1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2SVCD encoding times, please post your results

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Shoey, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Where the opinion poll? Just kiddin'...
    Ok, those of you who use DVD2SVCD and do your own dvd rips, encode with either CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder), TMPEnc or Canopus ProCoder please post your encode times (not including dvd rip\burn).

My rig is posted below my sig:
    2 hour movie using CCE= 9 hours at multi-pass vbr4, audio at 224 kbps.

Shoey :)

2. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Well let see. I run 2400Ghz Processor - 1Gig of Ram - ATI 9700 Video Card - 120 Gig Hard Drive - 60 gig External Hard Drive

2 hour movie using CCE = 4 hours at multi-pass vbr4, audio at 192 kbps.

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

AMD (Athlon) or Pentium 4?

PC?= SD-DDR?

Overclock?

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2003
  4. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Opps sorry bout that. No not overclocked

AMD Athlon XP processor
    1.0 GB/PC2100 2 DIMM

5. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

Labrat:

What is your encoding speed in CCE? I mean the realtime speed... 2.5X? nice speed.

6. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Most of the time it run 2.0 to 2.2. Yes it is a nice speed, alot faster than my last system I was using.

Ok so I exaggerated just a bit. It usually take right around 6 hours. This is for you Shoey ;-)__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Despite All My Rage - I'm Still Just A Rat In A Cage!
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  7. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

For me DVD to SVCD with CCE SP, 4 pass vbr would take easily about 10 hours, for avi to svcd, about 5 or 6 hours!

8. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

Why are you using 4pass vbr... have you try the Bach metod? Only one (actual) vbr pass and great quality...

9. Dela

I encode while i sleep usually so i dont care about time taken and stuff like that!

10. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

Just a wast of time... I dont sleep at all :eek:)

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

By default, DVD2SVCD uses multi-pass vbr3 and the video playback is [bold] far better [/bold] than 1pass. Please don't endorse multi-pass vbr1 when using DVD2SVCD m8. Dela and I have backed up countless dvd2svcd and the both of us can confirm the more pass(es), the better video playback.

[bold] Adder_78 [/bold]
    Are the links posted underneath your sig your homepage m8?

Forum Rules^
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2003
  12. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

Yes I know that multi-pass vbr make great quality (I'm no Newbie but my english sucks :). _But_ when you just find the right Q-value (Q that correspond the wanted movie size) with doing only ONE PASS VBR method then the results are allmost same. The time that you save is great. (I have guide but it's in finnish)

And yes I host the www.mpegit.net. Sorry but the english part of the site is very poor and there is only couple good guides in finnish. I'm actually looking for webmaster for that english part of the site ;o)

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Ok so how would he\she find the "Q-Value" (after ripping a dvd) [/bold] before [/bold] he\she starts the encoding process? (DVD2SVCD& CCE encoder). Note I'm not talking about converting....

14. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

With simple Avisynth script (if the N/M=4):

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
    mpeg2source("G:\movie\movie.d2v")
    ConvertToYUY2()
    AddAudio()
    [bold]SelectRangeEvery(1200,12)[/bold]

That would encode only ~1% of the movie (using that One pass VBR). So the trick is to change the Q-value in CCE (2.50) and then just 100*movie.m2v+audio+(subtitles etc)=wanted_filesize. If the size is ok then just remove the last line of the avisynth script and then encode again with CCE (so it will encode the whole movie)

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
    mpeg2source("G:\movie\movie.d2v")
    ConvertToYUY2()
    AddAudio()

That script was very simple no filters etc... I allways try to do about 7-10% bigger the filesize than what that Q-testing actually gives because it's not that correct.

For example if I want 4 gigs *.mpv then I should try to find Q-value that would give about 43Mb. So the 100*43Mb=4.3Gigs but when you encode the movie it's allways about 7-10% smaller so it should be about 4 Gigs.

