1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2One vs. DVDShrink

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by tedtropy, Feb 14, 2004.

1. tedtropy

tedtropy Member

I searched around abit on the forums before deciding to post them, but as I was unable to arrive to any real conclusions, I figured I'd post the question as a thread. I've noticed while reading on this forum that there's generally two schools when it comes to re-encoding a dual-layer movie to fit on a DVD5 - those that prefer DVD2One, and those that prefer DVDShrink. While I find DVD2One's chapter selection support to be nice, from when I've used it, I've noticed that it isn't nearly as customizable in terms of compression ratios and that its interface is down right ugly compared to DVDShrink (not that that really matters in the end). Has DVD2One traditionally proven to make more reliable DVDs than DVDShrink. Are there any resounding reasons to use one over the other? I appreciate any and all feedback, thanks...

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

People have their reasons for one over the other, as do you I see. Shrink is free which means a lot to some people. DVD2one has some cool stuff that can be done with chapters, cells and layers but without a preview it's kind of tedious. The video quality of the programs these days is very similiar, so it's more of a choice on what you feel comfortable using. I don't think any program produces 'more reliable' copies per se. I use AnyDVD these days (no more ripping). If I'm being lazy I use InstantCopy 8, movie only, and just burn direct to disc (start it and just walk away). I also like Nero's Recode 2. Shrink also works well but I see no advantage to using it over Recode if you own Nero 6.

3. tedtropy

tedtropy Member

I appreciate the feedback, and you've given me some other programs to look into as well. Working on perfecting my own DVD-burning science and every bit helps.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there tedtropy,

Welcome to our little corner of the net :)

Think of it like ice cream, people like different flavors, no explanation why - they just do :D

Me, well I like variety - when time isn't a factor, I like them all - in the order of preference here is what I use -

Pete's Basic Cooking Recipes

1. DVDShrink (ver. 3.0 Beta 5, ver. 3.1.4 and ver. 3.1.6 Beta 2) + Nero

2. DVD43 / AnyDVD (I have both) + CloneDVD

3. DVD43 / AnyDVD + DVD2One

4. DVD43 / AnyDVD + Nero Recode 2

5. DVD Decrypter in File mode, (for DVD-5's) + Nero

6. DVD XCopy Xpress (ver. 2.5.1, 3.0 and 3.2.1) + 321 Gone

7. Decrypter in ISO mode

There ya go -

Pete

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Come on....

FREE versus Cost

What would you choose ;-)

6. zoidy

zoidy Member

In it! (lol)

7. elmos

elmos Member

I used DVD Shrink to backup a new movie out and was still told that it is toooo big for my DVD+RW. The movie ended up being over 5 GB and the DVD+RW is only 4.7 GB.
    This is a 2 disk set now so I really didn't want to rip it to 2 disks per.
    I tried DVDClone with AnyDVD and still the same thing.
    Will DVD2One do better than Shrink or am I defeated?

8. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

elmos, DVD Shrink has a limit to the amount of compression it can apply (due to its compression algorithm).
    I think DVD2One does not have this limit.
    However, the usual workaround is to shrink the "shrunk" files a second time, ignoring the "Files too big..." error message. ;)

P.S: have you tried doing a movie-only backup using DVD Shrink "Re-author" mode?

9. raj2004

raj2004 Guest

Yow all!

The first ever DVD i copied i used DVD Shrink and it was so easy and simple.

However some DVDs have the protection so i had to search the net to find programs.

At the moment i use DVD Decrypter to copy to the hard drive then Clone dvd to burn on the DVD+r.

Theres so many dvd programs out there, use the guides on this site they help alot!

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

raj2004,

They all are protected - DVDShrink will do the majority of them - in some rare cases you'll need the brute force of Decrypter to blast them open them for you, then select "Open files" in Shrink and continue on - -

Pete
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  11. aymin101

aymin101 Member

I started off with DVD Shrink + Nero6 but for some reason it was incredibly slow on my PC.

Now i use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD, DVD2One to encode it and CopyToDVD to burn it.
    Three very easy to use programs that are as straightforward to follow as can be.
    The quality of the movies is perfectly fine, too.

12. Arkfeld

Arkfeld Guest

yes

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2006
  13. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

I agree I only use DVD Shrink if I back up a tv series dvd like I have recently backed up 10 of My only fools and horses dvd's

but I only use it for that I stick with an early version of
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD2ONE
    Nero

works fine for My set up that what I use anyways

14. zoidy

zoidy Member

Well I'm surprised.
    Me? I'm using
    DVD Shrink 3.1 with the Nero 6 burning software (engine)
    75 DataSafe disc's burned.
    No special knowledge of the process.

Not a single issue...

DVD shrink everytime!

Zoidy

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yep, Yep, can't argue with it, that's why there are so many different programs and they are all selling - people like different things - Chevys - Fords - Dodges - they all work -

Like has been said for 10,000 years - Whatever floats your boat - :D

Pete

16. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

dvd shrink is way better quality.

17. tedtropy

tedtropy Member

Since I started this mess of a topic, figured I may as well contribute again. ;) My present personal ripping method is... decrypt the original DVD using the latest version of DVD Decrypter. I take that output and load it into Nero Recode 2.0, edit and compress it how I like, then burn it using the latest version of Nero on my Ritek G04 DVD-Rs. I've had pretty much 99.9% success with this method. Plus, Nero Recode allows you to edit out features WHILE mantaining a functional menu. When you select a feature you edited out from the menu on the DVD, you can customize a placeholder graphic or a solid color. It works surprisingly well. Its interface is rediculously similar to DVDShrink, in fact, one might say they just plain ripped off alot of the UI, but nonetheless, it's a really fucntional program. I like DVDShrink, think it's a wonderful program, just for my purposes, Nero Recode makes more sense. Anywho, keep the topic going, I love to see everyone's particular methods. Thanks.

18. daba

daba Guest

Shrink ? Recode ? DVD2One ? It's not exactly like ice creams. Not just a question of flavor. The purpose of these tools is compressing files (so that they take up on a 4.7 Gb disc). And they don't all achieve the same quality in this matter. Actually Shrink and its twin Recode are the worst compressing tools according to dvd.box.sk. Have a look at http://dvd.box.sk/articles8.php.

I often use Shrink because it's very user-friendly, but if the image quality level goes under 90%, I prefer to switch to DVD2One. I compressed "The Bourne identity" with Shrink 3.1.5. The quality level was 82%. Now I can see the image quality loss when watching the movie. From then on I use DVD2One when it comes to compression.

19. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Intersesting test you posted. Confused by Shrink ver. 1.3.1 though, seems a bit old. Too bad they didn't test InstantCopy 8 (my personal quality fav) or the latest version of Recode either. But it seems like InterVideo DVD Copy may be worth a look.

Here's another test (some older versions again, though).

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/114/2

20. daba

daba Guest

It's actually Shrink 3.1, even if the article states 1.3.1. Just have a look at the Shrink screenshots.