk you through it.

DVDXCOPY PROS: one step process, option to keep the menus, relatively fast, no compression, self contained program, no learning curve, great website help

DVDXCOPY CONS: annoying warning screen, most discs require 2 discs to copy, inability to remove multiple audio and subtitles, poor chapter splitting options

I am most excited for the platinum edition which will solve many of the problems associated with the software, but not compression.

In conclusion, if a movie is really long, anything over 2 hours and 15 minutes, I will either not burn it or use xcopy. I find that compression is a double edged sword and it is the greates when you have a movie that is 1 hor 45 minutes to 2 hours and 15 minutes because the amount of compression used is so minimal that the gain of using 1 disc far outweighs and signal degradation you MAY see from compressing.

4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

The output files are DVD compliant vob, ifo etc. just put them into a VIDEO_TS folder (with an AUDIO_TS also) and burn with Nero, RecordNow Max etc.

5. T2K

T2K Guest

The real anoyence with dvd2one is that it throughs out the menu no matter how small it is.
    when authoring just make sure you got the right output size, dvdit, pinnicle. ulead dvd workshop.

6. Darth56

Darth56 Guest

well after getting my sony dru-500a i have bought dam near every program out there to get every thing to 1 dvd dvdxcopy was ok but couldnt handle box sets then used dvd2one nice if u just want the movie but still no box sets i then used dvd instantcopy ok program for getting everything but it still had problems with box sets finaly got a program called Dvd95Copy and low and behold it does everything it copys the whole dvd and if its a mode9 it converts it all to a mode5 i have so far backedup my complet collection of all 6 seasons of star trek tng and oz and sopranoes and everyone of them are as great as the originals

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2003
  7. MrFixit

MrFixit Member

Thanks for all the replies to my post. DVDXCOPY and DVD2ONE both are great programs, depending on each user's needs. I visited DVDXCOPY's website last night, and they said that their Platinum version should be released by the end of this month. So, I'm going to wait until then before I consider getting DVD2ONE, because it sounds like DVDXCOPY Platinum will be able to get most movies onto one dvd-r without reducing the quality. (quality is important for me)

I've read a lot of posts and most of you say that you can't really see a noticable difference in video. That's not surprising because I'm guessing the majority of you do not own large HDTV television sets. I've read some posts (from dvdxcopy's site) about users with large hdtv's complaining that there is a VERY noticable difference in quality.

I'm afraid to backup my collection of 200 dvds NOW with dvd2one and find out 5-10 years from now, when HDTV becomes the standard, i'll have a collection of crappy looking movies. If any of you know otherwise, please correct me, because I plan on buying an HDTV in maybe 5 years from now.

8. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

Well I have burned about 20 movies now with DVD2one and alot of them are over 2 hours. I really do not see a loss in quality. I am saving money being able to burn to one DVD instead of having to split it up into two DVD's.

9. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

Mr Fixit:

I will buy you a copy of the Platinum version if it is out by the end of March. Take what you read there as a grain of salt. In fact, the mods have made it clear that the dates are estimates and no promises have been made regarding ANY ship dates. V 1.5 has been promised for 2 weeks and is still not here. Since it is 321 policy NOT to release a new version after Wednesday, you can chalk up another week gone by with no 1.5. Holding out for Platinum is foolish, it may be the end of April or longer.

With regards to DVD2One, I have an HD 50 inch Plasma and an HD DLP Projector onto a 110" screen. Burning movies that are about 2 hours and 5 minutes or LESS, I can see no picture degradation whatsoever and I have the eyes and equipment that would reveal it. The added cost of printing on 2 DVD's is minimal but, the added convenience of not having to get up and switch dvd's in the middle of a movie is priceless. Add to that the fact that when I put in a movie, none of the other people in the audience have to question what the neon warning sign regarding 'DVD X COPY BACKUP" is, which detracts from the whole experience, although ever so slightly.

I burn about 14 out of 15 discs using dvd2one over version 1.4. I cannot tell you how platinum will be but, you can surely bet that it will be bug ridden and beta tested for another month following release so go and have a seat, you will be waiting for a long time for a perfect platinum version.

Finally, I don't understand your issue with HD DVD. They are not available and no one knows how long it will be before they are. Even today, dvd hasn't caught up to vcr in the total amount of titles available, how long do you think it will be before hd dvd catches up to dvd? Besides that, how much of an improvement do you think HD Raiders of the lost ark will be over standard dvd ( if we ever get it) when 99% of the movies produced are either old master copies or new copies shot on "analog" film? You can't create resolution so most of what will be released on HD dvd will be new stuff that will be shot with HD cameras.

Worry about something else, you are many years away before your current DVD library will even potentially be replaced by hd dvd's.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2003
  10. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

So many questions and such little time!

Try DVD95COPY if you want to keep extras and menus, but want one DVDR solution.

Paul.

11. T2K

T2K Guest

my question is to the moderator loaded. wich program should I use for my authored presentations."keep in mind that I want to save the menus" dvd95copy or pinnicle instant copy. thanks.

12. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I use DVD2One and can also keep the menu and all the extra's.

13. T2K

T2K Guest

hey wizkid how do you keep menus with dvd2one?

why didnt you explain your self the first time around instead of waiting for someone to reply??

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2003
  14. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Because it's kind a hard to explain.

Here are the instructions read them slow and try it yourself.
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/146795.php

I did it about 3 times now and it works.
    First time it's kinda hard now it only takes me about 20 min more than the usual way.

15. MrFixit

MrFixit Member

ericbee, thanks for clearing that up for me.DVD2One sounds like its worth the buy, afterall. Since this program is still in somewhat early stages, does it have any bugs or glitches? I don't need any more coasters...

16. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

No, I have had no probs with it.
    I have the newest version DVD2One.
    Did about 15 movies sofar with great results !!

Go for it !!

17. MrFixit

MrFixit Member

I have DVD Decryptor, and soon I will purchase DVD2One, but I still need a burner. Most of you seem to use Nero, but I'd prefer to use a FREE burner if there is one. Does anyone know of any free burners?

If not, which burning software works best with DVD2One?

-Thanks

18. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

MrFixit,

I note from one of your earlier messages that quality is important to you.

If so, don't use DVD2one (or any other re encoder for that matter)

I have tested DVD2one and you will notice a slight loss in quality. Not a lot, but noticable. The quality is quite watchable, but, there is a slight loss in quality. Especially if you are going down the route of HDTV in yeras to come.

Try out the trial version by all means but be prepared to be disappointed.

For best quality, use CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder) and a good DVD authoring application.

HomerJ

19. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

How much is CCE HomerJ ?

20. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

It used to be VERY EXPENSIVE !!!!

BUT.....

Very recently, they have bought out a cheaper version (CCE Basic) checkout this site :-

http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/home.html

Cost is $58. It's a cut down version, but on features, not quality.

Give it a try. You can even download a trial version

HomerJ