1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's Stop Playing

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ronezra, Oct 20, 2004.

1. ronezra

ronezra Member

First, I hope this is in the right forum, and I apologize if this has been answered before!

I have just completed a DVD project of our last vacation to Germany with friends.

Using a MiniDV camera and Pinnacle Studio 9, I have menus, voice-overs, background music, slide show, etc. and all went very well. First burn went without a hitch - the DVD played fine on 2 computers, a stand-alone set top player, and a player built into a TV.

So I burned an additional 7 copies for everyone, and checked all as above - all the way to the end.

This morning, all eight copies will play in the computers, but all start skipping/stopping at the 50%-75% points in the TV DVD players.

I realize that the media is important, but because I has tested all after burning, I figured I was OK. (The media is CompUSA media.) Is it possibe for the DVD's to change after the first playing??!! Or is there something else going on? (I have ordered Ricek media for future use.)

TIA

:<Ron>

2. madmax69

madmax69 Member

Compusa media as of late has been manufactured by princo....
    1) princo most will say is not very reliable..although I myself just purchased the comnpusa brand and have burned 15 with no problems....

2)many stand alone players are picky with certain types of media...be it Premium or cheapo +R ,-R...My magnavox doesn't like Ritek....neither does my Ps2...buth they play Prodisc and Princo just fine...

3) -R seems to have better compatability with most players...

I have had a situation where the disc was choppy on my computer and perfect on my player...

Bottom line...it could be the media or your player which doesn't like the media....that doesn't mean the media is no good..that would be a compatability issue...but given Princos track record I would say most likely it's the media but again...there is no guarantees that your player will even read a particular brand disc...be it premium or not...Find what works for your burner and your player and stick with it until it changes...which in the dvd media business is quite often...Something you bought last time...the next time might not work since many change the media code...change the manufacturer...etc..

Tools you need to know who makes the discs in order to make sure you are getting what works for you and has in the past...

dvdidentifier and dvdinfopro..they will tell you the manufacturer id...etc..

Last suggestion...look into buying a sample pack to test several brands out...and see what works for you...newegg.com ..rima.com and supermediastore.com offer test packs...

3. ronezra

ronezra Member

Madmax69,

Thanks for your help!

I understand the media and compatability problems you talk about - I have been fighting that problem for some time. But these 8 DVD's were tested after burning all the way to the end - with no skipping or problems at all in both my TV players! I thought that would indicate that I had good media. Two days after burning is when they started skipping. Can they change??

Do DVD players ever need "head" cleaning - or something similiar? (I wouldn't think so but who knows!)

Again, thanks for the help!

4. ronezra

ronezra Member

As a side note:

After testing each DVD, I then added a stick-on, printed label to each DVD. Can that somehow affect the playing perforance??

5. ronezra

ronezra Member

Well, I have answered my own question!

As a test, I pulled off the label on a DVD that was no longer working and guess what - it now plays fine. I have now pulled off the labels on 6 other disks that did not play (one that I had burned over a year ago) and all now play fine!

So, DO NOT use stick-on labels for DVD's!

6. madmax69

madmax69 Member

Oh...the labels will definitely cause that....as to your question about degradation...yes...it is possible...many on this forum have had discs that seemed perfect no longer read after a few months...certain companies boast superior azo dye technology and boast about 100 years data life..

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ronezra,
    Stick on labels are not recommended as they can throw the media out of balance (although I use them w/o any problems). I would also recommend moveing up to a better grade of media for vidio reproduction (any media is ok for data backup) such as Taiyo Yuden, Ricohjpn, MCC, or TDK. Stay away from retail store brand name media.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004