1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDcloner vs. DvdXcopy

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by piano009, Dec 10, 2002.

1. piano009

piano009 Member

Can someone give me a hornest comparison between DVDcloner and DvdXcopy? Thanks in advance.

2. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

I just visited the dvdcloner official website and was thoroughly turned-off by it.

There are NO faq's. No user testamonials. No indication of how the program works. No screen shots. No indication of what OS's it runs on or what the minimum system requirements are. In fact, there is damned little information on the website about *anything* except a lot of promises. DVDCloner needs to take a look at the much more generous level of information extended by 321 Studios before it can become a contender.

So far as I can see, the only workable link on the entire webpage is a download link for a trial version of 1.90, but without any provision for user feedback, or just for sheer lack of information, I wouldn't waste my time.

.02c-worth.

-- mgb --

3. A_Klingon

Ok, an update.

My comments above are based on a google-web search, yielding the link:

http://www.westworldmusic.com/dvdcloner-page.htm

This page, as stated, is stark naked.

(However),

I have now found:

http://www.dvd-cloner.com

... which *does* have release notes, a support & contact link, and an FAQ.

The download is a .98 meg zipfile. I dunno.....

Kind of makes me wonder. Dvdxcopy = 25 megs; Dvdcloner = 1 meg. You'll have to be the judge for now.

(Maybe I'll install it). Can't use dvdxcopy with my Win98 system.

-- Mike --

4. A_Klingon

I must be more bored this morning than I thought. <gg>

The faq said my Win98 SE was "ok" (actually, the system requirements are minimal; just about anybody should be able to run this thing), so I installed dvdcloner. It didn't ask that I reboot, so I rebooted anyway.

Put dvd in dvd-rom. Started program. It didn't recognize either of my drives. Error message:

"No DVD/RW drive found. Please copy to IMG files then burn the IMG files with other DVD burning software. Refer to www.dvd-cloner.com/faq.html#burndvd for details"

(Oh boy). So I crawled back online and did.

Faq suggested I download and try 'AspiCheck' to see what aspi-layer version I was using. It said that dvdcloner could only use ver 4.60. Downloaded aspicheck. Ran it. It reported my layer as "Aspi V4.60". Geeze. "Am I wasting my time here?", I thought. (yes)

"Aspi is properly installed and is fully operational. A total of 2 host adaptors have been detected."

Re-ran program. Still won't recognize my reader or burner.

My conclusion: Goodnight, dvdcloner.

Just for info:

Program has no support for +R/RW media.
    Trial version only processes disc 1 of any 2 disc set.

Couldn't test any further as program wouldn't *go* any further.

See Ya.

-- Mike -

5. denny1

denny1 Guest

I use dvd cloner with much success I tried dvdx did not work for shit. Got a refund though which was good. I say thimbs up for dvd cloner

6. mandor

mandor Guest

denny1, could you give me more info on dvd cloner, i am really considering it but i want to know more info, does it play in your stand alone dvd players, does it clone exactly what the original dvd is like?

let me know, thanks

7. denny1

denny1 Guest

E-mail me at d.w.barger@att.net I will give you more info on the dvd-cloner

8. storm111

storm111 Member

I initially had numerous problems with both dvdxcopy and dvd-cloner. After looking at all the documentation that 321 studios puts on their site, I decided to make dvdxcopy my choice to "make work". It took me two days to work the bugs out of my system so dvdxcopy would work. Since then I tried dvd-cloner again and had absolutely no success. Dvdxcopy works great if you deal with the little bugs on your system that make it not work. DVDxcopy backups play in my 3 standalone dvd players and the copies are exactly like the original except for a 5 second warning at the beginning of the movie that states that it is a backup.

9. denny1

denny1 Guest

well lets put it this way dvd-cloner makes an actual copy of the dvd which with a good blank works great in the four stand alones I have and the 2 computers. dvdx makes an scvd of the dvd not an actual copy. with dvdx I had no success making a copy. I have the proof about 13 coasters now. with dvd-cloner I have successfuly made about 22 backups with no coasters and no headaches. And I have yet found a blank that will not work.

10. storm111

storm111 Member

DVDx doesn't make an svcd. It makes an identical backup of the original. And I have 20 backups with no problems. Same thing here, doesn't matter what media I use. I have read that alot of people have great luck with dvd- cloner. Alot of people also have good luck with dvdx. It's weird how one piece of software works better for each individual.

11. risky4me

risky4me Guest

Driver conflicts are the ghosts of Christmas past. I installed a Pinnacle PCTV video capture card and it disabled my Roxio Easy CD Creator's ability to burn CD's. After I installed my DVD burner everything was fine, but I held my breath when I installed Xcopy, wondering if something similar was going to occur. Lukily it didn't. Everything installed with no problems on my XP system and I have backed up about 20 movies with no problems. Of course, now I'm hesitant to install anything else that might be a competing driver for fear of screwing everything up! Aren't computers wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2003
  12. michaeld

michaeld Member

I'm new to afterdawn.com but it seems like people know what they are talking about in here. When I tried DVDXcopy it split my movie into 2 discs first of all, then when after making a temporary image on my harddrive it completely froze. I have had no success with it at all, so I am going to try dvd-cloner. All you people who have said that you have copied 20+ dvd's without any problems, were they movie dvd's that you would rent from Blockbuster or something that you copied? And if they were did you have to split it into 2 discs? Also if anyone knows where I can buy the single sided-dual layered (dvd-9 media I think) 8.5 gb blank DVD's please tell me. Thanks everyone for their advice and input.

13. storm111

storm111 Member

DVDXcopy does have a few quarks as I like to call them. First of all the version of DVDXCOPY you use makes a difference. On my system, ASPI 4.60 had to be installed and on versions previous to 1.4, I had to use nero as my burn engine and it had to be nero 5.5.5.10. My machine locked up on version 1.31 if I tried to use the gear burn engine. On version 1.41 I lock up on the nero engine. The gear engine works fine in 1.41. It takes a little tweaking, but when done DXDX is a great piece of software. the dvd split into two discs is standard on DVDX. If you want to keep all the special features and menus, it uses two disks. I usually opt for the "this dvd will fit on one blank if special features are omitted". If that message doesn;t come up you can usually fit just the movie on one dvd by omitting all the title sets in the first disk box except for the titile set largest in sixe. that will be the movie. then at the top it asks you which chapter the movie should be split at, set that to the highest number possible. hit the preview split button to make sure you got it all. hope some of thi helps.