1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdr compatibilty

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wavegravy, Feb 20, 2004.

1. wavegravy

wavegravy Member

what's the point of fast burners & 8x dvd media, if you have to slow down burn speed to make the resulting disc compatible with stand alone dvd players.if the media is certified to be 4x speed, why doesn't it work in all players?

to err is human, to burn is devine!!!!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  3. wavegravy

wavegravy Member

I agree that diferent storage media can have different results.Even with quality media, it wasn't until I slowed down the burn speed that I got the disc's to play in all my players. I also think there should be some uniformity when the blank media are rated.At least give the consumer a break,It's bad enough we have muddle through all these format wars!
    4track,8track,cassette.beta,vhs.dvd-audio,SACD. DVD-ROM,DVD-RAM. DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW WHAT'S NEXT???

4. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

My philosophy is to burn at 2X with my LG GSA4040B using Hypermedia (not K-Hypermedia). I found that it works on all the players I've tried it on. I know... I'm just a big chicken.. I figure.. hey.. if it works .. why mess with it.... :)

I'd rather spen an extra 12 minutes burning something that will work everywhere than to save a little time and cross my fingers everytime I play one.

The media is also cheaper.. hehe !

Regards,
    CK

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

To be honest, you arent utilising what you have got then. I burn about 5 discs a day sometimes, i really would prefer to get it done as fast as possible. You should buy discs that operate and work at the speeds you require and your writer can take.

Whats next....Well theres Blu DVD out already at 23GB a disc i believe, next will be Sony Blue Laser with 50GB and then 100GB by 2007.

6. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

Hi Oriphus,

You're right. That's why I call myself a chicken when it comes to playing it safe.

I also burn furiously and I usually watch my burns (on standalone) as I burn my movies. I can get about 5 done for every movie I watch.. hehe

Using this technique.. I only have to get up every 25 minutes while I pause the movie.

Regards,
    CK

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, I guess thats not too bad if you're happy with it. Still for me, 6 mins seems like a long time ;-)