1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDflick not encoding right?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by lexapi, May 20, 2008.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any problems with DVD Flick.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Neither does anybody else.. Never given me any problems, or the few hundred people I have installed it for.

I suspect user error.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, Flick is a very good program; it's very simple to use. All that's needed is to check half a dozen or so settings when it's first installed, then simply add 1 or more movie files (.srt subtitles are detected automatically), and you're away. I have to agree, it sounds like user error to me..

4. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Could possibly be a user error. I can to AD to get advise and never got it working properely so I invested in Xiiosoft avi to dvd and didnt have to worry about any settings during instalation.

Best to you all who have got it working for you it was just to much hassel for me. And again that was just my opinion of the program.

So lets just blame the advise I was giving as it obisouly didnt get it running properly for me. Bad quality, audio out of sink, when the movie would go to a black screen it was awful

5. creaky

Don't get me wrong (if you did, that is), i'm not putting you down. At least now we have something to work with...

1/ Bad quality - is the source AVI of bad or low quality ?, if so that's not the fault of Flick or a.n.other program. "Crap In, Crap out" :)
    2/ Audio out of sync - Again, is the source file ok re audio sync ?. I personally only have sync programs if the source file has crap sync. Various programs have workarounds for sync. I personally won't waste the time on an AVI that has crap sync, i find one that is ok to start with. But that's just me.
    3/ Black screen - see point 1.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  6. varnull

varnull Guest

Either that or trying to cram too much on a single disk. Those sound like symptoms of trying to compress video beyond it's minimum size.

That xillisoft stuff could be conflicting as well. Maybe somebody (apart from xillisoft spammers) knows if that is likely.

7. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

I dont have any problems with the software I purshased. Not to say I was giving bad advise, it was to time consuming and the little one needs her attention

8. creaky

9. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Thanks

MPenney

10. Hydrangea

Hydrangea Member

I have this problem currently as well. It is absolutely annoying. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it does not. And it has nothing to do with the project being too full for the 4.3 gb disk. I wish I knew the problem.

11. creaky

Need more info to go on, for instance the details from the latest DVD Flick log. I may not be able to decipher all of it but someone might.

Still having no problems with Flick here (latest version is 1.3.0.4). Apart from yesterday where i used Flick to merge two parts of a movie and most of the second half of the movie had no audio. Investigation showed the 2 AVI's had indeed got audio, but there was a noticable click in the audio near the beginning of AVI 2. Tried a few things, some googling, then tried a program called VirtualDub. This allowed the extraction of the audio tracks in WAV format, and VirtualDub could then be used to join the 2 AVI's and merge in the WAV audio tracks (instead of the internal audio tracks from the AVI's). Anyways, horrible out of sync problems ensued, played thru the original copies of the AVI and the VirtualDub'd AVI's and while i knew that the audio was fine in the original part 1 of the AVI i noticed the audio wasn't out of sync in the VirtualDub'd part 2 (whereas the 2 new halves were only out of sync when merged by VirtualDub - couldn't be arsed to try and fix the sync), so just passed the 2 good halves into DVD Flick - problem solved.
    Ditched the temporary WAV files and the VirtualDub'd part 1 of the AVI plus the crap original part 2 AVI, and of course the craply merged VirtualDub file.
    Renamed the disparate halves of the AVI to the right names and voila.

Anyways - that was just an example of something that wasn't due to DVD Flick being at fault, it was being asked to encode something that had some corruption in the audio, and i was lucky enough to find something that could fix the problem (didn't think it would be possible to be honest).
    There are indepth ways around fixing out of sync audio errors but that's not something i waste time on, the most i'll mess with is out of sync subtitles, and that can be a pain in the arse.

Give us more to go on and we'll see what falls out of the bottom...

edited for daft mistake in typing

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  12. attar

attar Senior member

On the odd occasion where I get a DVD from DVD Flick that's out of sync , it's invariably caused by the source AVI having VBR (variable bit rate) audio.
    This can be corrected before conversion by using VirtualDub or AviDemux.

VirtualDub can join AVI files - but they have to be identical - the feature is/was intended to join AVI files that had been previously cut into segments by VirtualDub (thus ensuring that they were identical).

A better solution for joining AVI files is Avidemux (the files have to be the same resolution - but is more flexible and forgiving.

13. creaky

Cheers for the extra info attar, i had a feeling you'd have some info re sync and joining :), i have my limits with finicky files, i usually mess for a little while then opt for obtaining other AVI's ie i can be lazy sometimes :)

14. MysticE

MysticE Active member

A bit more to it than that, as 99% of the files folks download are VBR. If it's Scene release it's all.

15. attar

attar Senior member

@MysticE

With respect, I said that on the odd occasion (when there was a problem), the cause was the VBR audio - not that VBR audio invariably caused async problems.
    For my lack of clarity (a rare lapse, I hope)I humbly accept the rebuke (if from such an esteemed source, it could be so termed) in the spirit that it was intended.

-------RB

16. varnull

varnull Guest

mpenny seems to have become another dreaded xillisoft spammer.

The only time I have seen dvd authoring programs play these games is when they are trying to write to fat32 filesystems or they run out of space.

I don't like the new interface that flick is using.. it's too n00bish and one click for my liking.

dvd styler for those who like control.. I do a lot of camcorder video to dvd and avidemux is the dogs for curing the different resolutions and audio sync problems. I usually do all my editing and then use the "auto dvd" setting to output mpeg2 files .. it's easier to check the finished result that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009