1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDFab vs Shrink Compression

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Grampaw, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Kind of a technical question about the quality of the Shrink compression algorithms vs the DVDFab Decrypter algorithms.

Has anybody qualitatively compared DVDFab to Shrink for a resulting backup DVD of an original that requires, say 80% compression, to fit on a DVD-5 blank? When using Shrink I use the Deep Analysis and Adaptive Error Compensation (AEC), maximum sharpness, as the compression options. DVDFab doesn't seem to have any options, however, and it does compresses a whole lot faster than Shrink. Also, I play all DVDs upscaled to 1080p, both original and backups, on either the Sony PS3 or the Toshiba A20 (both Hi-Def players), so backup quality makes a difference.

I'm just wondering if I should continue to use DVDFab to write to a file and then use Shrink to compress before burning. Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Grampaw, for heavy compression dvd rebuilder is best as shrink is only a transcoder.I bet dvd fab is a transcoder also w/o aec and deep analysis.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

DVFab HD decrypter is not a transcoder/encoder software. Is a decrypter/ripper.
    The only way you can skip compression, is if you use a DL disc, or if you backup "movie only". In many instances, even just the main title is too big to fit onto a DVD 5 without compression.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Friends, a minor point. DvdFabDecrypter (either Gold or Platinum) is a ripper/transcoder/burner, while DvdFabHDDecrypter is free and a ripper only.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Thanks,
    I have never used the pretious ones:)(gold/platinum). I think when is not specified, just DVDFab Decrypter(the old name for the current free version), is more likely to be taken for the freebie version. So please disregard my coments.

6. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Iluvendo strikes again! :p The only trouble to the free version is there are multiple steps and programs needed to complete the process. And while i have grown accustomed to multiple step burning, some peope are more pleased with the one-step payware.

Utilizing DvdFab Hd Decrypter means using Shrink, and/or ImgBurn or Nero7 to complete the process. Whereas using the pay version of DvdFab is an all-in-one process.

And iluvendo is right, Dvd Rebuilder is nearly unmatched for heavier compression.

7. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Guess I forgot to mention in the original message I use DVDFab Platinum, which does do transcoding.

If I get a chance, I'll find a DVD that requires about 80% compression, then backup using both DVDFab and Shrink (with Imgburn). Then I'll do an experiment similar to the old wine blind tasting test to rank the 3 discs. One would think the order would be: original, Shrink backup, then DVDFab backup, but who knows?

I know DVD Rebuilder is the optimum way to go, however, that approach is a more complex and takes longer. So I just backup the whole original to a DVD dual layer disc.

The tradeoff is whether the 80% compression on a DVD single layer (at a relatively cheap 0.50 USD) is good enough, or should I skip compression altogether and just use a DVD Dual Layer (at a more expensive 2.50 USD). I usually base the decision on the original's encoding bit rate (Gbytes/running time) - lower number suggests using a dual layer approach.

8. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

From a gentleman like you, never a problem.

9. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

This is just the way I do it but if I use DVD Shrink to compress to only 80% I find there is no noticeable difference if I use AEC and Deep Analysis than if I don't use it. Only difference is a lot of time wasted in my opinion. I watch these backups on a toshiba HDDVD player upconverted to 1080p with an HDTV television.
    I find that DVDFab Decrypter is a little faster and of about the same quality. I usually use DVDfab Decrypter because its an all in one tool.

10. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

So I did the experiment I described above comparing the original DVD to compressed copies using both the Shrink with Deep Analysis with AEC Max Sharpness option and the DVDFab Platinum option.

Without going into a lot of details, the basics are: compression ratio of 73% (sort of extreme), imgburn was used with the Shrink disc, the DVDFab burn engine (VSO I believe) was used with the DVDFab disc, the complete Shrink/Imgburn option took 48 minutes, the complete DVDFab process took 29 minutes. Same computer, same DVD+R blank (8X TYs), and same burn speed (4X) were used. All the discs were viewed with a PS3 upscaling to 1080p on a 47" LCD TV.

My subjective conclusions were: the original consistently looked the best in 5 trials - but not by a whole lot though; Shrink seemed marginally better than DVDFab (3 out of 5 times it looked better than DVDFab).

So the tradeoff between Shrink and DVDFab is time (48 mins for Shrink vs 29 mins for DVDFab), ease of use (several steps for Shrink vs one step for DVDFab), and quality (practically a tie).

I'll probably just use DVDFab from now on, since I'm lazy...

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Here is a nice quality comparison thread between various transcoders and encoders. Of course DVDFab isn't included from what I recall so it might be something you could contribute to Grampaw, if you feel so inclined. I personally give my vote to DVD2One for speed and quality and the batch feature is very nice too.

EDIT: I forgot to insert the link ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/343299

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  12. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Grampaw,
    So you turned into a max sharp guy.... I remember when you didn't use any aec settings. 27. December 2004 @ 13:45 quote source

My opinion is that anything running quicker is compromising quality for the most part. So I pretty much stick with shrink. I formed that opinion back when Intervideo DVD copy3 was being promoted around here as faster and better than Shrink. My results always came out better with shrink then and still do now against other transcoders.

13. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Touche Zippyd - I forgot all about that posting in that thread 3 years ago. I now remember researching how AEC works and trying to explain the approaches bacxk then.

However, back in 2004, I was using a relatively cheap 36" Analog TV to view DVDs - so there probably wasn't much discernible difference between just Deep Analysis and AEC. Also, and probably more a factor, my lame computer at that time occasionally crashed when running either max sharpness or smoothness.

Times change - now I have a big screen 1080p LCD TV (I can see diffrences) and dual core computers (they don't choke). And I became a Max Sharpness guy for the very reason you elucidated - it takes the most time, so it must give the best quality.

14. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

Hello all. Before asking for more help, I read a number of this forum threads and various links and came away feeling like a T-ball hitter looking at a major league pitch coming across the plate. As a RI4M user I hit the wall with Shoot 'em Up and Rush 3. No prob with 3:10 to Yuma. Having been a happy DVDDC/Shrink/Nero user in previous years, RI4M(using ImgBurn)proved to make me even happier, albeit, spoiled to a simplicity. It was also cost effective...free. As my daddy used to say, there is price to pay for everything. Although HiDef is not a current concern(I now have a 1080p LCD HDTV),eventually I want to prepare for further changes from Sony and possibily [the] others, and also be prepared complete the transition to HD. Is DvdFabHDDecrypter 4.0.5.5 the same one mentioned in iluvendo's 2Jan2008. Although I like to "peak and tweak" and fiddle with things, what will can I use that won't cost me any more time, pre-RI4M? Will I get the best bang for my buck if I have to go for the Platinum version over DVDFHDD? Will DVDRebuilder have to be used with either or both versions. Will I be using DVDFHDD in place of DVDDC, and while continuing to use Shrink and IMGBurn? Is the info on shutting off Auto Start still current and valid? Whatever input/direction you can give me will also be forwarded to a RI4M user who does not have current on line access. My apologies for the length and many thanks for any help you can give.

15. ffryan76

ffryan76 Member

IMO about DVDFab Platinum, which I own, Is great when you want to take a DVD and put it on a Mobile player using H.264, AVI and only want to go through one-click to do it. I like the program and it does really well. Granted I am Lazy, But there are plenty of ways to get the job done without paying for them and the quality is the same or better. It does a good job at the DVD stuff also.