1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2SVCD questions (a big no audio in SVCD problem)

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by RealMe, Aug 11, 2004.

1. RealMe

RealMe Member

Hi all,

I've been following this great forum to be able to make a SVCD file for DVD viewing. I rip from VHS using FlyDS, which I just found, thank god, because apparently it's the only one that hasn't got a serious frames dropping problem. I've tried VD, Virtual VCR and IuVCR but none were as steady as FlyDS, in my case.
    I use the HuffYuv codec to get the AVI file and then DVD2SVCD to convert to SVCD.
    I have a few questions but first and foremost is a big problem of not having audio in the final SVCD. I've tried every related setting I could see, but still no audio. The AVI of course is video+audio.
    I was using TMPGENC 2.5 before with no audio problem.
    Tried working with CCE 2.66 SP Trial as well but got an ECL error so I switched to the full CCE 2.5 version. I get no sound in either that or with TMPGENC now.
    I hope someone can clear this problem first but here are some other points that I hope someone can clear:

1.The ripped video is a PAL one and I set the AVI to be a NTSC one, 23.97 (Nothing more precise in FlyDS). The final SVCD should be played on a NTSC DVD player. When I input the AVI to DVD2SVCD I get a message that the framerate will be converted to the right one (I assume 23.976?)
    2. Is 640*480 full NTSC resolution? Is it more quality wise to use 720*480? I want the SVCD to be played as a full screen video.
    3.Why is DVD2SVCD changing the resolution of the SVCD to 480*480? How does that affect the full screen viewing?
    4.I saw here somewhere, but can't find again, a reference to the noise created in the bottom of the played AVI, cause it's a VHS rip and how to fix it. Can someone please direct me to the right link?

These should do for now. I'd much appreciate any advice you can throw in my way.

2. RealMe

RealMe Member

A little addition. This is what I see in Gspot about the AVI file:

Audio codec: Mpeg-1 Layer 2, 44 KHz, CBR 160
    (a bit strange because I was using layer 3)

In the "Proposed codec solution" for audio, in Gspot, I get:
    Elcard Mpeg2 Demultiplexer -> Moonlight Odio Dekoda
    No idea what's that...

3. RealMe

RealMe Member

Well, it seems to be a developing situation... :)
    I just tried the PCM audio codec. I was reluctant to use it because it's uncompressed but to my surprise I got a slightly smaller file with it than with MP3.
    How can that be?
    Anyway, I was delighted to discover, as well, that a tiny video\audio sync problem, which I meant to tackle l8r on, seemed to have been corrected :)
    So, I have this rather good AVI and I run DVD2SVCD to encode and what a mess : there is sound but sync is awful :-(
    BTW, I used 48 KHz and downscaled to 44 in DVD2SVCD.
    The program wouldn't work with original PCM 44.
    So, if someone has an idea what has to be fixed before conversion...