1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs to my Archos AV480

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by GuybrushT, Aug 10, 2004.

1. GuybrushT

GuybrushT Member

So the last few days I have been trying to rip some of my DVDs, convert them to DIVX and load them on my Archos AV480.

Of course this is a PAIN IN THE ASS!

The first two DVDs I did worked fine and this was my process:
    1) Using Gordian Knot I rip the DVD
    2) Use DVD2AVI to create the .d2v but I select "Decode to wav" in the Audio tab instead of "Demux All Tracks"
    3) Convert .d2v to AviSynth Frameserver (.avs)
    4) Open up VirtualDub 1.5.10
    5) Load .avs
    5a) Select "WAV Audio" from Audio Menu and open appropriate .wav file that was created with DVD2AVI
    5b) Choose "Full processing mode"
    5c) For the Compression I pick MP3 128Kbps
    6) Under the Video compression I choose DIVX 5.2.0 Codec and under the configure select the prober bitrate, etc.
    7) Choose "Save AVI" from the file menu

It then goes about it business and in about 1 hour and 45 min I have a fresh divx file of my movie. Copy it to my Archos and everything works fine :)

The third and fourth DVD I tried using the same process went through the whole encode up to about 98% then gave me a "Video Compression Error - Cannot Proceed" and the whole thing was shot and I wasted 2 hours :(

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any idea what the problem even is? I mean it is strange that it worked for the first two dvds and now refuses to work.

Being frustrated I tried to just do everything in the Gordian Knot program...

1) Same as 1-3 above except I "Demux all tracks" in DVD2AVI
    2) Convert to .avs and select "Save and Encode"
    3) Follow the instructions here to encode
    http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/dvd2divx5_gordianknot.html
    4) Wait 2.5 hours

After this process I have a divx file that works fine on my computer but when I load it to the Archos the video is fine but the audio isn't sync'd at all :(

So that, even though it got through the encode, is unusable.

So I am wondering if anyone had a similar experience and/or knows how to fix this problem before I waste another 3 hours only to find it didn't work.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: The precise error I get (not that it probably helps is)
    "Video Compression Error: An unknown error occured (may be corrupt data) (error code-100)"

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  2. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Isn't it possible to record from a DVD player to your Archos?

3. halfred

halfred Member

I just got an Archos Gmini400 and have been working through the same thing. I finally got something to work.

I used the AutoGK package that I DL'd here. I tried doing it manually, but I was having a hard time so I went with the simple approach. It works for what I need.

Follow the directions in AutoGK's tutorial but before you run it, make these changes.
    1. I set my "Target Quality (in percentage)" field to 50 so I get nice tiny files (the Gmini has a 5cm screen, so I haven't been concerned with quality).
    2. Under the "Advanced Settings" button, I select:
    - Fixed width = 320 (again, it's a tiny screen)
    - Codec = DivX (it should work with XviD, but once I got it working, I stopped testing)
    - Audio - CBR MP3, kbps 128 (again, I could probably go down, but I haven't tried it)

So far that works great for me, produces smallish files that work fine on my tiny Gmini (about 6800KB/minute). I would like to get the file size down even smaller, but I'll have to do some more tweaking. I have been testing on one of the trailers on a DVD so I don't have to wait for the whole thing to run before I realize i have failed.

I had several of the same problems you described. When I did AC3 audio, my Gmini had no sound. When I did VBR MP3 audio, the sound wasn't sync'd right. The CBR MP3 seemed to work OK.

4. GuybrushT

GuybrushT Member

Yes but the quality is awful and the file size is big.

5. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Here's my 2 cents. I've been thinking about buying a portable media player, but still am confused regarding what brand will play what kind of files. In my recent searching, I came across this program for my Palm (which is quickly becoming my PMP). It's called Pocket DVD, and it compresses a DVD movie so it can fit on a 256mg SD card. I just copied a recent James Bond movie (2+ hours), and the output [bold] avi [/bold]file was 213mg. Takes about 1.5 hours or so. This play fine on my PC (I needed to install the Xvid codec) through WMP, and I'm still working on getting it to play on my Palm via a third-party product. Of course, the resolution is small but it's a pretty good compressor. But given the screen on my Palm is about 2.5 inches square, this resolution works fine. Audio is pretty clean too.

6. ctwrye

ctwrye Member

The easiest way to get movies onto an Archos AV480 is to connect the Archos to a DVD player and record them directly. It takes less time and is much simpler than any other way. You can record to either TV quality or LCD quality and you don't have to worry about any conversions.

