1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs to my Archos AV480

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by GuybrushT, Aug 10, 2004.

1. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Hello all,

Been following this thread for sometime, and have contemplated buying the Archos, until I saw this at the CES last month:

http://www.x2usa.com/html/mega_view_566.html

Tried it out, loved it. Has all the features I wanted - small, plays any Divx/Xvid movie, MP3s, pictures, video in/out, free extra battery, SD card slot, etc. Bought it on eBay for $399, and received it last night. GUI could be nicer, but it's very intuitive. Device connects via USB 2.0 port and shows up as a hard drive, so file management couldn't be easier. Batteries came charged, had it up and running in a couple of minutes. Transferred about 6 Divx/Xvid movies (400mb - 700mb each) and 1,000 MP3s in about 5 minutes. Everything plays great! What can I say. Just wanted to share the news. Haven't had a chance to try the record function, but it looks simple enough with only one cable to plug in, unlike the Archos octopus. I'd certainly call it an iPod killer..

2. nhsmdh

nhsmdh Guest

Hello -

I'm new to the forum and there seems to be experts with Video Encoding for the Archos AV480 here.

I'm having 2 problems I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'd like to rip DVDs and encode them to DIVX with a high quality/resolution/frame rate... mainly for viewing on a larger screen from the Archos AV out.

I downloaded DVD Decrypter and ripped DVDs flawlessly. I then downloaded both AutoGK and Dr.Divx because I heard good things about both.

I am able to encode to DIVX perfectly with high resolution and perfect synch (via MP3 CB4 128 rate as suggested).

However, the motion is not fluid... it seems almost robotic. Frame rate is shown to be 30FPS and I usually will set a 15 minute chapter (from a music DVD) to be around 500MB in size and 640 X 480. What are the best settings for shorter video clips (between 20-60 minutes)?

What can I do to ensure the motion of the video to be fluid and not jerky? I know there are other advanced settings that can help... I'm not sure if I'm using them right. I can use Dr. Divx, Auto GK or both.

And lastly, I tried encoding a ripped DVD file of an old Black & White comedy short from 1930s. For some reason, the AutoGk is recognizing the source as a NTSC FILM, defaulting the frame rate to 24 FPS.

I guess if the source is a film, you can not increase the frame rate. Dr.Divx does this as well. Does anyone know a way around this?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

3. different

different Member

I must be doing something fundamentaly wrong. I use DVD Decrypter and do what u all say works, but it is split into 5 different sections.
    I then use AutoGK and have to add all 5 different files. I start the ripping and the files are not in order, e.g. VTS_02_01 is contains biginning and end of film with bits in between, but not all clips. confusing?
    I tried fiddling with the settings in DVD Decrypter and think i managed it to not split movie, but file is greater than 4GB so only completes 97% b4 saying there is not enough space.

Please help!!!!!

4. jsharper

jsharper Member

5. drooney

drooney Member

First of all i'd like to thank geshtasp for his easy to follow tutorial in converting my DVD's to my Archos AV440. I have run in to a bit of a problem with converting videos which i have downloaded from the net. I use Dr.Divx but the sound is out of sync. I hope someone could help me out with this.

6. geshtasp

geshtasp Member

drooney,

Thanks for the compliment. I have been through the pain, and finally have my Archos working great with downloaded movies.

Downloaded movies could be using the VBR mode. If you have Dr Divx, read in the Video, choose appropriate video quality, then next screen, choose advance option, this allows you to change the source (downloaded) movies, Audio from VBR to CBR, set the max rate ti 128Kb. I have trid on many movies and it works.

Cheers,

7. ibekev

ibekev Member

Hello, ive been using riverpast to convert my files into .avi so theyll play on the av420 but when i play them on the av420 the video seems to play faster and the voices are corrpt

8. blacuntry

blacuntry Member

the best dvd ripper for quality and ease of use is fair use http://www.fairusewizard.com/mambo/index.html
    you can use the free version and only make files upto 700mb or you can buy the full version and make dvd quality rips + they work on the archos av480...

has anyone noticed on the av420 and av480 that in actions scenes in movies the picture gets a little jumpy..? or is it just how i've encoded them that makes them jump?

9. nhsmdh

nhsmdh Guest

Thanks to Geshtasp for his knowledge.

I Use Dr. Divx to convert to Avi. When I do a One-Pass High Quality conversion with "Bidirectional", "GMC", and "Quarter Pixel" selected in advanced Options, the file plays perfectly on my player. The only problem is the kbps is way too high and the file size winds up larger that the vob.

When I do a 2-pass conversion with the same settings, the file size is correct as well as the kbps but both my computer and AV400 play the file with a "slow motion" type look although it says to be encoded at 30fps.

