1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd's not playing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dyckugood, Jan 18, 2007.

1. dyckugood

dyckugood Member

I have been burning dvd's for about a month now. I think i have done about 90. My last few have not been playing as well as the first 75 or so. (give or take a few)
    I use memorex dvd-r disc
    rip it 4 me
    dvd decrypter
    dvd shrink
    image burner
    What is wrong what do i need to do

2. colw

colw Active member

Memorex are not good quality media and can be of very variable quality - Try using Verbatim or TY's

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

first and formost .... use quality disks! here is a media guide for you: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    you will notice that the best media is MIJ (Made In Japan). the only exception to this rule is Verbatim... they are the only Tawain/Singapore made media that are top notch (in my opinion) that I will let near my burner! Using quaility media will stop many problems such as: player compatibility, pixelations, skipping, freezing and other maladies! here are some simple tid bits to live by:
    1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.)or Verbatim!~
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

happy buring and welcome to AfterDawn

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

4. dyckugood

dyckugood Member

thanks for all the info. You guys rock

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

digitalfaq is not the best choice for learning about optical media. Although half the information is accurate, the other half is wrong, misinformed, misleading, or simply bizarre. It's a great example of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing.

As for your discs, please describe the problem. How are they not playing as well? Do they stop? Does the picture break up into little green blocks? What drive are you using? Are you putting paper labels on the discs? Do the discs have debris on them? (Some factories used to place bottom spacers that were just lying around onto spindles, and the weight of the disc stack pressed debris onto the otherwise clean bottom disc. Now some of those factories keep the spacers in a covered hopper before use so that they stay dust free.)

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@dyckugood, What you have been told about memorex discs is in fact correct, it's just that joeryan seems to think everyone else is wrong in their opinion of memorex...they are horrible discs. Read this

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/262544

Then make up your own mind

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

CMC Mag, the company that gave Memorex the black eyes is also a manufacturer for leading brands like Verbatim. Times change... brands change manufacturers and manufacturers sometimes improve their product as CMC must have done. They make media for brands other than Memorex.

Some brands don't make any of their media while some manufacture some and also sell that manufactured by other companies. It takes ID software so a user actually knows what's at hand. I'm not saying the Memorex-CMC media is good, but I suspect it isn't the same trash we were getting 2 years ago when those tests Gwendolin linked to were done.

I'll have to agree with those who say go with TY or Verbatim. In some cases that's the same media. MCC is the house manufacturer for Verbatim. Verbatim usually makes sure what they're selling is the good stuff, Ty and MCC in the mix. Sony is another good brand. The Japanese +R is by TY. The Taiwan Sony by Sony is a good disc as well. There's so much good media, I just haven't taken the chance to check out Memorex since they fouled up a couple of years ago. Back then I used Memorex and the DVDs I recorded are still playing good. I had a run in with the Memorex CMCs and that was the end of Memorex. I'm almost curious enough to see what they're doing nowadays. Notice I said almost. LOL

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@PacMan777........... I used Memorex 2-3yrs ago and those babies coded out to RICOHJPNs, which is decent media! I guess I was lucky because I don't have a CMC MAG in my bunch! Lucky me!

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Ricoh is good media. They also made media for Verbatim and some of the other top brands. Then Memorex went to the CMC Mags. I could record some of them and those have lasted. But I got a few coasters out of a small bundle and that normally doesn't happen. That's when I dropped Memorex like a hot rock. I can't say Memorex still has a problem, but I can't say they don't either. I think the next time I'm low on media I might give them a shot just to see what they're doing nowadays. Even if Memorex is back to having decent media, that old Memosux rep is going to hurt them for a while.

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

all i know is that I don't get any coaster with my MIJs! that makes a big difference!

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I use MITs as well as MIJs and haven't had any coasters in a long time. "knock on wood." It pays to find reliable media and stick with it till a company pulls a bad deal like Memorex did. I've stuck with Sony +R almost exclusively for the past year with Verbatim for the DL (they're MKM, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Singapore). The sonys are Ty from Japan and Sony from Taiwan, both excellent media.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  12. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

for movies i only use VERBATIM

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Who made your Verbatim today? ;)