I have an old Pioneer Laser Disc/DVD player to which I connect the Archos. I have copied all my old LaserDiscs and several of my DVDs this way. If your DVD is copy protected, the Archos will still copy it, but won't let you watch it on anything but the LCD screen on the AV480. The picture and sound seem to stay in sync for all movies I have copied to the Archos, so far (About 30).

The only problem I have had is the Archos locked up once as I was finishing recording a two-hour movie. When I shut the AV480 off and turned it back on, the movie was not there.

7. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Great Information here, I have an Audio Sync Problem.

Conversion:

- DVD Dcryptor (DVD to IFO)
    - AutoGordianKnot 1.6 (IFO to DIVx (Xvid did not play))
    Using DIVx 5.2.1

The result is a great looking Video that is synced in my computer but when played in my Av480, the audio is behind by 2-3 seconds. I have heard VirtualDub might help the situation, but How?

Any suggestions?

8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Strange to hear these synch problems in playback.
    They play in synch on PC, but not in portable device?
    I am a synch expert, I can help you synch anything, quickly & easily.
    It is best to get it 'perfect' right away (easy with GordianKnot and AutoGK) but you can adjust these manually, to suit your playback requirements.
    We could easily move the audio ahead by 2-3 seconds, will that help?
    Will the file then be wrong for PC playback?
    @Guybrush
    Use GKnot as intended, as a frameserver for VDubMod.
    Use DVDDecrypter on DVD (built-in to GKnot, but I use first, standalone)
    Demux audio to separate file.
    Run GKnot on video, 2 pass DivX 5.2.1 (SP2 compatible) rip using certified DivX profile for portable device. Easy & automatic :)
    Now, the audio; ahem (cough)...
    Most audio on DVD is AC3.
    Demuxed AC3 track will be 150-600MB.
    Start BeSweet, which is installed by GKnot, or standalone if you req:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_tools/besweet.cfm
    and
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_tools/besweetgui.cfm
    Very complex!
    Go to Azid1 right away.
    You will see top-left, it wants only 3 things:
    The Azid EXE file;
    The AC3 file;
    The name & location for the WAV file (output).
    Select LFE to LR Channels -3dB
    Dynamic Compression (probably, for you guys with portables) High
    Normalize to 100%
    Touch nothing else, and you will get a Pro-Logic surround compatible stereo downmix.
    Click AC3 to WAV (bottom-right) and it will do a 2-pass audio extraction, to a nice CD-quality WAV.
    If you need MP3, don't use VirtualDub.
    Use CDex
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/cd-da_extractors/cdex.cfm
    and the latest LAME v3.96.1
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/audio_encoders/lame_mp3_encoder.cfm
    Note you will not need to 'normalize' your MP3, because Azid has already gained your WAV file to reference -0dB.
    Mux the video and VBR audio into the finished AVI using NanDub, which is also installed by GordianKnot or is available separately
    http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Encoders/MPEG4/nandub-binary-1.0rc2.rar
    You can advance or retard the audio, relative to the video, all you want.
    Just remember, 1000ms = 1 second.
    It is all much easier than it sounds, once you get comfortable with it, and you have full control and get maximum quality.
    I'm trying to be brief here - if any dodgy areas, come back here for further clarifications.
    Regards
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

ABIT AN7 nForce2 Ultra 400
    XP2500+ Barton @ 3200+
    2 x 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  9. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Great news. I found the problem and fixed it. Actually I need to thank Halfred. I ran the analysis of the movies that came with the AV-480 and saw the Frame rate, Stream Speed and Audio. Halfred is right, you can only use the "CBR" mode in the audio and try not to exceed the 128. So you can do the following

- Use the AUTOGK (Get the latest from doom9.net)

+ Set it to read your video files IFO (Convert DVD
    to IFO using the DVD Drycpter (doom9.net)
    + Set the Output to the desired location

+ Set it for DIVx Encode
    + Set your screen no larger than 480
    + Press "Advance Mode", Set Audio to 128 and CBR
    + Add File
    + Start Conversion

(Site of 1CD, Versus 2 CD, only applies to number of output generated by Auto GK),

Go enjoy the Outdoor, sleep or what every you can for 3-5 Hours on P4HT,2.8G, 1G DRAM, 800FSB

I tried my Dr DIVx 1.06 ($$$$) Versus Auto GK, Auto GK is by far more superior is the same bit rate. They both were set for 2 Pass (MPEG-4 ASP Level5).
    By the way, help the Auto GK, by sending them few $$ or Euros (I am not part of the team, only a thankful user)

For AV480, do not use XVID or Files Over 2G.

