1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2One vs. DVDShrink

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by tedtropy, Feb 14, 2004.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well, Excuse Meeeee,

3 mouse clicks equals 1 complicated ?? Me thinks at one time perhaps, but not now.

The above mentioned 3 clicks - 1 to rip, 1 to backup to HD and burn to disc - (the last click, for "OK")

DVD2One is fast, no doubt, that's why I bought it - but, then you need to burn it - The extra step means baby sitting my PC instead of enjoying dinner and a TV show :)

(Had to edit because the burn program added more clicks to the DVD2One program - heh, heh)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  2. drchips

drchips Active member

But I want it to be ONE-CLICK, not THREE!!!!

<pouts> ;)

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(hand on Doc's sholder)

[bold]Me sorry "Doc", Uncle ScubaPete will find a 1 click just for you -[/bold]

(always want ta watch out for my "Amigo" Buddy)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  4. rico16

rico16 Member

I've had problems with both DVD shrink and DVD2ONE making the output slightly larger than 4.36 GB. This appears to be due to the guesswork when using a variable bit rate. You can either lower the output size to 4300 MB instead of the default or 4472 or use a constant bit rate. Both of these options corrected the problem with hardly any noticeable video quality loss.

It only seems to affect some movies. For me it's about 1 in 20 backups.

Trevor

5. coreydj

coreydj Member

dvd shrink is not complivated...i'm slow but not lazy. shrink works well...for me

6. Piablo76

Piablo76 Member

I found that doing a deep analysis with dvd shrink offers better quality when you have to deal with compression - or am I seeing things? - it takes longer to rip but its worth it for movies like HEAT.

7. faizal5k

faizal5k Member

DVD Shrink rules man! First, it's free. It has very good options and is not too confusing so it is simplae to use.
    I really like the interface on this program. I also do what raj2004 does, I use a program called DVD Decrypter (ALSO FREE) to rip the DVD. I use DVD Shrink to shrink them down to a smaller size to fit a a single DVD-R (or +R). more information at http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/darktips/story/0,24330,3605537,00.html

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Faizal5k,

And I was worried about my tiny motorcycle taking up to much room! :D

Shrink is my favorite program too, I use it as my primary ripping tool.

Do you right click on the preview window so you can select the audio you want to use?

Cheers,
    Frank

9. cretin

cretin Member

Hi all

just read all the posts very interesting I am new to this but use DVD Shrink with great effect if DVD is large I reauther and just rip film also saves 5 mins flicking through menu's while your food is going cold :)

I see that disc quality is mentioned, 90% of the discs around the shops and computer fairs I go to are DataWrite DVD-R (Yellow Disc)they are the budget end and I must admit I have only backed up about 20 but no probs so far what are ppls opinion on these discs

System athlon 2.6 barton 512 3200Ram 220gig space,ti4600 Medion(pioneer flashed 106D)

10. bigroy

bigroy Guest

I want to thank all of you guys for the help! I have used all the programs that you have mentioned, with 100% results. I now only use my Xcopy XPress when I get lazy. I wanted to mention that I had Record Now software installed, it came with my HP 300i, when I installed Nero 6 Ultra, my computer rebelled. I had to uninstall the Record Now. The Nero works slick!!!!!!!!!!

11. faizal5k

faizal5k Member

Yes. You can right click and then choose what type of audio to use. I do the same :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  12. grogey

grogey Guest

In my poor little country girls opinions, if you have the time it is worth doing the deep analysis in Shrink - I reckon the results are better. After spending (OMG!!) nearly 3 hours tonight reading reading and more reading of posts - I think I know quite a lot more about Shrink than I did at 8pm yesterday. Although I have surprised myself as to how much I had picked up through trial and error and clicking on every thing possible.

Great to pick up little tidbits of info like it now being able to read isos and how I can alter the output size to a custom size.........which brings me to my next question. As many of you would be aware I did get my hands on 3 lovely stacks of Riteks.......but I still have way too many of the crappy stuff sitting on my shelf going to waste.

With 3 kids (little angels ) I find that fingerprints and scratches are a fact of life. Hence the reason for purchasing a DVD burner in the first place. (yes yes I am getting to the question in point but at 4.06am ones brain is a bit overclocked and rambles on a bit......or is that the ADHD? lol .

