1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDrebuilder CCE, with DVDremake and Other Tools for Beginners

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by Sophocles, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Sophocles,

Just to make one thing clear ... Adding DVDremake to DVD Rebuilder w/ CCE Basic. This is to re-author ... to improve the quality by removing menu items. Right?

If people want or don't mind the extras and menus, DVD Remake isn't for them. Right?

Did that make sense?

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes it is flip, you can with advanced methods, remove or keep almost anything.
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  4. flip218

When using other dvd backup methods and viewing on 27"-32" TV's, it was hard to tell which had better quality. I thought they all looked great.

Now with DVD Rebuilder w/ CCE Basic I could tell the difference, especially with the longer movies. The quality is great even if I didn't "steal space" I think that's what it's called. Using DVD Remake, how much does the quality improve? And I guess if one was to get Remake, they should get Pro ... How much is Pro?

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

flip

I'd try the DVDrebuilder/CCE Basic (CCE SP Trial) first (read the guide here at afterdawn0. Once you've backed a couple of movies you can begin editing them. As for working with tools we use such as DVDremake they're changing daily. We do have some direct contact with jdobbs author of DVDrebuilder, and dimad the author of DVDremake, and you'll be able to voice your concerns about their software.

6. flip218

Sophocles,

I already have DVD Rebuilder and CCE Basic. It has become my preferred way to backup .. the 3-4 hours is worth it to me.

My thing is ... I am very impressed with the quality of the backup, even with full menus and extras. Does adding Remake improve the quality that much? Again I watch on a 27" and 32" TV. I also understand using re-author mode allows lesser compression levels, but does it make [bold]that much[/bold] of a difference when viewing?

P.S. Although I haven't posted in the other Remake/Rebuilder/CCE Basic thread, I have read the thread.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sorry flip I didn't mean to insult you. The answer to your question is yes and no. With DVDrebuilder/CCE you can't back interleaved movies. The movie DareDevil can not be backed by DVD-RB/CCE unless you strip the multi angles from its title_set. You can also use DVDremake to strip unwanted content while still being able to keep the menu and extras.

8. flip218

No need to apologize Sophocles ... I've learned that's not you. (at least when in good terms).

You mean it just won't back up, or will it have errors? I guess haven't done one with mulit angles, or just don't have any. Do you know other blockbuster movies that might have multi angles?

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

What Sophocles means is that support for multi-angle or interleaved video hasn't been added. It will be eventually, but for the time being you have to remove extra angles or interleaving with a third party tool before Rebuilder can even create the project files. One of the things I like to do with Remake is to trim, but not remove, long menus. When you have motion menus they tend to be made up of at least 2, if not 3 or more, separate menus. In some cases this can mean menus that are as big as 400MB-600MB. One easy way to do this in Remake is to simply right click on the menu section of a VTS and select Hide Transition Menus. That will often cut the overall menu size significantly, which is handy when using DVD-RB since it doesn't re-encode menus yet.

Edit: One good way to identify DVDs that are likely to have multiple angles is to open the movie in DVD Shrink and see if there are multiple menu sets in different languages (ie it shows you English menus, French menus, Spanish menus, etc,...). If there are, it's not uncommon to also have credits and titles in different languages, which generally means multiple angles.

Edit Again: I promise this will be the last thing. DVD Remake is also very nice for removing FBI warnings, studio logo screens, and other annoyances.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  10. flip218

WOW ... menus can be that big. In that case, it would be worth it to re-author/edit that.

Do think these features will be added?

11. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No fair replying while I'm still editing ;)

That's exactly how I feel about the menus. And yes, jdobbs has stated that he plans to add those features. He just wanted to take care of all the bugs he could first. He originally wasn't planning on adding menu compression, but he's gotten so many requests for it that I believe he does plan to add it, but it will probably be the last thing added, or at least one of the last.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Flip, I would like to add that remake isn't near as complicated as it sounds. It is very user friendly, I only used a guide the 1st time and after that a little trial and error did the trick. You can get complicated with it as I have recently found out, but a beginner can edit menus and extras with out too much problem. I love the fact that it not only removes an extra but the link as well. I am having problems getting it to work in rbldr/cce, only 2 so far, but it has worked well with IC8 and DVDCopy2. Heck, I'm having problems getting any re-authoring tool to work with rebuilder/cce(vobblanker, dvdstripper to name a couple)so it's no reflection on DRM. You asked the cost, it's 25.00 and the pro version is 40.00, but mackemX's site has pro for 35.00. afterthought, I would also download tray player, an excellent tool to use while reauthoring DVDbackups, it's free and there is a link in the other thread.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  13. flip218

Thanks everybody for the info. If dl media doesn't come down in price, I'll have to give Remake a try.

I believe Vurbal uses these also. What are they for? and is there any advantages to using them?

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dvdstripper is a ripping tool that also enables you to re-author taking out what you don't want. It's got an over 18 graphics that blow any other software I've seen out of the water. ( LOL, girl showing her ta-ta's) VoBBlanker lets you substitute a blank block for each extra you take out thus reducing size but leaving menu intact, you must first rip with another tool.

15. flip218

Doesn't Remake do all this?

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Remake is much better than either, I was just trying to find something to work in rebuilder and I've only had remake a couple of weeks if that. PS- of course, DRM doesn't rip.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

17. flip218

Maybe you guys could post the different "recipes" and explain the advantages. Because I first started with just Rebuilder and CCE Basic. Now might add DVD Remake into the mix ... now hearing about dvdstripper and vobblanker. Most errors are due to the process, so it would be good to know which processes are best :) Thanks guys

18. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

I guess DRM is the most user friendly of any of the stripping tools but due to it's advanced editing in the PRO version it can also be the most complicated as it offers what most other strippers as well as a little more

the biggest advangtage is that vobblanker,titleset blanker and DVDStripper are all free but are limited in one way or another to their features. Obviously being co-designer of DVDStripper I know most of it's issues but it relies on Ifoedit which also has issues so it can be unreliable in some circumstances as well as being the slowest to process. I cannot say much about the other 2 as I haven't used them much but I have seen good things posted about them

If you are new to this then I would try the freeware apps first before paying for anything to get a 'feel' of stripping a DVD and how it's made up. IIRC there is a demo of DRM that people could try. Once you get to understand the basic structure of a DVD then you may feel the need to get something that allows more than just the basic stripping. If you have stripped previously using Ifoedit then you will appreciate the time saving that these tools offer

a couple of hints for some if you use DRB is that if you are prepared to sacrifice a little menu quality on the larger menu's the rip the DVD with DVDShrink and reduce the menu. Set the menu's to whatever you accept and leave all the titles at No Compression and this will give you a few 100mb more to have for the rest of the DVD

to save processing time later on, strip out the audio/subs with DVDShrink also when ripping (dont use logical remapping) as this again will save processing time with DRM/DRB. Why process upto say 500mb of audio every process? ;)

@bigorange, lol at over 18's bit ;). It's the only processing bar I sat and stared at when I saw it the first time. You can thank TMG for that :)

19. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

@bigorange...

[bold]I only used a guide the 1st time and after that a little trial and error did the trick.[/bold]

Do you remember which one? ... Maybe a link? ... Thanks in advance.

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]Doc[/bold]here ya go, use strip down a dvd:.http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?tools=546&madeby=&formatconversionselect=&howtoselect=%3B&orderby=Topic&listall=1&archive=%25&search=Search+or+List+Guides, this is a great place with guides for just about anything. Good Luck!....[bold]MackemX[/bold], I suspect being co author, you might have had a little to do with it. LOL I assume when you're talking about using shrink, newbies need to know you only mean compressing and no re-authoring or they will have no working menu. Also, I tried the trial version of remake, unfortunately it is kinda impractical because it will not let you export your files so you can view your work and it's results. I guess it does give you a feel for it's operation but that's it. Suffice to say, I have used these other apps and I gotta say after using remake, it's doubtful I will ever go back, except of course when I need a pick me up, then I'll use DVDStripper. LOL
    _
    _
    _