Enjoy this great little GEM ;-)

10. SurferM

SurferM Member

Hi,
    Ok so if its true that the av400's dont support vbr media higher than 128 or so; how do I get the mp3 to that format...

As in, I have the ac3 file, normally I would run besweet and click ac3 to mp3 and it will return an mp3 file. Is this file vbr or cbr or neigher???

In other word do I encode the mp3 in that way with besweet or when I use nandub to mux it back to the video??? However, in nandub when you select to add the mp3 it says MP3 (VBR), so how do I get it to cbr??

thanks,
    SurferM

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

SurferM,
    I have given you the answer to your question, immediately above, in precise step-by-step instructions.
    How can you ask a question that follows directly after the answer?
    1) Use BeSweet (Azid) to convert AC3 to WAV
    2) Use CDex to encode VBR MP3
    3) Mux AVI with NanDub
    If you require CBR MP3, then make CBR MP3 with CDex.
    Then use regular VirtualDub to mux AVI
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub_1_3c.cfm
    instead of using NanDub.
    I know it is new to you, but your questions have been asked 1000 times and the answers are readily available.
    Don't mind me, LoL ;)
    I just don't like typing and repeating myself means more typing...

12. SurferM

SurferM Member

Well thank you for your reply, however it would have been sufficent just to tell me that cdex allows me to encode a wave to cbr format...

Thanks

13. different

different Member

does the av480 allow for recorded tv programmes to be played back on the TV and other TV's, not just on the LCD?

14. Odraode

Odraode Member

Yes you can as long as it is not copy protected material...

If you find a way of playing back on your TV set copy protected material you have backed up with your Archos AV400 let me know :)) I'm interested in that myself

15. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Amigo,

If you want to back up copy protected material, such as DVD. Then visit doom9.org. There are plenty of softwares out there allowing you to do that very simply:

DVD to Divx using your computer

- DVD to Computer HD, Use DVDDecryptor (IFO mode)
    - IFO to Divx, Use the AutoGK to load the VOB files and convert them to DIVx (doom9.org)
    * Make sure that you have set the audio to mp3, 128, CBR (Constant Bit rate)
    Process take 4-5 hours

The programs that do this automatically are called
    DVD rippers to DIVx

To directly copy from your DVD player

- Buy a Macrovision remover box (originally designed for the VCRs), use this box to connect the DVD/VCR to your AV480. (Do not pay more than 19 Euros)

- Connect the input of the box to the Video output of the VCR/DVD, Connect the output to the Video input of AV480. Start the DVD/tape and AV480 together. That is all! (Make sure that the video output in AV480 is set to PAL)

Enjoy your little GEM, Adios

16. Odraode

Odraode Member

WOW!
    Thanks a lot [bold]geshtasp[/bold] :))
    This was precisely what I was looking for!
    I'm having a hard time trying to find a Macrovision remover box for less than 50 bucks but I suppose it takes some looking around.
    With this trick I think I'll enjoy my little gem even more....

17. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

18. different

different Member

cheers for that. could you also tell me if its possible to playback through a TV without a VCR?

19. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

Yes, you can play the video files through TV. You can already do this by the provided cradle. But I also recommend you to buy the following ($19.99 in US):

http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500671.html

This will allow you to take your Archos AV480 anywhere and connect it to a TV/Monitor and also record.

Now, to change the display from LCD to TV there are 2 ways:

1- Push and hold the Start button (The one in middle of the big switchs) for 10 Seconds, You will see the LCD darkens and the display is now transfered to TV. Pushing and holding it for 10 Seconds will reveret it back to LCD from TV.

2- Push the chrome button on the Top Right hand side of the unit. It will do the same thing.

I recommend you all to download the new manual from:

http://www.archos.com/download/manuals.html

It is a lot better and updated version of the manual shipped with the unit.

Also try to check the OS version (lower right side of the screen when powered up) and update it to the latest. The version 1.7 is more stable.

For Blocks who download XXX movies, make sure that the movie is in DIVx. This unit can not play XVID, WMV9 or any other. Later, I will tell you how to convert to DIVx from XVID.

Cheers,

20. different

different Member