1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDR burn speed???

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by check95, Jan 30, 2005.

1. check95

check95 Member

Just a quick question that is confusing the heck out of me...I bought two 50packs of Fuji film DVD-R (up to 8x write speed), at the same store at the same time. meaning they are identical packs..I went through the entire first 50 pack without a problem burning at 8x. Then a friend of mine gave me some memorex DVD+R(up to 8x write speed). so I tried one to compare the quality. The burn started at 12x speed and at the end of the burn there was a write error. I payed that no mind and figured 12x was just to fast to burn a movie. so I went back to my second pack of fujifilm (Identical to the first) and for some reason it will only burn at 6x speed. so far every disc in the second pack is burning at 6x. does this make any sense to anyone? did one of my settings get changed by accident? if so how can I change it back? I use DVD shrink 3.1 to rip, decode, burn, everything. Just that one program does it all......

2. J_man

J_man Regular member

You Said "I use DVD shrink 3.1 to rip, decode, burn, everything. Just that one program does it all...... "

Impossible shrink does not have a burn engine you have to be burning with NERO or DVD Decryptor. Shrink will access one of these write after it completes it's analysys.
    If using Dvd Decryptor open Decryptor and click Mode,iso write then check your write speed on the botton right.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  3. check95

check95 Member

I do have decrypter but I also have nero and Im not sure wich one does the burning. I checked decrypter and it is set at max. Plus when I burn a copy of a copy I go straight to nero, dont even use shrink and the burn speed on nero is also 6x. maybe the setting on nero got changed? how can I check this setting?
    p.s. I checked the setting with the new 50 pack and it is set at max, and the 2 options are 4x and 2x. I put in a disc from the first 50 pack and it is set at max but the options are 8x, 6x, and 4x..why is this, it just doesnt make sense???

4. J_man

J_man Regular member

Open shrink and click edit,preferences,FileI/O
    If the enable burning with nero box is ticked then you are burning with nero,if it's not ticked then you are burning with decryptor.
    If you are using decryptor then set the write speed to 4x for the media you are using instead of max.

5. neodave

neodave Regular member

Or couldn't the media just be made by different manufacturers and thus not the same burn capacity with that burner? Are they coded the same?

6. check95

check95 Member

I dont realy know what "coded" means. How can I tell who the manufacturer is? I got them from the same shelf, they were sitting right next to each other, why would they be different? And yes enable burning with nero is checked. thats why I checked my settings on nero. Depending on wich media is in the drive is what gives me the choice of selecting 8x burn. The new 50 pack does not give me that selection. Im sure its just a difference in media and not any settings at this point, Im just trying to figure out how and why they are different so that next time I can look for the one that can burn at 8x.

7. check95

check95 Member

I found it....the first 50 pack says made in Japan. the second says made in Taiwan....beware of Taiwan,lol I guess my burner just likes Japan better....

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey check95, that's what you gotta watch out for. I buy a lot of maxell -4x yellow tops. They usually code out as mxlrg-02 where i get them at office depot and staples.Usually they are made in japan. So are the ty's the maxell makes. I have gotten both 15 and 25 pack spindles on separate occasions and they were this code. So when they had the 25 pack spindles on sale for $9.99,I grabbed the last 6 spindles up. I didn't realize in 1 week they switched from made in japan and these had a yellow sticker saying "made in taiwan",until I got home. I got lucky and they were made by ritek go4's.

I even ordered verbatim +4x data-life in 3 identical 30 pack spindles. 2 of them coded as ricohjpn-01 and the other one was mcc-002..Both those codes burned and played fine but I like to find something made in japan.However,some pretty good media is made in taiwan like:ricohjpn-01,ritek go4,and mcc-002.

Here's a free trial program to find the manufacturers code on your blank media: http://dvdinfopro.com

Here's another totally free program: http://afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Both these tools are very handy on checking local on sale media.

The specs on the media,like 8x doesn't necessarily mean you can get 8x out of it. Your firmware for your burner tells it how fast it can burn certain media.It can also tell you it won't burn a certain media if it isn't in it's firmware. Take sony +8x,my benq can burn these at 16x if i leave my settings at max.Verbatim +8x will let me burn them at 12x.The opposite can happen also,my maxell +4x ricohjpn-01's will only burn 2.4x in my spare pc.There's no new firmware for it,khypermedia 8x.

I'm still waiting for fuji and tdk sales.I'm always trying out different media.

9. check95

check95 Member

Thanks for the help guys!!