Sorry my poor english :eek:) If you have any questions please ask :eek:)

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Adder_78,
    I (Afterdawn) appreciate your advanced knowledge in svcd encoding and DVD2SVCD program. If you haven't noticed many nOObs post here so I don't give them "meat" (infants) on my reply posts unless I know what they're talking about within the first few posts. The "meat" is translated as if a Mother has a infant, she first gives them milk and I ask anyone not to take offense at my "comparison". What I do know is that the latest AVISynth is a bit "unstable" as when one first installs DVD2SVCD one has the choice to install a choice of 2 versions. I'm advanced enough in this field to give "your" method a go and see if the video playback is as equal to (worse\better) than multi-pass vbr4. I advise nOObs reading this thread to stick to the basics unless your advanced in encoding, and DVD2SVCD program.
    ===============================================
    [bold] NOTE 1 [/bold]
    DVD2SVCD does NOT directly support Batch mode processing of movies. This is handy if you wish to process a few small TV Episodes or cartoons in the one evening. But it can be done, run DVD2SVCD, load in movie, set everything up to your liking and particular the folder you will be saving/encoding to. Hit Go and start the conversion. Let it run for 2-3 seconds until you see the long line about DVD2AVI come up. Then close DVD2SVCD by clicking the small X top right of its window. Go immediately to the task bar and right click on the DVD2AVI button and select Close. Repeat this for all the movies/episodes you wish to convert but be careful to select a different Default Output Folder for each movie. I use MOVIE1, MOVIE2, etc folders. Now go to the folder where you installed DVD2SVCD and you will see a file called dvd2svcd batch.bat. Open this in Notepad and add the following lines so it will look similar to:

@ECHO OFF
    REM DVD2SVCD Batch Control
    "E:\DVD2SVCD\DVD2SVCD.exe" -d2s:"H:\MOVIE1\dvd2svcd project file.d2s" -run -exit
    "E:\DVD2SVCD\DVD2SVCD.exe" -d2s:"H:\MOVIE2\dvd2svcd project file.d2s" -run -exit

where E:\DVD2SVCD\ is the folder where you have DVD2SVCD installed and H:\MOVIE1\ is the folder where you have selected all will be encoded to. These will probably be different on every computer. Now Save the file, create a shortcut on your desktop to this file and when you are ready, run it. The above example will now process the 2 movies set up and info saved in Movie1 and Movie2 folders. If you wish to shut the computer down after encoding, change the -exit to -shutdown in the last line. I have sucessfully done up to 7 episodes this way without a problem.

The above is for Windows 2000 or XP. If your running Windows 98 or ME, you need to put a Start /WAIT in front of each line like:

Start /WAIT "E:\DVD2SVCD\DVD2SVCD.exe" -d2s:"H:\MOVIE1\dvd2svcd project file.d2s" -run -exit.
    ===============================================

16. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

Yes I understand that the so called Bach-method is not for Newbies. But I was just wondering why advanced users like yourself and Dela are using 4pass method... Because its really a waste of time (just my opinion). Advanced users should use advanced methods :eek:) LOL

And if you have very slow computer then the One Pass VBR is great option if you dont want to wait for 20 hours for encoding. I know it's not the simple way to go but when you learn it once then it's easy. And you can use the same method with (X)VCD, (X)SVCD, DVD-R etc.

There is also one nice way to use the DVD2SVCD to do the Audio part, Subtitles, good avisynth script and then just stop the DVD2SVCD when the encoding process starts with CCE and use the Bach-method then just adding the one line in the end of the skript etc... It's so easy but it will require good guide and I just dont have time to do it in english :eek:/

But you should really try that method once... :eek:)

17. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Excuse me m8 but the [bold] author of Eazy VCD [/bold] doesn't endorse "your method". I've encoded "episodes" in batch mode and with the naked eye, the video quality is the same m8. I'm running a fast cpu, front side bus, ata\133 hd to encode as recommended. Doom9 and many other "popular" forums (S)VCD doesn't endorse or mention this method while backing up dvd2svcd. My dvd backups are of great video quality and I intend to backup multi-pass vbr4 (movies).

DVD2DVD-R, you only need to use DVD2SVCD backing up DVD-9 double layer or type 3 DVD's that require re-encoding (DVD is a DVD9 (double layer > 4.37gb) but maim movie + audio is > 4.37gb)

Forum Rules^
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

18. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

Me too but only 4 times faster. And the quality is same (my opinion).

Yes I know. Like I said before I'm no newbie :eek:)

Here is more info about mr Bach's methods (Doom9 forum user Bach):
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=4baaed8b95f7d11da9fab3ebc50c5f5b&threadid=54570
    and
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41033&highlight=prediction

EDIT: One link more

19. Dela

lol, an argument over quality! tehehe, well its simple, some of us like multipass vbr, others dont :)

20. Adder_78

Adder_78 Guest

It's not argument over quality... just a option to do the same thing but much faster.