1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDDecrypter Slow!!! What DVD-Rom do you use?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by corngrits, Apr 28, 2003.

1. corngrits

corngrits Member

I was first using the Sony Dru-500AX to run movies through DVD-Decrypter but it had a max rate of 2X. I then went out and got a DVD-Rom that was suppose to be faster but it usually has an average rate of 2.5X-3X when the job is completed.
    What DVD-Rom do you use and what rate do you usually average when DVDDecrypter is finished?
    I have a 16X DVD-Rom from Mad Dog Multimedia.
    Thanks_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Windows XP Pro
    Sony Dru-500AX w/Veritas RecordNow DX 4.6
    DVDDecryptor, DVD2One, DVDXCopy
    Denver, CO USA
    Perfer Ritek and Verbatim or FujiFilm when local computer store has them on sale.[/small]

2. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

the mpaa forced the manufacturers of dvd-roms to put a limit in the firmware to 2X speed when css copy protection is present in the disc, unless you have and older drive or are very lucky(though I doubt that you will be) you will have to deal with the slow rip speed. It really isn't the end of the world, you just have to wait a few more minutes, go do something while dvddecrypter is doing its job.

3. Demon

Demon Guest

Of course the Lite-on LTD166S gives me upto 9X ripping using DVD Decrypter... (it starts around 4.5X and builds upto 9X)... pretty cool if you ask me...
    It seems to get around 9.5Mbytes/s... (thats on an Athlon 2.4/NForce2 setup)....

I can confirm the Sony is pants at ripping...

4. genocide

genocide Member

dude y rush the process, take your time do something else why are you in such a hurry.

5. smg

smg Regular member

I have the Pioneer DVR-A05 which burns and reads dvds (as I understand it). But I have heard that the A05 is not good at reading and that I should get a regular DVD-ROM for reading (rather than letting my burner read also as I will be using the reader to use for copying my dvd collection. Is this true? And if it is, what dvd-rom should I get. I have an Athlon 1.6GHZ cpu running with win XP Home. And of course the Pioneer A05 burner/reader dvr.
    Thanks for your help.

6. prelude99

prelude99 Member

when i used to have my a04, it would only rip at 2.1x like my new a05 does. but when i put a single layer dvd in, it ripped at 9x.

7. jowook

jowook Member

If you guys are non-XP users, check your IDE DMA setting. It should be turned on.

8. smg

smg Regular member

Jowook? You mean if I am using Win XP Home I should have DMA turned Off?

9. jowook

jowook Member

No, If you are using XP, XP takes care of DMA setting. If you are not, you must make sure if DMA is turned on. One more thing... I've read the article about DMA settings for XP. The article says "If your IDE device failed to use DMA mode, XP turned off DMA. If you want to turn on DMA again, you must physically reinstall your drive or WinXP". I suggest you install your drive to different IDE channel. Good Luck!

10. commwiz

commwiz Guest

Even in XP you have to check the DMA settings. But you check or change it in the IDE Controller settings of Device manager, not for the drive itself like the older '98 and ME.