1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDS ON PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by wrules, Jan 28, 2008.

1. wrules

wrules Regular member

I know that you can put dvds onto your ps3 hardrive. I have ps3 video 9 and i was wondering do i have to rip the dvd first or does ps3 video 9 do it for me?
    Does ps3 video 9 support menus?

2. Hunt720

Hunt720 Member

The problem is, most DVD's have encryption on them... so if you rip the .vob files (the video files that make up the movie) you won't be able to do much with them. Download DVD Decryptor (sp) from this site and use it to get the .vob files to your computer. If you want 100% DVD quality you can just rename the files to .mpeg and they will play.

Example:

You use DVD Decryptor to get XXXXXXXX.vob and YYYYYYYY.vob to your computer's hard drive. You can then rename the files (AND extentions)to DVDNAME.MPEG and DVDNAME2.MPEG The files should then play on windows media player even, and if your PC is networked to your PS3 for streaming (I reccomend this.. its easy to do with windows media player 11) you can either watche the files by streaming them, or by copying them to your PS3 over the network.

... this is a simple method and there are more in-depth methods where you can use ps3 video 9 to reformat the video files you rip as this decreases the size of the files and saves you room on your hard drive... it DOES however decrease the quality depending on the settings you use.

3. wrules

wrules Regular member

Can you explain the way to decrypt the film?
    How do i stream the file to my ps3?
    Can i just copy the files?
    When you said that you get a ,xxxx vov file and a yyyy file, how will they be 1 file?

4. Hunt720

Hunt720 Member

You'd have to search for a program that edits video... to merge them together.. I try not to because generally if the file is more than 2gigs it doesn't work due to the file limitations of the FAT 32 file system (basically its better to keep it small if you are going to transfer it to your PS3.

I think it may be ok to keep it larger if you are streaming. To get your computer to stream it to your PS3 do a google search on how to stream with windows media player 11. You may or may not need to upgrade windows media player depending on your version. Once its installed you just need to set it up (again just look that up on google)

Once media player is set up you should be able to find it pretty easy if you are using a router and both machinces (PC and PS3) are plugged into it. Just click the "search for media servers" icon under video and your pc should show up. Some people prefer other media streaming software... you can probably find your options on this site.

5. wrules

wrules Regular member

im not sure how i set up my ps3 (wirelessly) to windows 11? I already have it hooked up (wirelessly for online play)