1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD43 causing serious problems. Need help.

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Kurgan, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

My brother wanted some help setting up some ripping software (he's a newbie), and told me he'd heard about some new form of copy protection. I hadn't heard about it yet, since I'd kinda drifted away from ripping lately, so I went over to MrBass to see if he had anything to say. Right away there's a recommendation to use DVD43, an "on-the-fly" decoder. Sounded good to me, so I had my bro download it, and I grabbed it, too.

We installed it together at the same time (he's running XP Home, I've got Pro), me helping him along over the phone. God, was this ever a mistake. Both our systems crashed instantly after it was installed. Problem is, we each uninstalled it right away, but both of our systems are slow, unstable, and crash immediately when we try to shut down. Additionally, my system is experiencing all sorts of hangups and problems that I can't explain (browser and email client errors and stalls). No virus or anything, just something with this program that left its mark and won't go away, and I can't figure it out to save my life.

Here's the BSOD error that comes up:

Page_Fault_In_NonPaged_Area
    STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF000EFF7, 0x00000000, 0xBF830D03, 0x00000000)

Win32K.sys - Address BF830D03 base at BF800000, Datestamp 41107f7a.

Followed by the usual memory dump and note to contact my administrator. So, of course, I quickly contacted myself. Gee, that was easy. <Slamming head on wall>

I did a little digging about this error, and found others on the net that had gotten it from other software installations (but couldn't find any decent or applicable solutions, or any specifically referring to DVD43). Common things mentioned were video drivers, device drivers (CD/DVD), and a lot of assumptions that the system memory had gone bad. Yeah, I don't think so. Not too hard to figure out the nature of the problem, at least. DVD43 did something to a base driver involving the drives, I think, but I just can't figure out how to ID exactly what it did to fix it.

Anywho, I'm stuck, and frustrated, and desperately need some more experienced advice. I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting, but this one's got me cold, and two systems depend on figuring this friggin' problem out. If anyone can toss in their two cents and nail this critter, I'll name a bunt cake after ya. :)

Thx.

Kurgan

2. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Hi,

What version of DVD43 did you install? Some older versions of this proggy required the Patin Couffin access layer in order to operate. If you didn't have that, it probably caused some errors. The newest version of DVD43 doesn't require that and is purely standalone. You can obtain it @ www.dvd43.com

If you want to bypass and back-up your dvd, I suggest you either use AnyDVD (http://slysoft.com) or DVD Region+CSS Free. These have more options than dvd43 and can bypass the newer encryptions better (such as Sony's ARccOS). These both are not free, but you can try them with full functionality for a limited number of weeks before you have to register and pay'em. Do a search on the site using the search function on the top of the page to see which works best. With dvds coming out with newer protections/encryptions, these two proggys will also get updated to bypass them. The are worth the money. One or the other is fine to use, but many users prefer AnyDVD...

About the problem that DVD43 caused, some things are needed:

- What are your computer specs?
    - What version of dvd43 did you install?
    - When did you first encounter the problem by
    doing what?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  3. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

Well, oddly enough the problem seems to have been fixed, but I'll answer your questions, since I still don't know what happened, and in case it comes up again for someone else.

I was on the phone with my brother. He wanted to learn to rip DVDs, and I was telling him about DVDShrink. He mentioned a new copy protection he'd heard about, so I quickly looked, and ended up on MrBass.org, where it suggested getting DVD43. So, we both downloaded it (newest version), installed it, and both immediately had those problems. I even went and installed the Patin Couffin stuff (didn't help), but then found out it wasn't needed any longer with the newer versions. Oh well, no harm done there.

Long story short, for me it somehow fixed itself. I was testing out some firewall programs, trying to find one I liked that would do what I needed (I was having a problem that I've since figured out how to avoid in any of them, --whew!), and somewhere in the process of installing and uninstalling three or four of them, the problem went away and the system was able to reboot without locking up and giving me the blue screen of death. Really weird. So my brother calls me back up and is wanting to know if I've figured this thing out yet since it was driving him crazy. I remembered one of the webpages I'd read while digging into this, and decided to try something simple first, since my "solution" wasn't something I could reproduce for him. I had him redownload DVD43 and reinstall it, with the intention of doing the uninstall again, in case the first attempt didn't work (maybe some file was in use, so it couldn't uninstall). Well, we didn't even have to go that far. He installed it, and before he did the uninstall again, I told him to wait and put a DVD in (that would lock him up in a heartbeat from this problem). Sure enough, this time it worked, and his system didn't lock up. So, he's back up and running, and has DVD43 working now. Really weird sequence of events on this one, that's for sure, but all seems to be well now, so I can't complain.

Thanks for the response. :)

Kurgan

4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

In my humble opinion, the best thing you can do for the future to avoid conflicts and errors is to dump DVD43 and use AnyDVD. That is the best retail decryptor going. If you want freeware get DVD Decryptor, another good program.