1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDR Playback on Sony Player

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ima49311, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

Ok, here is my problem and question...

I have been backing up my dvds for some time now. I used to do it on a P4 1.4ghz, 640MB RAM computer, Emprex 8x, and mostly play them in a crappy Apex dvd player i got for free thru a raffle. Never had any problems. Now, since i moved, i have a new computer and i burn them on a P4 2.5ghz, 1GB RAM computer, same burner, and play them on my new SONY 5 Disc Changer player (DVP-NC675P) i just bought and also my girlfriends single Sony player as well sometimes. The software i use is DVD Decrypter, DVD2One, & Nero.

Since i have changed over to my new Sony players, i am getting the worse playback with my backups. The color shifts, sometimes it skips ahead, sometimes it skips back, sometimes i get a dirty disc error.

My question is has anyone else had this kind of problem with Sony DVD players.. i thought it was the discs i was using (GQ + & - and TEON + & -), but i switched back to memorex discs that i used when i first started backing up and it still seems to do it (altho not as much). I also went back to burning at 4x instead of 8x since i read that higher speeds create more errors..

I have a hard time believing that an Apex dvd player is better than a Sony player.. could it be i have a faulty player perhaps?

Any help on this would be most appreciated. Thanks ahead of time...1

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey Ima, GQ,teon,and memorex aren't exactly the finest media. Most of us avoid these brands.

You said you lowered the burn speed to 4x. Some of that media may be so crappy you'll probably have to go even slower.

The cheapie dvd players usually have no problems playing our backups. The fancier/really high $$$ usually do.

My sony dvd-ns325 stand alone will play everything I burn on all 4 burners and look great.I try to avoid those brands that you use. I use a lot of maxell/sony/and verbatim.

Pick up a small pack of maxell's.All their different manufacturers are pretty decent to great on quality. Those brands you are using mainly use poor,crappy manufacturers.

Here's a free handy program to download and help find the manufacturer codes and you can run a burn error scan: http://dvdinfopro.com

3. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

So is panasonic a good brand to play backups? ive played a couple of my backups on an apex as well as a jvc and they play fine.. but my sony is the one that skips like crazy.. can you recommend some other semi-quality brands that are "Backup" friendly..thanks.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Stand alone players can be real screwy.Since you are using the same burner from your old pc,that sony 5 disc changer stanalone is have a harder time reading them. Some stand alones will give the "no disc/dirty disc" error. Compressing your backups too much can also cause these issues.

Semi Quality? I have no idea where you get your media and how much you pay for it. I find good to high quality media for under 40 cents a disc,when they are on sale.With all the major brand names outsourcing it's media to different manufacturers,it's hard to tell what you get.

The plus format seems to perform flawless for me on my benq burner. Now on my spare pc,that new 16x +/- dual-layer burner: the dash format is working ok,and + is having trouble playing on my stand alones.

If buying at a local store,I highly recommend maxell. They have about 4 different manufacturers and all 4 are pretty good to great quality.The - format on maxells seem a lot better than the +,but those + are still very good.The different quantity of package does not change on manufacturers on maxell's.
    This is why memorex aren't recommended. They have many more different manufacturers and like to use c-magnetics corp a lot. That is likely what your teon's are-cmags.Those different quantity of packages can also be made by different manufacturers,again memorex is a classic example.

The sony + or - (1x - 8x's) are pretty good,some are even made by ty. You can get them for 40 cents when on sale.I like to look for the "Made in Japan" on those wrappers. They are usually the best stuff.Made in taiwan discs can be pretty good. If made anywhere else like india/austria, avoid these like the plague.

I don't like to use any generic,memorex,and store brand media like staples. You can usually get the good stuff cheaper when on sale.

Try to play those backups on your pc. That drive that burned it should play them ok and with no issues. If these issues turn up on your pc,then media or software can be the culprit.

Try to pick up a 3 or 5 pack of maxell in + and - format and burn them under 4x and see if that sony will play them ok.That player will then tell you what it likes by giving you a great playback.