1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs fazed out

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by 99masond, Apr 8, 2005.

1. 99masond

99masond Member

I was wondering how long people think it will be before dvd’s are completely fazed out with the introduction of the new formats.

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

"fazed?"

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I think he means 'phased' or 'obsolete'.

Good question, very difficult to answer but there is new technology in blu ray which boasts higher rate transfers and more storage.

I think dvd's will be around for quite a while, but am interested to see how long cd's will remain, until a new format for music is introduced I think cd's will be like what the vcr is today, still in demand for those 'stuck' with what they know.

Actually it wouldn't surprise me if music actually became available to walk into a music store with a media card and paying for an upload that has encryption on (which no doubt will eventually bypassed)

4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I asumed he meant that also. I was just wondering if he would come back in English.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I always prefer to use the term [bold]Past tense[/bold]........

Or as they say in France...........L'histoire

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'm with you on this one buddy.

As far as DVDs being "phased out," I think it'll be at least 3-5 years or so before that starts to happen. When everything starts coming out on HD-DVD or BluRay, we'll probably end up using either 2 DL DVD-R's per movie or maybe they'll get converted to DivX, which I guess could very well fit a 25 GB BluRay movie onto a 8.5 GB DL DVDR with very little video quality loss.

7. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Everyone has it all wrong. Remember your history lessons when Edison invented the "phonograph"? Well guess what, there is in the works a round cylinder with a huge amount of digital memory in it which is about two inches in length and about 1/2 inch round. This will hold all HD programs whether it be a movie or photo shows etc. It is said there is enough memory which will be able to provide up to 6 hours view time at HD-TV standards within this tube device which will have two gold contacts (not plated like the overpriced Monster cables which are nothing more than a money making scam) which will provide instant access once inserted into a reader. So you see this will be the evolution of the newest computer hard drive replacements as well. Instant-On technology is just right around the corner and was invented the day Edison turned the wheel on his phonograph recording. Amazing how old technology made its way back into new technology.

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

, always someone around to say everyone else is wrong.............

Care to share some links and pictures with us????????

BTW A cylinder does not have 'length', it has height, diameter and circumference.....................

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

On my first racebike I had a tachometer that came off a 600cc Yamaha Fazer. It became obsolete when I bumped it with my knee while passing through the windscreen.

Fazer 600:
    [​IMG]

10. RCBabcock

RCBabcock Member

I doubt the CD is going away any time soon, either. None of the formats designed to replace it have made any significant inroads into CD's popularity (as a matter of fact, combined sales of DVD-A & SACD are roughly equal to LP sales!).

I expect BluRay to replace DVD completely by 2010/2012, although obviously that's just a guess- we could have a completely new format by then. But I suspect that when that day comes, CD will still be the dominent physical music delivery medium (although I think the trend is for music to simply be data on an HD- there'll always be a market for a physical carrier so long as the lawyers don't get rid of them).

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LMAO....love it......not your accident, but your analogy..........LOL

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi baabaa,
    It wasn't really an accident...It was raining and I got a bit sidways out of a corner and when it snapped straight it kicked me out of the seat and I stuck my helmet through the windscreen and my knee hit the tach. I had a good view of the front fender for a second. Then I landed back on the seat. I was passing for first place and this was the first of the few races I won. We prefer to call this a "bold move". (Or gawdawful lucky)

BTW did you see the original "Time Machine" movie? Remember those spinning rings? That's the future or maybe some sort of implant.

I think DVDs have some life left in them yet. 2012 sounds about right for blu-ray. I want to rip whatever is new of course...It sure is interesting to look at a collection of 700-800 VHS tapes and how much room they use. I wonder if we will look at DVDs the same way.

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, if it was me, then there would have been skid marks somewhere else aswell.............................

Ah, The Time Machine.......sometimes I think that is what I am stuck in, never really seem to get back to where I want to be.............

I'd go for the implants, pop into blockbusters, hook up a proton metogonothic probe and upload.............

Or something similar to Total Recall, an actual memory of it..........as long as I could bump into the bird with 3 breasts, I would be happy..............................

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Ah, Rod Taylor & Yvette Mimieux, she was a very attractive young lady in that film, Weena was her characters name. The morlocks in the second version did not do it for me, the original is the best.

Not sure what the new Hitch Hikers Guide will be like. It has Martin Freeman, the guy who plays Tim out of The Office, as Arthur Dent.
    I like the new Doctor Who, Chris Eccleston makes an excellent Doctor. Shame he has quit after one series though! Hmm, as for technology I think that dvds will be here for a few years yet, what will win out of blu-ray etc I am not sure. The probs that the manufacturers have is to convince people into buying the hardware. Pioneer is developing a dvd to hold 20gig per side. Again you have to market & sell the product.

Pulsar

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

too right!, one of the reasons i moved to DVDs was that i have no room on my boat for vids. I got about 650 dvds now and i got no more room.

I remember my first job where our Production Mainframe system (Tandem Nonstop which some of you US guys might have heard of) filled half the floor i worked on. Better still this system had Winchester (400MB-ish!) hard discs that you spun down and changed for another disc (these disk cabs were the size of small washing machines and we had a room of them). Now my main Production system is a wimpy Sun E10K and 8TB of disk - both could fit in a garage!

God i feel old now!
    And i've moved into the 21st century as i've plumpled for a 120GB drive at last.. my 20GB needs retiring..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005