1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd2onex confusion

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by gamblino, Mar 6, 2005.

1. gamblino

gamblino Guest

Thanks to all the great advice on this forum. I'm not very good with my mac, but was able to successfully rip a movie onto the HD. Now I'm trying to use DVD2oneX and am having some problems.

I've been trying to compress but the end result is an .img file that is 8+ GB. Why would this happen?

I've tried it a couple times now and it has always given the same results. I noticed that on the DVD2oneX window, in the large field at the bottom, it shows a title "1" , with 28 chapters, 1 angle and a duration of 1:46:57. There's also a title "2" line below that, which is identical. Am I compressing two copies of the film? And if so, how can I not do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

If it's giving you an .img file it's because you have "create image" checked. 1. what movie are you trying? 2. do you have disk copy or movie only as your copy preference?

What version are you using?

In my experience even if it's not completely compressed popcorn will compress the rest and burn, quality has been great thus far.

Tekk

3. gamblino

gamblino Guest

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using DVD2oneX v.1.4.2. The movie is "Fog of War". I have the copy preference at "movie only". The output is set at the default 4472.

Now, I have "create image" checked because I was under the impression that I had to have one in order to burn. (I don't really understand what an "image" is, though).

Also, I was hoping that I could use "disk utility" to burn, as I just spent $70 on DVD2oneX and was trying to avoid buying more software.

thanks again.

4. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

Don't check create image.

Create image creats an .iso file which your mac recognizes as a drive, like when you plug in an ipod or external harddrive. When it's not checked you creats a Video_TS and Audio_TS file. Now you can burn both a .iso and video_TS, however I haven't particularly experimented with image, which is why I recommend unchecking it.

I've never tryed that movie so I can't give you specifics.

You can't use Disk utility, but popcorn is fairly resonable($50USD) for the quality of burning that you get. In fact I believe your only other option is Roxio's Toast, which is $80USD.

Yes it's expensive, but it's starting costs my friend.

Tekk

5. Londor

Londor Guest

You are wrong. If you check "Create image" on DVD2OneX you
    will get a disc image in UDF format that can be burned using
    Disk Utility.

http://www.dvd2one.com/osxutil.php

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
  6. gamblino

gamblino Guest

Ok, but whether I use Toast or Disk Utility, I can't burn it to a disk when it's 8+GB. How did it go from a 4+GB file to a file twice the size?

Unfortunately, this isn't very intuitive for me. Mac the Ripper was great and easy to use. Instructions were very clear. Not so with DVD2oneX.

7. Londor

Londor Guest

Have you read the link in my previous post? It is a step-by-step guide on how to use DVD2OneX.

8. Tekk415

Tekk415 Member

I stand corrected.

Hail Londor?

Tekk

9. gamblino

gamblino Guest

Ok! So I can't say that I did anything differently than I did before. In fact, it seemed like I did the exact same thing. Only this time it worked. Got a file that was the right size after compression, burned using Disk Utility, and the disc works like a charm. Thanks for your help, and thanks for the DVD2oneX guide. Much appreciated.

Thanks!