1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2SVCD audio quality

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by craigslee, Sep 26, 2002.

1. craigslee

craigslee Member

I am using DVD2SVCD and the end product is a superb video quality but I get distorted/crackly audio (the volume level is high). Can anyone explain what might be happening, or what adjustments would be the most appropriate? I have tried both TMPGenc, and CCE-SP encoding, or is it just gain levels with BeSweet?
    Thanks in advance...

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

This sounds like a problem with down mixing the audio. I don't use dvd2svcd guide to create svcd backups. I would use dvd2avi as a frameserver of TMPGEnc.

If this sounds like Im speaking Swahili, take a look at some of afterdawns articles (make sure to look at the dvd to Video-Cd guide, that will show you how to frameserver TMPGEnc with dvd2avi).

Anymore questions?, just ask!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2002
  3. Dela

Sorry I read you're question so fast I missed the part where you said you used tmpgenc. But was that used with the file you created with the dvd2svcd guide????

4. craigslee

craigslee Member

Hi Dela,
    Thanx for responding. I have previously been using the smartripper (RIP vob's),Graphedit (all to AVI), and TMPGEnc (to mpeg1/2), but I thought it was too long a process. The AVI from Graphedit is superb, but on some occasions I was getting the second CD a little out of sync with TMPGEnc. So that's why I've investigated the DVD2SVCD option - I've heard good raves about it. CCE-SP seems to work better with DVD2SVCD, I like the fact that I set it all up and press go then wait.I also like the fact that can get into AVIsynth script to tidy up (and minimise)the final output. its just the audio attenuation/gain/crackle thats got me beat.
    Surely there's a simple reason?

Thanks again Dela

5. Dela

I would still recommend you use dvd2avi - tmpgenc frameserving. Dvd2avi will only be sending picture + audio to tmpgenc so you only have to wait the amount of time tmpgenc will take.

Also to solve a little sync problem you should, encode the whole movie first and then split it using merge and cut in tmpgenc.

I don't really like dvd2svcd guide very much cause im used to something else. I use tmpgenc (the plus version) + dvd2avi because the quality set to highest is amazing at even a low birate.

I've read the dvd2svcd guide (great work dRD) but I never really tried it. I never really bothered using dvd2avi to encode a movie either, i just frameserve with it.

But I'll tell you what. You learn how to frameserve and Il start trying the dvd2svcd guide. Im only joking of coarse but I really dont know that much about that guide. Sorry.