1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's are pixelated toward the end of the movie.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dppca, Feb 16, 2007.

1. dppca

dppca Member

I have problems with movies I have burned with DVD Shrink. I am using nero 7 ultra, I have a new Burner, premium disks, 3 gigs of ram, 2gig intel processor and 200 gigs of hard drive space. Most but not all have pixelated sections toward the end of the movie. Is anyone else having the same problems? I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

2. Kentb53

Kentb53 Member

There are lots of variables that can cause this. First, open DVD Shrink/Edit/Preferences. In target size, select custom and enter 4400. This will keep your burn from the very edge of the disc where most errors occur. Burn speed can be a factor depending on your drive and the media you use. Please advise about your particular burner and media.

3. dppca

dppca Member

Thanks I* have a LG 16x gsa-h10l burner and am using Taiyo yuden or verbatum disks I believe the Taiyo yuden are 8X and the others are 16X. I did change the speed to 4X to try that but will change the target size to 4400.
    Thanks again

4. Kentb53

Kentb53 Member

Not that this will help the problem at hand, but most of the good media you have are optimized for faster burns. 4X is too slow. The Verbs sweet spot on most burners is 12X. I can't speak for Ty's.

5. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

dppca

What Kentb53 stated is correct, your problem can be caused by number of factors or a combination of.

The media your using is in my opinion good stuff, TY's (if real) and verbatim disks (which are what I primarily use along with sony) are considered good quality media, so no problem there unless you've got a bad batch for some reason.

The write speed used can also be a big factor, the rule to follow with deciding what write speed to select is to use 1/2 the rated spped of the media...so.. for the 8x disks try burning at 4x speed and for the 16x disks try 8x.

As suggested, you might also want to try and reduce the file size to keep from burning too close to the disks outer edge, this may not be necessary because of the media you're using and if the write speed is reduced as suggested, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Also, what I consider to be very important is the version of firmware installed for your burner. Updated firmware adds media compatibility and at times enhances the overall operation of the burner, this can also help ensure that the burner is doing its job correctly with the media used. I looked up your burner and the current firmware version is LL12, if your burner isn't using this version, I suggest you update.

You can get the update here for LG 16x gsa-h10l (LL12):
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2282

Cheers:)

6. dppca

dppca Member

Thanks for all the help. I'll try the speed change now. I had always burned at max and for a long time it worked fine. When I started having problems I changed the drive which seemed to help and I reduced the speed to 4. I'll reply as to the result of the changes. The movie I'm burning is The Departed but thats not the only new one that has given me grief.
    Thanks again.

7. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

If using 1st class media: genuine YUDENs, VERBs and HITACHI Maxell (MIJ), 4465MB or 4470MB shouldn't be any problem. I've been using 1st class media, plus customizing all of my backups to 4465MB - 4470MB and I've never seen any freezing or other issues whatsoever. However, the choice is yours.