1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDShrink and Copy Protection Error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bruwery, Aug 20, 2004.

1. bruwery

bruwery Member

Hi. Long time listener, first time caller. (I just always wanted to say that)

I was trying to backup DVD's using DVDShrink 3.1.7 and Nero 5.something, but I kept receiving a "copy protection error" message. By reading these forums, I discovered that every now and then there is a DVD which shrink simply can't handle. I've had the same problem with three straight disks, though.

Using advice gleaned from reading the posts from the good people in this forum, I removed 3.1.7, and upgraded to DVDShrink 3.2 and tried again. Same problem.

So I removed Nero 5.something (also removed the crappy Roxio program that came with my drive) and installed the trial version of Nero 6. However, I received the dreaded "blue screen" anytime I tried to open Nero, and anytime DVDShrink tried to access it. It's possible I need a firmware update for my drive, I suppose, but it seems pretty strange. I couldn't get to my drive manufacturer's (Optorite) website at that particular moment, so, I removed 6, and reinstalled 5.something.

I then downloaded DVD43, and am now able to copy the disks using Shrink as long as DVD43 is running in the background.

My question, after all that verbage, is am I missing something? My impression is that shrink would decrypt most disks. What are the odds that it couldn't handle the first three I'd grab (Mississippi Burning, The Newton Boys, and The Animal)?

Is it indeed a problem with Nero 5.something?

I have a Dell Dimension 4600, with a 2.66 ghz processor, and 512k of ram. The hard drive is 30 GB, with 15 GB available and it has recently been defragmented.

My DVD drive is an Optorite 2201.

I have spent way too much time trying to figure all this out.

Can anybody help?

2. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Welcome to the forums, bruwery. :)

The culprit is the Nero SDK (the stuff that has been added to DVD Shrink so as to enable burning).
    I can't remember what exactly, but it's something it does when DVD Shrink is started.

I don't know if this will ever be fixed, but the workaround is to uncheck "Enable burning with Nero" in the "Edit >> Preferences >> File I/O" menu. ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and information, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  3. bruwery

bruwery Member

Thanks!! I'll try that. Funny - everything I've read on these forums states the opposite - i.e. make sure the "burn with Nero" box is checked, so it never occurred to me to uncheck it.

How will it burn the disc if I do that? Will I have to write the files to hard disk and burn them separately later?

4. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Well, if you do want to be able to burn from DVD Shrink with the Nero SDK, you obviously can't uncheck this option.
    In this case, just keep on using DVD43. ;)

The other option is to install DVD Decrypter (free), and choose "ISO image and burn with DVD Decrypter" as DVD Shrink target ("Backup! >> Select backup target").
    Once the ISO image has been written to your hard-drive, DVD Shrink will automatically launch DVD Decrypter to burn it. :)

5. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

P.S: you can also burn the file(s) later, as you correctly said. :)

6. bruwery

bruwery Member

I've downloaded decrypter, just haven't installed it. I don't mind having DVD43 do the decrypting, I simply couldn't figure out why I had to use it when most people out here don't seem to. Still don't know why it seems to work directly for those folks.

It's crazy, but as long as I'm getting good quality on my backups - and it seems okay so far - I guess I won't spend any more time wringing my hands.

Thanks again for your help!!

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

You're welcome. :)

I think most dvd-backupers use hacked firmwares for their DVD drives, which is why they do not experience the "Copy Protection" error.

You could always try it too. ;)

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

8. bruwery

bruwery Member

Thanks for the info. Hacked firmware sounds a little dangerous for someone of my novice skills, so I'll save that experiment for another day...

9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

It does sound a bit dangerous, but it is actually very str8 forward.

Anyway, welcome to the dvd-backupers club. :)