1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD5 to DVD9

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by keltin29, Jan 14, 2007.

1. keltin29

keltin29 Member

Hi All,

I’ve read a billion web sites and many posts on how to rip DVDs, and actually, I’m pretty good at it. BUT, the problem is, I always take a DVD5 to DVD5 or a DVD9 to DVD5.

No problem there.

Today I am faced with an weird problem. I’ve got two DVD5 discs (a Playstation game) that should be a single DVD9 disc. I know where the layer break is supposed to be.

My problem is, of all my programs (UltraISO, DVDDecrypter, IMGBurn, Nero, DVDShrink, DVDFab, Clone DVD, Apache, etc), I’ve not got none that can take multiple files and put them together in a valid DVD9 format where you are allowed to specify layer breaks. My idea is, if the ISO is properly built, then Apache (a PS2 specific ISO utility) will see it AND the layer break. So far, nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas how to take 7 Gig of data and convert it to a valid DVD9 ISO (on your harddrive for testing first) along with the ability to specify the layer breaks. Basically, I have 17 files. 16 go on Layer 0 and the last goes on Layer 1. The IMG file is already created, but none of my afore mentioned programs recognizes the format (it is a PS2 game).

So far, I've been able to use Nero to make an ISO containing all files, and DVDDecrypter burned it, but I got the same error message (this disc can not be played) as if I had simply loaded the Layer 1 disc by itself. This makes me think that the .pak file for layer 0 got placed on layer 1 and the .pak file for layer 1 was burned to layer 0.

Any ideas?

2. keltin29

keltin29 Member

UPDATE:

Found a copy of CDVDGEN Ver 1.50. It supports Dual Layered burns. However, you’re supposed to get two errors when you hit record and I only get the first one. I’ve update the WNAPSI DLL and still nothing.

I tried exporting the IML files, but it only exports one layer at a time so I have TWO IML files (one for each layer).

Anyone know how to get DVDGEN to actually make a dual layered IML file or how to combine two IML files into one ISO?

3. keltin29

keltin29 Member

UPDATE:

I learned that I had a “bad” copy of CDVDGen 1.5 in that it had been patched and would not burn/make the xxxx.001 files but instead relied on making only the IML files which then required the use of IML2ISO. That worked fine to make a single layer ISO at a time, but I was still having a problem in getting CDVDGen to make an actual DVD9 ISO in one shot.

After much searching, I found an original copy of CDVDGen 1.5 with the help files in tact. Turns out the CDVDGen can NOT and was never able to make a dual layered ISO. According to the help files, you can only make one layer at a time.

I went ahead and made the xxxx.001 files for each layer (naming them appropriately) and ran all of them through the CDVDGen builder. It came back with a large ISO that apparently had all of the files in it.

However, Apache did not recognize it as a DVD9 ISO (could not access Layer 1). I tried burning it anyway and made an expensive DL coaster. Bummer.

It seems that there is a piece of the puzzle missing. CDVDGen does not make a DVD9 ISO, but instead makes a Layer 0 image and a Layer 1 image. The missing piece of this puzzle is what is supposed to be used to combine these two images in to one valid DVD9 ISO. That may be a question I never get answered.

So for now, I’m abandoning this project.