1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD9 games on messiah or magic 3

Discussion in 'PS2' started by eUf3i, Apr 25, 2003.

1. eUf3i

eUf3i Member

is it possible to play DVD9(pirated) games on these 2 mod chips?
    Because yesterday i bought a modchip called V9 and the salesman claim that it can play DVD9 games(pirated) unlike the other 2 modchips

2. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Wow that's a new one. The only problem is owning a burner that can burn DVD9. A little pricey..LOL

DVD-9 burners are still commercial products. I think you'll have a very hard time owning and buying one.

As far as I know.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2003
  3. Zenica

Zenica Member

I think JVegas hit the issue on the head. Magic 3.1 supports DVD9 but where are you going to get a DVD drive that can write DVD9 discs? :=) Dual layer.. /shudder

4. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Q: Why aren't blank or pirated DVD9 available in the market?

A: Well creating a DVD9 is not an easy process. There are two layers in a DVD9 Disc. One is opaque and the other is transclusent or semi-transparent. Both the layers are recoreded in two different recorders individually. Then they are stampted together with a layer of transparent glue between. This process is wayyyyyyyyy too costly and is currently not affordable. So there are no blank or pirated DVD9 available in the market. Hope this helps

5. eUf3i

eUf3i Member

theres dvd9 cds on the market but i dun think messiah 2 chips can play it can they?

6. knoxl

knoxl Guest

what are you talking about drives or media?
    I use dvd9 media all the time.

7. eUf3i

eUf3i Member

i'm talking abt dvd9 games that are pirated.. and if they could be played on mod ps2(messiah 2)

8. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

The newer Messiahs are Multi-disc Game and DVD9 compatible.

9. finty101

finty101 Regular member

is the magic 3.1 compatable with multi-disc games?

10. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

I never heard of DVD9 Media. Check out the FAQ on

www.dvddemystified.com

11. TL0

TL0 Member

Hi,
    To answer your question, Yes, Messiah2 works fine for DVD9 games.
    Seems some ppl are a bit confused over the whole DVD9 issue, DVD9 is used for most commercial DVD movies & now a few PS2 games use it too:

MGS : Substance
    Xenosaga : Ep1
    Sakura Taisen : Ps2 remake

to name 3 of the games which use the DVD9 format. Seem's i may have had my message edited by a mod for talking about piracy (probably), most sorry about that :(. I know the above are DVD9 because i checked them in windows with Nero CDspeed (size between 6-8 gigabytes) & i own all 3 :)

Last edited: May 1, 2003
  12. eUf3i

eUf3i Member

hey thanks for that reply

13. c7015

c7015 Regular member

There is no way that people have a dvd9 burner or "use the media all of the time" since dvd9 media is exclusivly commercial and there is no way to use dvd9 media with a standard dvd burner

14. Colemanvt

Colemanvt Member

People who claim to have bought and burned dvd9s don't know what they are doing all they did is bought a high priced dvd-r that you can write on both of its sides which doesn't make any sense to me. If you burn on both sides where are you supposed to put a label or write the name of what it is on it so you'll know what is on the dvd?

Bah and whoever said that dvd9s are expensive is crazy that's the whole reason game makers started using cds dvds and dvd9s for games because they are insanely cheap to manufacture it just costs the public and arm and a leg to buy. it costs a manufacturer like 5 bucks to manufacture a cartage game like snes or n64 but it costs them pennies to make games for ps2.

15. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

OK. I am making this very clear.

There are four types of DVDs

1. DVD5 - Single Sided Single Layered
    2. DVD9 - Single Sided Double Layered
    3. DVD 10 - Double Sided Single Layered(Need flipping)
    4. DVD 18 - Double Sided Double Layered(Need flipping)

There are no such thing as a DVD9 disc. OK? There are two seperate thin discs. They are burned at two seperate burners and then stuck together with a

thin layer of transparent glue between them. And do not think that gaming industries go for DVD9 discs just because they are cheap. It is very costly. Some

games are just too large to fit in the notmal DVD5 so they use DVD9 discs. OK I agree that the cost of making these discs is cheap but the initial cost of the

burner is very very high. In fact it is so high that some of the industries do not go for it and use DVD10 as they do not require any special hardware.

Knoxl,
    I do not know where from where do you buy DVD9 discs and how you burner is able to burn them??? If they require flipping or if they can be burned on

both sides then it is a DVD 10.

Before posting any more theories, questions please read the FAQ at DVD demystified. READ THE FAQ COMPLETELY. Then come here and post you

questions.

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

ZAMSAK

16. TL0

TL0 Member

The DVD9 format maybe costly compared to DVD5 to games companies but it does have the desirable side effect of not being able to be easily 'backed-up' by the average consumer.

17. domi

domi Member

well said that man.....

not too well i hope....

18. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Yo dude. They are difficult but not impossible.

19. Chelica

Chelica Member

So how are people able to make working backups of DVD9 Games? It comes in 2 DVDs? For example, Suikoden3, how do you make working DVD backups with that?

20. TL0

TL0 Member

AFAIK Suikoden 3 Is Not a DVD9 game, the only working backup of a DVD9 game is Xenosaga : Ep1. So Suikoden 3 is just as easy as any normal DVD5 PS2 game which is what it is (A DVD5 disc). There are very few DVD9 games sofar anyway, there is a thread which lists them all if you do a search.