1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDflick not encoding right?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by lexapi, May 20, 2008.

1. lexapi

lexapi Member

Version 1.2.2.1 build 442

DVDflick goes through the entire process of building a DVD perfectly fine (tested on both my laptop and computer, Windows XP). However, except for the VERY first DVD I ever created, it will only create a partial movie!

I am putting Korean drama episodes to DVD, and two can fit per DVD. However, what happens now is that I will get maybe all of episode one and only 30 minutes of episode two. Or, I will get 5 seconds of episode one and thirty minutes of episode two. Or half of one and half of two. Etc. I've done this four or five times now on my computer and twice on my laptop. I've gone through with antivirus/spyware/adware checks to clean out my computer. I've rebooted. I turned off screensaver and background items. Nothing is working to fix this...

I've also tried only burning one episode. My result was a five second movie. Yes, really, a five second movie. All I can say is, WTF? Obviously this has nothing to do with space issues... this particular episode was only 54 minutes, too, though it was a hefty 1.5GB... though I'm pretty sure a 4.7GB DVD-R can handle that. =[

What am I doing wrong?!

*bashes head against computer*

2. attar

attar Senior member

So your saying that in both PC's the output folder files play back ok, but both machines produce bad dvd's.

3. lexapi

lexapi Member

Actually, no.

Opening the files directly from hard drive shows the exact same result as the burned DVD - basically, partial movies. The ISO file is the same too.

BTW, the AVI files themselves work great and have no errors as far as I can see (Even WMP is happy to play them), and I've used several different video files to try this out.

4. lexapi

lexapi Member

I suck and can't find an edit button?! Argh!

What I meant by it going through the whole building a DVD process fine is that I get no errors throughout the entire process. It'll take 5 hours, but it'll go through it all fine. Then the end result is as I mentioned above-- truncated video, in either the VIDEO_TS folders, the iso file, or the DVD itself. I've also tried just making an ISO instead of burning to disc with no better results.

5. attar

attar Senior member

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

this problem is very wierd not seen this one...

shame you dont have convertxtodvd.

do you have the xvid codec installed?

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

How are you checking for errors?

8. lexapi

lexapi Member

I do have the xvid codec installed, and I have now tried the beta version of DVDflick with the same results.

In regards to checking for errors - I played them all the way through on WMP without it crashing on me... since I wasn't sure how else to do it. Plus I've used like six different video files while testing out DVDflick, and there aren't any similarities in where it decides to cut off the rest of the video. Maybe it'll do it at 30 minutes one time or maybe 5 minutes the next time, etc etc. =/

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

give the trial version of convertxtodvd a shot, see if its pc related

11. AXAD86

AXAD86 Member

Go out and buy a program like "NTI DVD MAKER 7" It does all the things that DVD Flick Does! but better and faster! Its the fastest encoder i have come across! but for some reason mine isn't working at the moment! so i could only help by on how to use it by memory!

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hehe kool...

fastest isnt always better, due to quailty output of video.

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

LOL

14. AXAD86

AXAD86 Member

I'm sorry! It was actually called Cyberlink Power Producer! I have searched the net for a freeware version for my other computer but i was unable to! Also the Encoding is the same as the original video! I think that is because it writes to a DVD Disc as data but has the menu just as a plus! and thats why it is so fast at burning any video file! and i mean any! Whilst searching i came across "ABC DVD Copy Lite" its a freeware that i have not tried yet! looking at it makes it seem a easy to use DVD Copier.

15. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I think you should spend some time reading, the posts and guides. You might also peruse the Glossary.

16. AXAD86

AXAD86 Member

My Bad!

17. anacondon

anacondon Member

Sadly, I can't help the individual who initiated this thread but am further adding my own eerily-similar grief. Trying to peg down chronologically WHEN this sudden inability to encode properly occurred but can't for the life of me deduce same as there was no change to program (update, etc) that I can recall. A few months back was able make one BIG iso file of all 3 seasons of Deadwood. This was 36 episodes in total, 6 episodes of approx. 700MB each (avi format) on each disc. Would then subsequently use DvdShrink quite nicely to compress the resultant iso file to the 4.7GB parameter without a hitch. Now suddenly absolutely cannot repeat this process (currently trying to get 'sopranos' within the same parameters, i.e., 6 shows/disc, shrink dvdflick-output iso file w/DVDshrink, etc). Yes, have uninstalled/reinstalled & even 'upgraded' to the new 1.3.0.0 dvdflick - same results (wish i could remember the error/dialog I keep getting - something like 'ignoring file breaks will damage resulting file'). Basically, the first episode is fine (approx 1 hr each)....then all remaining 5 episodes are truncated, usually to 37-38 minutes.

18. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well you should start you own thread. A few thoughts though.
    Many times general changes to your computer, not just the app, can 'break' things. It could be a Windows update, the installation of other programs and their codecs, the use of registry cleaners... it goes on and on. The first thing to try would be to try to encode the truncated files by themselves and see if it happens again. You could also run them through GSpot, comparing them to those that worked, and look for clues. You could run them through AviDemux and let it fix/adjust them.

19. anacondon

anacondon Member

Yes - i was hesitant to add this to an already-existing thread...sorry about not following proper protocol there. Excellent advice & perfectly-understandable rationale re: any global-or-otherwise changes to the HD. Now starts the fun process of deductive elimination!!! Thanks for the tip(s).

20. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

My Advise.....

Stay away from DVD Flick

MPenney