1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDShrink 3.2 will not make ISO files

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by _ender, Dec 18, 2004.

1. _ender

_ender Member

Greetings all,

I've been using DVD Shrink for some time now, all with no problems. Well, I re-imaged my system, and installed version 3.2 of DVD Shrink. Now, for some reason, whenever I try to create ISO's of whatever movie, it keeps making these files all ending in '.I01', 'I02', and then ending with a file with an '.MDS' extension?

Anyone know what's going on??

...and YES, I _am_ selecting the ISO image from the drop-down menu on output. I've tried this a few times already, even after rebooting my machine, always with the same results.

Help!

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Shrink creates multiple ISO files as a work around to the 4Gig file size limit on a FAT32 system.

3. _ender

_ender Member

Hey Zippy,

Well, I use DVD Shrink 3.1.2 on my work machine, and it's never had a problem creating a single file ISO. It seems very odd that this is happening on 3.2 that's on my home machine.

Both machines are running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2, and Nero 6.6. As an experiment, I tried doing a rip and burn in one operation from within DVD Shrink 3.2, and even that failed with errors resulting from it not finding files to allow it to transfer directories. All in all, I've had very little luck thus far.

I've even installed 3.1.2 on my home machine, to replace 3.2, and then ran into some peculiarities with Nero wanting to do an .nrg format file, instead of an ISO as well.

After well over a year with 3.1.2 on both machines, it's pretty frustrating to run into this after a re-image of Windows.

Any ideas on how to get a simple, single ISO file?

4. _ender

_ender Member

OMG. [insert 'I'm stupid' stamp here]

I feel pretty silly now...

I figured out what the problem was with the ISO images. My home system has 4 hard drives in it...and 2 of them are formatted in FAT32...in the event my XP partitions fail, and I need to get data off the backups I create on the FAT32 drives. Guess where I was trying to save the ISO's I was creating in DVD Shrink? *smacks his head*

I piped the output from DVD Shrink to my other hard drive that's formatted in NTFS...Magic! It now saves the ISO was one file.

Thanks for your help Zippy, I sat thinking about it for a moment, and went over the readme again, and that's when it hit me to check the format of the drive I was saving the image to...

Anyway, onward ho!

p.s. my work system only has one drive...which is of course NTFS format...which is why this blew totally past me. oy.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  5. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

*smiles*
    You're not the first and definitely won't be the last to have done this. Glad you got it figured out.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004