1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

********DVDR+ OR DVDR-********************

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Lisa_Z, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Lisa_Z

Lisa_Z Member

Hi what is the difference between dvdr + and - because I am going to get ready and buy a dvd burner but the problem is that I am using the burner to burn ps2 games and what does ps2 v7 support dvdr+ or dvdr- anyone who burned a game successfully with dvdr+ or - and used it on a v7 ps2 before?? Thanks in advance. but help!!!!!!!!!!1

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

3. Shindou

Shindou Member

You should be fine with either media the v7 can read all the different blank media. However in most cases but not all as I have learn the dvd-r is generally cheaper than the dvd+r. There is no real difference between them dvd+r was invented so some big name companies could take a market share of the profits. Overall though dvd-r is more compatible all around.

Beat me to it Oriphus

Last edited: Jul 13, 2003
  4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

By a good 7mins lol - and thats with internet problems cuz it kept disconnecting.

5. Lisa_Z

Lisa_Z Member

so I only need a dvdr +/- only if I need to burn movies for compatable differences on a dvd player? but I only need dvd-r/rw for ps2 right?

6. jase

jase Guest

I'd get the +/- anyway to be honest. It's unclear at this stage which, if any, format is going to "win" the format war.

This coming from someone who is -R/RAM all the way!! There is little difference between the two in terms of compatibility and the price appears to be levelling out.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I tend to disagree. I would get the less expensive -R or if you are in the UK, get an amazing price on the +/- DVR106 by Pioneer from http://www.bigpockets.co.uk

As for the way in which the formats are going to go. I wouldnt worry about that. It will stay dual format for a long time yet and then both will be obsolete when the newer HD DVD comes out. Blu Ray being one of the options.

Here is some info on the possible furture of the DVD:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/blue.htm

8. markusk

markusk Regular member

What's really odd about the two different formats is that generally it seems that users are having more problems when dealing with minus discs compared to plus discs. While minus discs are cheaper and because of that they are used more often it's still odd that there's not that many problem reports when dealing with plus discs.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2003
  9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Actually, i disagree with that too. Lol - i disagree with most things dont i ;-)
    Im finding that people are having difficulty with -R on +R writers like the sony's and NEC's. I generally see most +R writers have problems, apart from the hardware faults that alot of people can get.

Chris

10. markusk

markusk Regular member

Still a bit strange that's it's the minus discs that seem to be having most problems.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I think its really because this forum has supported -R more in the past than +R. Most of the members/senior/addicts would be using -R writers. who knows......

12. Diluvian

Diluvian Guest

To: Lisa_Z,

The diferent about DVD-R and DVD+R is that the DVD+R is more compatible with DVD Players this days. They do the same thing, backups, so I recomended that u buy DVD-R coz they are more cheap.

If you have problems to know if your DVD Player is compatible with a DVD media visit: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php ,They have a lot stuff in here

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

sorry ;-), drunkin reply was here_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Im gonna find you, and im coming to get YOU!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2003
  14. Diluvian

Diluvian Guest

I forgot, Im looking for this media 3E or 3Execellent, something like that, the format is DVD-R. If someone know were to find it, let me know. My friend give me 6 movies in this dvd media and they are SUPER GOOD!! this media run perfect in PS2 and XBOX.

PD: my website: URL_REMOVED_BY_MODERATOR - my backups :) looking for LORD OF THE RINGS 2? I have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2003
  15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

sorry ;-), drunkin reply was here_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Im gonna find you, and im coming to get YOU!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2003
  16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Dilluvian
    Are you selling brand new (not copied) DVD's?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  17. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Oriphus, how about answering my question about the errors I'm getting while trying to put 2 dvd movies on on dvd+r, using dvd author.

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi Jay, sorry, what is the question again? What thread is it at? I do try to get around as many of them as possible, but i do miss a few sometimes, especially since i dont normally sign on to recieve thread updates. If i did my daily emails would be something like Dela's and i dont have patience for that! ;-)

Instead i just go through the forum each day.

19. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

dvd-r

Most new players will be dvd +/-r so don't worry about it, go for the cheapest..

20. gmb

gmb Member

+R/RW is a superior format to -R/RW. If you don't believe me, read this technical article which explains everything:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113/

As DVD writers get faster and faster, reaching 8x, 12x or even 16x speeds in the next year or two, -R/RW format will probably fade away, because I doubt it will be able to work at those speeds, as explained in the article.

It is no coincidence that the first 8x DVD Writer (from Plextor, http://www.plextor.be/english/products/px708a.html) can write at 8x only on +R media. -R format is lagging behind in burning speed. DVD-RW can still only be burned at 2x speed, even on Plextor's new burner.

Also MRW (Mount Rainier) format will probably be a standard in the next couple years, and it will only work on +RW media.