I can't seem to make convert vob files to Divx and have them play correctly. I'm wondering if it's my computer... it only is a Pentium III with 733 Mhz. I have 256 mb of Ram. When I convert a file from vob to Divx with this computer, the conversion speed is roughly 3 frames a second...

Do you think this is the problem?

Thanks.

10. loco233

loco233 Member

Hi
    I just bought a zen and didn't like that u had to convert avi/divx/xvid to wmv. Not to mention how long it took.
    Now i've refunded it and was going to buy the archos av420 until i read this forum.
    How long does it generally take for a xvid to divx conversion with dr divx?
    If too long, does anyone know of a pvp that supports xvid and requires no conversion?
    Im looking for a player thats quick to transfer as most of my media is anime which are all xvid files

thanks in advance

11. nebeuz

nebeuz Guest

loco 233 .. here is my take on Divx format, and the forum can correct me if I am incorrect. Using the archos av400 series , record from a DVD to the achos, you should have no problems. The AV400 series has a built in decorder which will convert the file to a divx format, making it able to play. All the different types of "codec's" you are seeing being talked about, have to be "invoked" if you take a movie from an outside source, say the internet to make "playable" on the AV400.

12. shiroh

shiroh Guest

13. blacuntry

blacuntry Member

dont use dr divx use pocket divx encoder.. do a search i dont remmember the address... but its better and quicker than dr divx takes about 1 hour to encode with perfect results 90% of the time... to be honest i dont know why people choose the av420 over players that play all the movie formats like irivers pmp player..though it doesnt record tv... but i ended up not recording tv with my player... so i suppose you have to decide whats more important.. being able to play all movie file formats are being able to record tv... encoding all the files you download is a total pain in the ass... i havent download a single movie that i havent had to encode...its a pain in the ass you should get the iriver pmp or similar

14. blacuntry

blacuntry Member

also.. if you want to rip dvds to divx that will work on the archos av400 you should get fair use wizard .. its a piece of cake to use though unless you have a pretty fast computer it will take upto 4 hours.. but the results are better than the encode in a streaming kind of way such as super dvd ripper... fair use rips in the same way as the gordon knot thingy ripper.. but you dont need to download millions of extra programs and its a piece of piss to use. http://www.fairusewizard.com/

15. kalantan

kalantan Member

oibiker - If you're still checking this thread: On my MAC, I tried what you advised earlier. I used Explicit to spli an AVI into two files. You were saying that the ARCHOS didn't recognise the first 10 or so seconds of the AVI. Doesn't work for me. The AVI thatis saved out by Explicit has the same sync problems as before - audio is 2 to 3 seconds ahead of the video. Explicit is such a simple app. there are no options I could have messed up. Do you have another method that works for you...?

Thanks! - kalantan

16. jfly

jfly Member

I have been following this thread for months and have good news. Archos has just posted a software update that takes care of many of the audio synch problems that myself and I believe many of you have been having especially regarding from downloaded stuff. I also notice that everything is now MUCh smoother!

17. pgpme2u

pgpme2u Member

Thank you jfly for the great news.

I downloaded the updated OS from Archos and it tested fine with files that had previously exhibited both the audio sync and video jerkiness problems.

For you tech types, here are the improvements as per Archos:
    Support for MPEG4-AVI files with B-Frames added.
    Support for MPEG4-AVI files with MP3-VBR soundtrack added.
    Capabitility to set video player osd timeout added.
    "Clear thumbnails" popup in photo/video browser added.
    Updated IrBlaster library with new devices.
    Info screen for folders with detailed information on contents added.

Thanks to you all for the great info shared while we waited for these fixes.

18. oibiker

oibiker Guest

For Kalantan.

Sorry mate but it always worked for me. Sorry I can't help you further. Hope the Archos update helps you. Cheers.

19. goldes

goldes Member

I'm not as advanced as the rest of you (yet), but I just bought an Archos AV420 and was putting films on it the old fashioned way (i.e. play them on a DVD player, and record through the cradle). This worked fine for a number of films, but I cannot get it to work for any of my region 1 DVDs (I'm in Europe). The DVD's play fine on my DVD player, and even record fine on to my old Archos AV380, but won't seem to record to my AV420. Is there something I need to do, to make it multi-regional? Or is there likely to be some type of copy protection stopping it from running?

I should say that when I go to record the film, it has a signal right before the DVD player tries to play the film (i.e. when putting in the DVD, etc.). As soon as the film (or trailers or whatever) start, it goes back to "Detecting Signal". Any suggestions on what I can do to get past this? Thanks!

20. txrunner

txrunner Member

[bold]Hey Archos folks,[/bold]
    I was looking online and found a program called Video Vault from XSoftware. If I purchase this s/w, can I easily copy DVD's to my AV400 without using Divx/other software?