1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's play on PC but not in standalone DVD Player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by carmur, Mar 25, 2005.

1. carmur

carmur Guest

Hope somebody can help. My LG DV 7711P will play any burned CD-R's (regardess of media type) but will not play any burned DVD -R/DVD+RW. I am using Aurora Video VCD/SVCD/DVD Converter & Creator, I don't think its the program, as it functions quite well and burned DVD's will play on my PC with Power DVD without any problems. The media I am using is TDK and my DVD burner is a Sony DVD RW DRU-510 1.1a. I am fairly new at this burning, thought I was doing OK, but I am out of ideas with this one, and have wasted a lot of DVD-R. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. colw

colw Active member

If they play OK on your computer - try in some different standalones (friends etc).

Standalones often tend to be finicky with the media they will/will not recognise.

El cheapo Chinese standalones often more reliable and tolerant with burnt media.

3. carmur

carmur Guest

Thankyou for your suggestion colw. I think I have found the source of my problem. You know those famous last words "I don't think its the program", well it turns out, it is. I did a lot a reading on these posts and thankyou to bbmayo (where ever and whom ever you are)I was directed to his website, which by the way, its absolutely fantastic for instructions and very useful for any newbie. Anyway I downloaded the 3 programs that he suggested, followed the very easy instruction, every DVD that I have burned plays on my standalone, first time and everytime. I have notified Aurora and they are looking into the possibility of a bug.

4. Delgado69

Delgado69 Member

What is the website and programs? I am having the same problem with my Plextor PX-716A using Roxio Easy Creator 7.0. Using Fujifilm DVD-R's and it won't play on stand alone but will play in computer. Thanks

5. carmur

carmur Guest

6. carmur

carmur Guest

Sorry try again, forgot to remove the comma at end of the link http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

You will also find the link to the software once you click on the "AVI to DVD" link. Let us know, how you go.

7. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

is the quality still good after conversions? I used one I don't remember but it converted a 200mb ogm to a 9gb avi and yet the quality got worst and all crappy

8. Delgado69

Delgado69 Member

Excuse my ignorance - files using .bup and .ifo with a VIDEO_TS folder are in avi???? Do I need to convert them to some other format to be played on a standalone DVD player?

9. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

no I just meant I converted a 200mb .ogm file to a 9gb .avi file and the quality was bad. As for playing your movies use Nero, Dvd Decypter, DVD X Copy or anything similar.

10. carmur

carmur Guest

[bold]Delgato69[/bold] I'm fairly new at this too but my understanding is that an avi file is converted to .bup .ifo. vob format, with programs like DivXtoDVD and placed in a Video TS folder. The conversion of avi, mpeg etc. to .bup .ifo. vob formats is necessary for the file to be DVD compliant.

If you just follow the step by step instructions "AVI to DVD" to the link I posted earlier, you will be fine.

11. carmur

carmur Guest

[bold]l34merik[/bold], yes the quality is still good after conversion. I have had no problems at all with the quality. I guess it all depends on how good the quality of your avi file was, before you started conversion.