1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's - different speed issue ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by AmiNutall, Jan 14, 2007.

1. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

I have copied to loads of DVD-R 's, but have just bought a pack of TDK DVD-R 1-16X that I cant seem to copy to.
    The only difference I can see from the TDK ones Ive copied to before , is that the previous ones were 1-8 , but the new ones are 1-16.
    My dvd drive is a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW 1633S.
    Ive looked at the spec , and it shows :
    Write Speeds: DVD+R:16X / -R: 8X, DVD+R9:2.4X DVD+RW: 4X, DVD-RW: 4X

I thought that the 1-16 meant that was the max speed it could do was 16 , but I guess theyre just incompatible with my DVD drive ?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You've most likely got a firmware issue. Usually happens with older drives and the newer/faster 16x media that is coming out.

Use neroinfotool,dvd decrypter,dvdinfopro,or dvdidentifier -which is free, to find the current firmware version on your drive:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

The latest firmware update for your litey is BS0Y and you can get it here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1934

Looks like there is a hack as well to bump that -8x burning to -12x

Can you also locate the MID codes of those blank tdk -8x and -16x?

Insert backup,select that litey drive,open dvdidentifier,click notepad and paste it back into your next post.

3. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Cheers for all that info saugmon.

I will have a look when I get home .

4. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

The latest firmware on my drive is BSOC. Bit wary of upgrading it on the 'flash' as it warns about "Bad flashing could destroy your drive definitively." .

From the 16 x DVD ....
    Manufacturer ID = TTH02
    21:32:53] DVD Identifier V5.0.1
    [21:32:53] Initializing Drive Interface [Auto-Select ASPI/SPTI]
    [21:32:53] SPTI Drive Interface Successfully Initialized
    [21:32:53] 1 Supported Drive Found (Out Of 1 Available Drive)
    [21:32:53] Manufacturer Database [08-OCT-06@727$93] Loaded From File : (@727$93) Entries Found
    [21:32:53] Internet Version Check Postponed Since Last Check Happened Less Than 1 Hour Ago
    [21:34:38] DVD-R/-RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification...
    [21:34:38] ** Initiating LPP Retrieval
    [21:34:38] LPP Read Completed Without Errors
    [21:34:38] Disc Identification Completed Successfully

Having put in the 8x DVD - R that Ive used successfully ...

* INFO : Drive = LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S - [FW BS0C] - [ATAPI]
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:TTG02]
    ** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
    ** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
    ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
    Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #2 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #3 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
    ** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
    Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #2 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
    Descriptor #3 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@AmiNutall,
    What speed are u burning those TTH02 discs at?

I have used those in the past and couldn't burn higher than 4x, but all the burns were perfect. BUT, i would only reccomend Verbatims, or Taiyo Yudens now.

Also i think the 8x(DVD-R:TTG02) are better than the 16x(TTH02)

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Either flash or use the discs you know work.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

BSOC is the original firmware,very old. You've missed the OH,OK,OR,OS,and the latest is the BSOY.

There is a risk when flashing. You got to be cautious of power interuptions.You have to have the correct firmware version-which can be difficult for some drives because of rebadges. If your pc does a lot of re-booting-registy errors,that's another thing to watch.

Make sure weather is ideal-no T storms,Ice storms,Hurricanes,typhoons,super volcanos,earthquakes,landslides,tsunami,UFO's,etc LOL.

Make sure drive to be flashed is empty.

I'm not sure which of those fw versions give the best results.You may want to go to cdfreaks.com under lite-on drives to get more info.

Download the firmware update from my link. Send it to a zip folder that you can easily find and download it. Close everything out,find that zip folder,open it up and follow directions to the final T. Some brands may be different.

It should be like installing any other ordinary program.

With 4x media extinct,8x almost extinct-the 16x speed is taking over and also 18x media, so one of these days you'll have to update that firmware or keep a huge stockpile of a certain MID coded media.

BTW: Those TDK's you have are pretty decent,but I do see a lot of burn logs with those TTG and TTH codes..Some drives despise them.
    They also have Cmags making their media for both -8x and -16x,so the MID code can change when going from 1 spindle,to another-in that exact same speed rate.

8. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Thanks for all the advice guys.
    I just think I will see if Ive kept the receipt and change them back for 1-8x if they have them.

It sounds like I may have to either try this upgrade or buy a new burner in the future. Technology is increasing so fast , as I know you can buy double sided burners , and ones that burn pics onto the DVD's as well.

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@AmiNutall

There is a risk with updating your firmware but a very low risk. The highest risk is flashing with the wrong firmware. In this case the firmware that is linked above is the correct firmware. I have the same drive as you and I am using the new firmware with no problem. So I strongly recommend downloading the firmware from the link above and update it.

Below is a LOG file of DVD Decrypter that shows I have the same DVD writer as you (Highlighted in red) and have the BS0Y firmware installed on it. It has worked perfect and definitely a better update then the firmware you are currently using.

[​IMG]

I also believe in not burning at MAX speed with your media. I know this is a debatable topic when it comes to quality media but I always burn my DVDs at half the rated speed no matter what. Plus I never burn slower then 4x. So if the media I use is rated 4x or 8x I burn at 4x If they are rated 16x I burn at 8x

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  10. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

It looks like updating my firmware has worked - many thanks for that.

I do say 'looks', as Ive just tried to backup some dvd footage, and it appeared to work. The problem is although it was 4.5 worth of data, it still asked for a 2nd disk. Is that becase the true max space is nowhere near 4.7 gig ?

Re-speed of writing to the disk, then when I used Nero , it didnt seem to ask me what speed to run it at.

And thirdly ! - Larry - if you have the same drive , I have a problem with plugging headphones into the socket on the drive - I get no sound ? I do get sound through another headphone socket on the computer. Any ideas ?

Many thanks, from a snowy Worcestershire.

11. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That is correct. All blank single layer dvd media says 4.7 gbs on their wrappers. Actually,it can only hold approx 4.38 gbs of data. There's a difference in the conversion of the byte and the actual size of a byte. Take your normal 200 gb harddrive. It won't hold 200 actual gbs of data.After the byte has been converted,it's only a 189 gb harddrive.

Anything over 4.38 actual gbs,you'll have to compress it through a program like dvd shrink,put on 2 discs,or 1 dual layer disc.

13. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Thanks Saugman. I did notice when doing a backup the other night it said something like 'space available - 4.31'.

Any idea on the headphone socket scenario ?
    Cheers.

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I save all my movie files for a couple months,then erase them. My backup target size is 4.37 gbs,but windows tells me that it's 4.25 gbs or lower-depending on the size of the movie..

Headphone jack? None of my drives have that. I can't help you out there,I don't listen to any music on the pc.

15. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Ive been going a bit over the top with saving data.
    I have the original Mini dv tapes, the end product file from TMPGEnc (which I have backe dup to DVD) , but have also been saving some of the AVI files to DVD. These have been quite large.
    I did consider buying an external hard disk , but at £60 I cant really justify this when DVD's are so cheap .