1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDR vs. Divx/Xvid

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Ranchodj, May 25, 2007.

1. Ranchodj

Ranchodj Member

I used to download a lot of Divx/Xvid but converting them to DVD was a long process for my old computer so I simply started downloading DVDR's and then just burning them. Obviously doing that involves a 4+Gb file. Anyways, I have recently upgraded my computer quite a bit. Do Divx/Xvids still have the same quality after converting them to DVD as a DVDR does right off the bat? Thanks for the help.

2. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

I don't care what anyone else says, the answer to your question is a big NO. the compression that the original file is subject to when converted to avi or whatever can't be reversed while keeping the original quality. i don't get why people continue converting avi files to dvd when a stand along avi player is sooo cheap.

PS: amazon/avi player/ about $45.

By the way, avi player play regular dvds also. you just can loose.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  3. whassup

whassup Regular member

Agree completely about quality. Your encoded target will never have the same quality as the source.

As for DivX/DVD players, the avi file has to be within certain parameters. If not, then you have to re-encode anyways.

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

I use WinAVI videoconverter which takes about 45 minutes to convert a Xvid/Divx into a regular DVD on my intel coreduo 6300. To me the quality is better than VHS but not as good as DVD, but it's good enough for me to play on my 27 inch LCD flatscreen. I don't think the Xvid/Divx video gets any worst during the conversion back to DVD that I can tell by looking at it. It's all about indivdual preference, to me a good Divx/Xvid video looks as good as regular cable TV and I'm usually satisfied with that.

5. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi,

Those DVD players, will they play pretty much everthing you can find on the net ?

.avi
    .mkv
    .mov
    .rmvb

all those video/audio streams ?

I use VSO ConvertXtoDVD and it makes me a nice DVD, since my DVD Recorder will play some .avi I have tested, but you cannot go forward or backwards, it plays, pause and that's it.

And no I never looked into getting a new DivX DVD Player.

I am pleased with the way I do things :)

And I am happy with the end results.

Also those DVD I make, other members of the family can watch those movies on all their DVD players, so it's an other reason I convert to DVD.

Happy movie watching everyone, regardless on how yo do it <Grin>...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  6. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

To convert a movie to dvd takes anywhere from one hour to an hour and half. i avoid that much converting by spending about $45 on a " play almost every format player" ah, yes, this is my way.