I've noticed a few posts suggesting to cut down the output size to leave some blank room at the edge of the disc - and of course with these cheaper crappy media it is the ends of the movies where the skipping and freezing occurs.

Has anyone had success reducing the output size down enough that this doesn't (always) occur on crappy media? If so what file size did you go for? I just feel it is a waste of money to have those discs sitting there collecting dust and if I can use them to make a specific back-up set of G & PG rated dvds for the munchkins to use I'd be most happy and they would be most thrilled as they'd be allowed to touch DVDs again!!

Anyone other than me touching DVDs in my house is currently banned - especially after doing irrepairable damage to my all time favourite movie Bridget Jones' Diary Nearly had the firing squad out but opted instead to a ban on watching anything other than what Mum chooses for a week and a lifetime ban on touchies!!!

Sorry enough rambling for one night........might go hit the bed now........ but then if I just check out a couple more threads............

And yes in case you are all wondering my message bank says it all atm "Hi, don't you realise it is school holidays and I am child free? If you are ringing too early I am still in bed. If you are ringing too late I am out partying and if its the middle of the day then I'm working. So leave a message......etc.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    who says "The best revenge is to live a good life" and
    "Aim for CHARM not PERFECTION"
    http://groups.msn.com/APatchworkPlace/_whatsnew.msnw[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2004
  13. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

lol @ [bold]grogey[/bold]

If you still have crappy media to use up , I would suggest reducing the filesize down to about 4000mb & burning as slow as possible (and of course leaving the comp alone while it does this , no other applications open)

! : )

14. herbsman

P.S It might help to do a Movie-Only back also as you'll be able to keep better video quality (than if menu + extras were included).

15. grogey

grogey Guest

Thanks you treasures! Will have a burl at doing just that this arvo. The request is for Josie and The Pussycats - although quite frankly I'm not sure I could even bear to watch it in the preview window LOL - 40 odd viewings is already enough!!

Don't kids amaze you - they just wanna watch the same thing over and over and over again. I must say I am glad they are now at the age where we are watching "real" movies rather than the good old Disney animated movies or "The Wiggles".......ooohhhhh sends a shiver up my spine just thinking about it.

I have a fairly decent collection - so it isn't as if they don't have variety to choose from......but they just keep going back to the same old favourites.

Will let you know how the process goes.

16. herbsman

I must of had to sit thru watching 'Mary Poppins' a couple of hundred thousand times (with my niece & nephew) - [bold]lmao[/bold]
    And as for animated Disney films , do go there homegirl *shake of the head from side to side*

;-)

P.S. Let me know how you get on with cheapo media & movie-only method (?)

17. bru8002

bru8002 Member

[bold]Finally![/bold] I have finally made compies of my DVD's that are CSS encrypted. I used DVD shrink to compress my multisession DVD's and then Nero 6 to burn them. The quality is pretty damn good, but after previewing the movies I find that many of the extra stuff I don't want or need. I know there are ways to take it out, but I don't want to A)leave out any necessary parts, and B)disturb the quality. I'd rather just have the video and have a good quality DVD. Please help me with the easiest programs to use to do this- nick=aim s/n

18. herbsman

I personally believe using DVD2One is the best way to do a movie-only back up.
    Rip main movie VOBs & title set IFO , then run them thru DVD2One (which'll create needed BUP & IFO files so as to make the structure ready for a VIDEO_TS folder)
    Lastly use Nero (or other) to burn [bold]: )[/bold]

19. djsteen

djsteen Member

Hmmm.. I've been watching the posts and have gathered more and more knowledge! I've decrypted my Pirates of the Caribbean dvd again and it produces 'MDS' and 'I00' files. Then I use Nero Recode 2 to remove extras I don't want and then I tell it to encode the files to the dvd and they encode them, but not to the dvd. Also, If I try to open the decrypted files with DVD Shrink it says it doesn't recognise them. I'm quite confused. :s

20. faizal5k

faizal5k Member

You can also burn the movie only in DVD Shrink by using the Re-Author option.