1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD's will only play part way threw, Not at All.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Scarfone, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Scarfone

Scarfone Member

Hello,

New member here and new to the DVD burn game. I have made several attempts to burn DVD's with less than great results. I will try to break this down:
    System: P4 1.3, Windows XP, 512MB RAM
    Micro Advantage DVD+R/RW 16X Burner

Media used: Maxwell DVD+R (First Try), Sony DVD+R (Second Try). Used DVD Shrink with Nero.

Problems: Burned a downloaded movie, would play in my PS2. Attempted a full back-up of a DVD movie, was prompted that the burn was good, DVD movie would not play in my computer or PS2, would not even show up as present (DVD Disk) using My Computer. Burned a second downloaded movie. Played 1/4 the way through, audio became out of synce with the video. Video stopped. Attempted another burn of another downloaded movie, same problem as the attempted back-up of the DVD movie. My IDE ATA/ATAPI is set to DMA if available. DVD takes anywhere from 4-6 hours with deep analysis. I have slowed the burn speed to 2x and 4x with negative results. My stand alone player is a PS2 that was purchased in 2001. I know the burner is burning but I must be missing something somewhere that is bugging the burn. Any help please.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

A couple of things, one-older PS2's, version 4 or less, are more compatible with -R media, since your burner is +R and +RW, that might be a problem.

What did you use to convert your files to dvd compliant files? Or, did you just run them thru Nero Express? Since shrink works with DVD compliant files, how did you use it with Nero?

Your P4 is 1.3? That would account for your 4-6 hour process.(of course, I'm not the brightest guy when it comes to hardware, I didn't even know they made a P4 less than 2.0)

Since you have Nero, did you try using NVE(NeroVisionExpress)? It will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file, create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

Also, if the files are very large(over 4.37), you can let NVE write to your hard drive, then use shrink to compress to fit on a DVD 5 disc using those finished files from NVE, since it's compression quality isn't all that great..

It even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you burn to disc.

I would also recommend getting a DVD player. They are cheap nowadays, a lot cheaper than a PS2. Playing DVD movies on your PS2 will shorten it's lazer life span. Not to mention DVD players are compatible with more kinds of media. For instance, you can get the Philips DVP 642 for 65.00 and it plays all formats including mpeg and Divx. It's bios can even be upgraded from D/Ling a disc off the net. I've seen DVD players for a little as 30.00, a PS2 costs around 175.00.

Lastly, your audio sync problems, disc stopping part way thru,etc. sound like a media problem. Is your media branded? Try dvdinfopro or dvd identifier, both are free. They will analyze your media, let me know what they say about the manufacturer of each.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  3. Scarfone

Scarfone Member

I may have solved the problem. I used dvd shrink to rip a movie to my hard drive. I then went back and used shrink w/nero to burn the entire disk and low and behold, it played perfectly in my PS2. Had a great picture and great sound. What changed? I went into the dvd/cd rom/burner properties using my computer. There I found that the burn speed was set to 16x. I got the impression that even when I slowed it down by selecting a slower speed with Nero, it was defulting to the higher or highest speed causing a corrupt burn. Now that I know what to do, I am still trying to find a way to speed the whole rip part up. I don't have the fastest PC at P4 1.3 ghz, but something is telling me it should be a whole lot faster than what I'm getting. I'm seeing people getting the same time's I am with a 800 P3 with 256 ram. Anyway, I hope that this may have helped someone having the same problem I was. Thanks for the response too.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Your system specs have a lot to say in read/burn times. Processor, RAM, HD speed, media, burner type (firmware updates can help too)

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You could try ripping the files down to your HD with DVD Decrypter first it is a little faster than Shrink at ripping. What type of drive are you using to rip with? Some drives just wont rip fast no matter how high end your PC is. Your PC is actually plenty fast for ripping a DVD. Now incoding, reauthoring, compressing might be different all together, but the fact ifs your PC dosent use to many resources when ripping the DVD to your HD. To make ripping fast you need Good DVD ROM, Fast HD, IDE 80 Pin cable helps, and if you really want to be high speed then get the latest SATA drives they are about 100x faster than EIDE drives.

Later,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105