1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs to my Archos AV480

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by GuybrushT, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Aznxmel

Aznxmel Guest

Thanks shiroh, i just orderd mine and will be going through this forum for now and see if i can change a Naruto file. and some rips

2. mesiodens

mesiodens Member

This sight is great...i've read it all...thanks.

I do have a question though...which is better

Xvid or Dvix? If so why?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  3. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

mesiodens,

Welcome to our forum. I personally like Divx better than Xvid. The Divx has a better Motion Estimation engine, this is an important factor when you watch anything with action. For Archos, it does not matter at all.
    Both codecs are freely available.

For test, I have encoded same movies (Star Wars II). You can see the difference on my HDTV. You get artifacts in many fast frames, despite the fact, they are both encoded at 1.5Mb rate.
    You can find great amount of varing results on the web.

[bold] This is my take on Xvid Vs Divx [/bold]

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

glad to see its working

but first, try just copying it directly and see if it works.

this is rather subjective. it is a matter of preference. it seems i like xvid better for its wide area of customization. currently i'm using 1.1 alpha.
    you can find the build at http://www.koepi.org/
    and i think its good enough to be used as a backup tool.

you should test both and see which one you like.

lastly, great video is far more from the codec. try treating the video with sharpening. denoising to make it more compressible. but there is not much you can do if the video is already crap. i'm talking about treating original released dvd.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...5aeb&threadid=84196&highlight=limited+sharpen

5. shoook

shoook Member

Okay I'm new to all this and I just bought my AV420. I would like to understand exactly, step-by-step how to get the standard avi divx/xvid movies onto the AV420. I've seen all the posts, but for a noob like myself it is very confusing. Also I've heard there is a patch for Windows iTunes which makes it compatible with the Archos, making iTunes think the AV400 is an iPod, does anyone know anything about this? Thank you for all your help.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  6. DaveO1959

DaveO1959 Member

I would like to ask why these two settings:

+ 2CD mode
    + Set your screen no larger than 480

Given the 2 gig limit on Fat32 that Archos uses why not use that rather than 2cd mode.

And for the screen, why not 640?

Dave

7. woteva

woteva Guest

I have read through all the previous posts in search for an answer to my question, but unfortunately no luck.
    You have discussed how to get an original DVD onto the Archos, but (I know i shouldn't of) how do you get a downloaded movie onto the Archos ( Mine's a 420)

I downloaded a movie and when it finished I saw that it was a divx.avi . How would i get my movie on my Archos av420 so it works perfectly.

Please post a detailed reply of the steps including what programs i need ( preferably free!! )

Please, Please, PLEEAASE! answer my question. I know downloading is wrong but i just want to get one movie working!!

I would be Eternally grateful, Thanks!

8. different

different Member

geshtasp

I tried using the DVD Decrypter, but it splits my DVD up into 8 parts. Is there anyway to stop this?

9. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

Hi All,

I have the AV480 for some time now, and figured out how to use it very well. Also no problems ripping DVD's to it (I use DrDivx or AutoGK).

However I keep running into one issue, when i download a movie off the internet it plays great on my computer (be it divx or xdiv, most are xdiv), but has an audio sync issue which i was not able to resolve (without re-encoding, which sucks - reduce quality of video) when playing on the AV480.
    If I extract the audio to a wav file, and then mux it to the avi WITHOUT COMPRESSION (i.e. PCM), it plays fine!!!! however, using any compression (even very low rate CBR MP3) keeps introducing the sync problem. (I used vdub or nundub for that).
    Does anyone have the same issues? Does movies you get off the net work on your Archos?

thanks

Raz

10. woteva

woteva Guest

Raz, how did you actually get the downloaded movie to play on the Archos? ( Explain both Divx and Xvid, please! ) I don't mind about the audio sync. yet, i just want it to play!!

11. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

well, some don't play at all, but most do. Try a few. Also, if they don't just re-code them with DrDivx etc, or just remove the audio and see if they play (some types of audio will cause the file not to play at all).

12. woteva

woteva Guest

Ok, so what i need to do to get my downloaded Divx.avi file to play just the video, for the moment, is what?

Do i have to convert using DrDivx to a certain file type or something different.

Please tell!!

13. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

YES, Just open the file with Dr.Divx and run it with any of the build in profiles (any way you do it will work fine, just the quality and file size will be affected). Make sure in the settings to set the audio to 128k or 96k CBR (not VBR - that causes problems sometimes). And there you go. I did it many times, on many movies (from Mpeg 2, DVD, Xdiv, Divx etc) and it always works.

If the movie is a Divx or xdiv you can try another solution that does not cost in quality. Use Vdub to save the audio as WAV and then reopen the file and mux the wav file into it without compression (ie PCM audio) (use direct stream copy in both audio and video). This is quick, results in a bigger file, but in many cases (not all) it solves all the problems.

good luck

14. woteva

woteva Guest

Thank you, you have helped me a lot and i hope you get an answer to your question, or figure it out yourself!

15. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

sure, hope it will all work for you. I still can not figure out why the movie plays in sync with the audio in PCM and out of sync if the audio is MP3. Archos support does not even answer their e-mails....

16. turtle420

turtle420 Member

Does anyone know how or if you can copy a DVD to the Archos directly from the DVD IF the DVD has NO coding issues. DVD's can be backed up using some programs out there, and once the DVD is backed up (DVD XCopy is one program), there should be no coding on the disc at all. Would there be any sound or video quality issues. The reason I ask is because I am thinking about purchasing the Archos, but do not want to if it is a 5 hour process to get a DVD on it. Any help?

17. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

dvd can not be copied to the archos as is since its an MPEG2 not Mpeg4, and archos can only play mpeg 4. you have 2 options:

a.play the dvd on your player and record it with the archos, which is only ok quality but takes only the length of the dvd and no computer needed.

b. recode it using something like AutoGK, which is not too long of a proccess (if you got a decent machine its around 1 to 2 hours, depending on the codec and if you use one or 2 passes).

I prefer B, what one can do is the following:
    1. Copy the DVD(s) (using dvddecrypter) to the hard disk (i do a few at a time).
    2. run AutoGk or DrDivx on all of them overnight
    3. wake up to a whole bunch of movies you can watch on the road :)

as you asked, its only if you have no copyrights issue.

18. turtle420

turtle420 Member

Thanks for the info. Are there any options I would need to set on the DVDdecrypter or AutoGK to get them to work? Is it going to be almost DVD quality? What if the DVD's are coded? Is there a more involved process, or am I best taking the 20 minutes just to backup the DVD and then doing the process you told me about above?

19. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member

its a simple process. Use DVDdecrypter to copy the dvd (and if you intend to break copyright rules :)) to the Hard disk, and from there AutoGK or DrDivx will do the rest. You need ofcourse to choose your audio language and subtitels, and the video track you wish. Go to the guides on DVD to DIVX and see how to do it in details (doom9.org or this site). good luck.

20. raz_1234

raz_1234 Member