1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvds won't play in home dvd player

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by kitty420, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kitty420

kitty420 Member

I've used DivX/XviD and burned off movies but when I go to play them in my dvd player they don't work. They don't work in my xbow360 either. Of course I know all burnt movies won't play in my 360 but some do. But all the movies I have burnt useing DivX/XviD won't play in my dvd player. Did I burn it wrong? I'm a little computer stupid so if someone could help me out that would be great thanx.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are these DivX files that have been converted to DVD format or are they simply files that have been burned to a DVD?
    DivX files have to be played on a 'DivX' certified player.
    Does the player manual say it can play DivX?

3. kitty420

kitty420 Member

they were just files burnt to dvd. No my player doesn't support dvix. But I figured it out took me a while. I need to convert them useing the Divx to dvd. then burn them off with nero 7. I hope thats right and I hope it works. Cause if I just burn them with nero7 the pic is all messed up anjd if I just burn them with Divx they won't play. So I need to convert them to dvd with divx then burn them with nero. is that right or am I just not getting it? I almost confused myself.

4. attar

attar Senior member

If your using Nero 7, elect to make a DVD video using Nero Vision 4.
    Add one of your DivX video files and continue through the menu step (just accept the default) to burn the disk.
    Nero Vision 4 will convert the DivX file to DVD format, create a menu and burn the disk.
    If you set the burning speed to less than maximum you should get a usable disk.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  5. jony218

jony218 Guest

One more thing, only use ultra high quality blank dvd's to burn to dvd. DVD movies require at least 90% quality or they will freeze up during playback.
    Do a quality test check (with nero) on one of your burned DVD's to see what it rates as far as quality. You might be surprise at the results.

6. PRETZ_23

PRETZ_23 Member

I had the same problem too, similar to kitty420, what I did is I converted the video using VSO DivXtoDVD (Freeware) v0.5.2b, the dvd shrink 3.2 can read and burn the output from vso but my dvd player can't read. It say "Check out the TV system". I also try Nero 7 but still my dvd can't read but my dvd-rom can read and play. Also I used several software converter like WinAVI 8.5, dvdsanta, the latest version of VSO then used the shrinker to burn but they are useless. What did I do wrong??? I was successfull before using VSO v0.5.2b method but how come I can't find any sulution?? Any suggestion???Help me please.

7. attar

attar Senior member

Make sure the conversion program is creating files to suit your TV, ie NTSC for North America or PAL for the rest of the world.

8. fpc695

fpc695 Member

Hi everyone, this is my first posting so please bare with me!

I use Nero or U-lead to create my dvd's. I usually download an AVI file and successfully create a DVD viewable on my DVD player...until recently.

Disks that I have made several months ago work perfectly. Newer ones will not. I have to place a "real" dvd in my player, let it run for 7-10 seconds then eject it. Next I put in my "created " DVD, let it play for 7-10 seconds, then eject it. I do this procedure at least twice before my "created" DVD will play.

Why is it? I haven't changed any settings. I still use top quality DVD-R's. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. I recently bought a new DVD player on the hopes that it would work, but the same senario is happening!

Thanks!

9. attar

attar Senior member

Run the Nero tool 'CD-DVD Speed' and select the 'Scan Disk' test.
    See if there are any errors on the disks.

10. fpc695

fpc695 Member

I've run the scan disk and everything is "green @ 100%".

11. attar

attar Senior member

So an old burned disk is ok and a new one needs this procedure?
    Something must have changed.
    If your Nero logs go back far enough, you should be able to compare.
    If you want to post Nero logs, start a thread in the Nero section.
    This one has too many.

http://my.afterdawn.com/locoeng/blog_entry.cfm/385