1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs Will Be Like CDRs by 2006

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DogBomb, Nov 30, 2004.

1. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying the cheaper prices of DVD media considering I was paying $2 per 2.4X disc about 18 months ago. Toshiba said they're coming about with DVD-Video discs next year, and Sony is trying to beat them first with Blu-ray discs. Both will hold considerably more data than DVDs today. Toshiba's tech will hold less but will be compatible with today's DVD players...supposedly. I don't believe it because that would mean the DVD players would have to be capable of beaming high-definition to your TV. By 2006, high-def is supposed to be required by the FCC for the major networks, so that will be what DVD recorders will be made to record. Another scam by these guys to make you replace your DVD collection with high-def DVDs of 1970s movies. ;)

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

yEAH & VERILY DOGBOMB!

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "verily"? Anyway, this thread was just something to discuss. No major statement about the fate of DVD here. Just that I know I will be forced to trade in my DVD player and DVD recorder (if I get one for XMas) for one that can record HDTV which should come out next year. And like VHS and Betamax, Toshiba and Sony will battle it out leaving holders of useless players by the wayside (think SACD and DVD-Audio, or worse, anyone with a Dreamcast, mini-disc player, etc.)

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

sORRY YES dOGBOMB i AGREE I come mainly from an audio background as An enthusiast and I have seen the new formats come & go open reel ,vinyl (remember Vinyl) 8 track- wurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-click click) cassettes ,elcassette- never actually owned one though)recordable cd- video & audio- recordable dvd set top and computer MD ect. Every time the Media Moguls Launch a new format on us they want you to replace your previous library of media. Luckily we can often tranfer the signal/data/video /audio ect too the new format -sometimes not. I am not a techie I've gone from buying early and getting zapped on the price- 1st cd burner 2x hp $400.00 inclusive of tax- 2cnd burner 10X hp- 300.00 including tax. 1st dvd burner nec-Nd-2500A -$109.00 with tax 2ncd dvd burner Nec 3500 - 62.00 shipped So ya' see I learned the value of patience. I also am learning about the Wide world of Dvd tech from my new friends at afterdawn. com the good people like yourself! well just wanted to voice an agreeing opinion Thanx fer listening - later friends!

5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Dogbomb - Verily - from the latin Veritas - meaning truth or truly - peace - On the whole technology - HDTV update thing As long as my 32" sony still lives I won't replace it with Hdtv just yet when i have to I will go plasma Good luck with your choices and endeavors bye now

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I didn't mean to offend you if I did in any way. Sadly, I remember the vinyl LP records and rotary dial phones. I'm just very hesistant about jumping on the newest and latest technology because you know something new and better will come along - just like with women. ;)

I'm thinking the Blu-ray by Sony might go out the window because it's not backwards compatible - meaning you'll need a DVD player and a Blu-ray player. BTW, how is Sony's audio SACD doing? I don't see anyone tossing out their CD collections to upgrade to SACD. If anything, they're downgrading from CD to mp3 for the convenience.

I have a Sony 36" HDTV, and it's 4:3 which has been great for me since 95% of the shows I've watched were in standard anyway. I only get the local channels in HDTV, and they only recently started offering 4 more channels in HDTV - for another $9/mo. !!! That big HDTV hype won't take shape for at least another year or two, but it will definitely be a permanent part of the future and hard to look back at standard TV.

7. ricster

ricster Regular member

BIGTOXY69, thanks for making me laugh. My first HP ink-jet was £500, first 64MB (maybe even 32MB) MP3 player £250 and I paid £1000 for a portable DVD player. I wait a little longer these days. I'm waiting to buy one of those standalone HD/DVD recorders...but come on - £400 ? Just how much does an 80GB hard disk, DVD Writer and tuner cost to put together ? That's just got to come down soon.

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Dogbomb - Friend I was not & am offended in anyway I was just agreeing with your point . We always take a big financial hit when we get in on tech early on -remember when a 8 function pocket calculator was about $100.00 and now that same hundred bucks will buy you a calculator that does everything but make coffee- That cost extra lol! as for the blue ray I think I'll wait awhile before I decide . I sometimes can be a techno- stick in the mud I once nursed a BIC T-3 dual speed 3 head cassette deck through about 10 yrs of hard use - this was long after Dolby B_C_& hxpro and metal tape had become available! In it's defense the Bic Cassette also ran @ 3&3/4 ips. so you got better performance but less recording time. I agree with you about Sacd yet another format that lingers in obscurity- look at Md it's a good format but due too the Big labels/record companies fighting it's introduction and Sony barely promoting it ,It has not really taken off as it should. And DCC - that format that was supposed to be like Dat tape meets standard cassette even with backwards compatability with analog cassettes (playback only) I doubt it even remains viable in the home electronics market!I think That DVDR media has dropped in price faster than CDr's did but that's just an opinion. Well Dogbomb & all my other Afterdawner friends Peace- Happy Holidays to ALL !

9. HiRezHead

HiRezHead Member

DCC, DoubleSpeed Analogue Tape Decks, Elcaset.... all dead. And I wish that MiniDisc, SACD and Blu-Ray all from SONY dies also. They have too much disadvantages for users like us, i.e: compatibility.

Viva DVD-Audio and HD-DVD!
    Muerte SONY!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Yes and we can't forget Quad being revisted on us in the guise of surround sound- lol bye