1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd's won't run on my player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by decorkim, Feb 10, 2005.

1. decorkim

decorkim Member

Just when I thought my problems were all fixed, I have a whole new set of them. Well I finally got the decrypting, shrinking and burning down pat, the movies work fine on my media player on the computer, but they won't run on my Zenith DvD surround system. I am sooo *&9#!$@# mad, frustrated, and generally ticked off. Can someone please help. I am using TDK DVD-R discs.
    Thanks!!

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

check out your players compatibility with this:http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

3. decorkim

decorkim Member

I checked out the site but couldn't find my player anywhere. I just wanted to add that the movie started to play, just until after you hit "play movie" then I had no menu options on the remote, and the player went to :stop:. Any suggestions?

4. jaxnchloe

jaxnchloe Member

I am having the same problem. If anyone has any suggestions I would LOVE YOU for life.
    I am using DVD+RW by Fugifilm

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

@ decorkim

need more testing to eliminate, try other dvd players PS2 or friends standalone players!

@ jaxnchloe

try useing a dvdr not an RW

6. brobear

brobear Guest

jaxnchloe
    Only some of the newer standalone players will play the RW format. Older players only play -R or +R or both. I've seen some that won't even play recorded media. It all boils down to the media format your player supports.

7. decorkim

decorkim Member

last night I tried all the movies that I have burned, and 2 of the 7 worked just fine. They were all burned on the same DVD-R discs, and played on the same player. The ones that don't work, the disc ran, but quit before the actual movie started, it is like it has something to do with the compression. Is it possible that movies that are shrunk more are not being read?

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Decorkim
    welcome to the twilight zone

you may have something there? how big was the dvd before you compressed it?

also i have had bulkpaq orange work fine at first and in 6 months time they degraded, and didnt play as they should!

9. decorkim

decorkim Member

I don't know how big the movie was before. if the compression is the problem, is there any way to make this work? It is the only DVD Player we have , other than on the computer, and the whole point was to be able to watch these movies on it. Would using DVD+R make any difference? How about now re-burning the burned DVD, would the same compression be detected?

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ok, you may have currupt menu extras film links in the ifo/bup files!

do you really want all the extras?, if not put it in shrink and rip main movie only out! that will sort out bup/ifo...

but this said it may just be your player doesnt like copies? or it doesnt like the media? which the second is the cheaper way out!

11. brobear

brobear Guest

If it turns out to be the player it isn't that painful to buy a new one. A Philips (recognized brand) can be had for about $69 at Wal Mart. Cheaper ones are available for near $40.

Rotary touched on what may turn into a problem. Trying to re-edit a faulty disc can lead to another one. That's why we suggest the original be put away for just such occurences. We realize there are occasional house fires where the fire dept only saves the backups and the police doesn't catch the crooks that stole the originals. So, one does what they must. ;(

12. decorkim

decorkim Member

thanks so much for all the helpful input, I did get things sorted out. I used the burned disc, saved the iso to my hard drive, reauthored with shrink and saved only the main movie, then burned with decrypter, and all is fine. I am sure that the quality would be better if I had started over with the originals but as stated, the cops never did recover those original discs. Anyway, I know what to do next time,, hopefully!

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Glad you got it going. ;)

14. decorkim

decorkim Member

Forget everything I just said, not one of the movies worked the whole way through. Just when I was getting smug,, I am not going to do what I just did, only with originals and keep my fingers crossed. I am also going to try these on another player and see what happens. Replacing ours isn't as easy cause it is a surround sound system, so I may have to look for one of those on sale. Do you know what I should look for in a system,, which ones will read ripped DVD's?

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Wal Mart sells a good Philips for about $69 and they have some unknown brands for a lot less on sale. You could go for a cheap one and send the one you have in for repairs if it's worth it.

16. decorkim

decorkim Member

When you say send the one I have in for repairs, do you think there is something that can be done to it to make it work? The system is only a year old, and I thought that it was a compatibility thing not something that could be fixed.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

A one year old Zenith should play recorded media. You didn't mention the model number of the player, so no way of knowing if it was obsolete when you purchased it. It may not play as extensive a collection of formats as the newer players, but as I said, it should play +/- R. I wouldn't go too far on repairing an older unit as replacements are not that expensive. You should check with Zenith support on that. You may be getting into a problem with the burner.
    [bold]Have you tried playing discs recorded on another PC?
    What is the model number of the Zenith player?
    Have you checked to see what media the player is compatible with??[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2005
  18. phenson

phenson Member

I was really hoping to find some answers here as well. I have been successfully playing burned DVDs on my players for some time, but I recently bought a new Plextor drive and now I'm having the same problem. No matter what I do, the discs will play on the computer but not on the standalone players (and I have 3 different ones of different ages). Grr. It's drivin' me nuts.