1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvds not working in car

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by redoli, May 4, 2007.

1. redoli

redoli Member

i am having a problem with the old burner not reading new sony discs, suppose it was a firmware update problem. could not find firmware updates for it. so i bought a new pioneer drive and it reads the new sony discs but when the disc is burned it plays fine in the home players but wont work in the car player so i reverted to burning the kids discs with the old burner to play in the car. just wondering if there were settings other than with Nero to make this work. they are the same discs and same programs and everything. they just wont work in the car. and thats the main reason for making the backups for the kids in the car so the originals dont get ruined. dont have a problem using different drives to burn movies as they both burn fine but was wondering what you guys think. i cotacted pioneer and they replied "Your current problem could be caused by either the media format or possibly the software used fro the writing is using an encoding which the player could not recognise." then they also repied "One thing to try would be to use a different format or speaking with the manufacturer of the player for advice on supported formats." please help.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Don't suppose the old drive burns at a low speed and the new drive is burning at top speed?

3. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

If you're using DVD+R media,you can booktype it to DVD-ROM,making it more compatible and may be with that,it will play in your car dvd player.

Vincent.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Did your old burner make discs that played in the car? What discs where you using then?

5. redoli

redoli Member

both drives are burning at 8x. i am using dvd+r and how can i make it a dvd-rom? the old burner is using imation discs and work fine in the car. the pioneer has used them but still wont work in the car so im saving the last few for the old drive. the pioneer is using cheap nexxtech discs but the old drive wont even recognize them.

6. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

If the burner you're using actually is a pioneer,then booktyping DVD+R media to DVD-ROM won't be that simple as some other burners.You need to use a hacked firmware(buffalo firmware)to be able to do so.

What's the brand of your old burner?Because depending on the brand,it may be able to booktype.But if you have been able to play DVD+R media burned on your old burner without booktyping,then i guess booktyping is not an issue for your car's dvd player.It's just,as you said,because you're using cheap discs,that's what could explain why your old burner is getting a hard time to recognize this media(you can try to update your old burner's firmware,there might be a chance for it to recognize it after)and your car's dvd player too.Try some much better media like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden,these will certainly work on both you old burner and in your car's dvd player without the need of being booktyped(as it has worked with the non-booktyped imation discs).

One more thing,if you think it's a bit complicated for you to cross-flash your pioneer burner with a hacked firmware to enable booktyping for single layer +R media and want to avoid that,then you can use the -R media format,as without booktyping the +R format media to DVD-ROM,the -R format media remains more compatible than a non booktyped disc.

Vincent.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  7. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Use Verbatim DVDR-16x and burn at 4x