1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdrw

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by culpeck, Mar 23, 2007.

1. culpeck

culpeck Regular member

ever since having a dvdrw fitted ive had problems playing proper dvds it will play copied dvds audio cds and installation disks i just cant play real dvds at all ive tried about 50 of mine and none will play when i click open on dvd it says please insert disk if i put in a copied dvd disk it will play this please help

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

What software are you using to play the DVDs?

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@culpeck
    that is a strange problem if it plays burns.
    this might sound stupid but it's not as simple as expecting auto-run ?
    I mean you go to My Computer click on the dvd drive right click and select Play and the movie should open and play?
    I feel silly for asking that but trying to help
    other than that obvious solution I have no idea why it plays the others - better off answering Indochine and they will help

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

That is a very good question.

5. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@Indochine
    I blushed whilst posting that question.
    but we can never judge what people do or don't know I'm sure culpeck is a much more advanced user but anyway I tried to help lol.
    I had another thought and it's probably as stupid as the first would the dvds culpeck is trying to play be region controlled?
    I just have the suspicion that dvd-rw drives are region unaffected?
    I am clutching at straws here.
    thanks for your comment Indochine I honestly thought you'd laugh me off the thread :)

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I don't think you needed to blush over that question. We cannot know how much, or how little, the person who posted the problem knows.

I think that too often, people hold back from making perfectly good suggestions because they are afraid of being sneered at by self-styled "experts".

I also have to say that this forum does have a much larger share of absolute newbs that most other forums I have been on. Time was, even as recently as a couple of years ago, that the people who had CD and DVD writers, were pretty clued up geek types. Now everybody can get one from walmart for $40 and you see a different type of user, the "put it in the slot and it should just work" type of user. That's progress.

Maybe they are a very new user, who thinks they can just put a DVD in the slot and it will play, just like on a standalone. Maybe a clue lies in where he or she wrote,

You see? It "plays" installation disks, audio CDs and copied DVDs. That sounds like some kind of autorun is set up for that drive.

It plays copied DVDs. Many DVD-Video titles use content-scrambling system (CSS) encryption, which is intended to discourage people from copying the disc. Usually, users need to install software provided on the DVD or downloaded from the Internet such as WinDVD, PowerDVD, MPlayer, or VLC to be able to view the disc in a computer system.

That would not apply to copied DVDs, where the CSS has been defeated.

DVD-RW drives may have region settings, my LG does, you are allowed 4 region changes, but it is easy to unlock the drive after all the changes have been used up, either with resetting software, or by flashing it with "unofficial" region-free firmware, which would invalidate the warranty I believe.

7. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@Indochine
    You had so many good points I won't go into them all. but well said.
    I did pick up "installation discs" and that made me think too.
    my last advice to culpeck would be to try and play the dvd from the my computer route sometimes software doesn't realise a disc is in the drive... so, right click on the movie and select Play from the options and depending on default software it's likely Media Player will start it...
    I just want Culpeck to come back and get an update on what happened and/or any solutions he/she found out.
    I don't have a sarcastic bone in my body and I am not far from a newb myself so I was not joking or anything.
    post back and tell us how you went ?
    thanks to Indochine for the words of wisdom and for being great
    almost my bedtime goodnight folks

8. culpeck

culpeck Regular member

not to be rude but ive tried all these my region i can chane 4 ties aswell but still wont play if i go to my computer to play dvd is says please insert dvd as it wont reconise propper dvds but only copies this is very frustrating im not a newbie and can solve most probs but not this one

9. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I asked 5 days ago, What software are you using to play the DVDs?

10. culpeck

culpeck Regular member

ive tried real player windows media player and also just downloaded and installes power dvd ver 7 full

11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I suggest you try VLC Media Player