1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDshrink and the vanishing dvd-rom

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Helpful1, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

This just started last night while i was backing up a few of my DVDs. The first two went fine but when encoding the third one DVDshrink lost my dvd-rom, literally. My dvd-rom drive was not found in explorer or device manager. I played around with DMA and PIO mode and got it back in explorer but both dvdshrink and device manager can not see it. For system specs my OS is winXP running on 1.8ghz with around 1.5GB of ram. Like I said, the first two went fine, but on the third one everything went loopy.

"I am a lost little boy, Can somebody help me?"

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Open up your system... See if the cable came loose.

3. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Nope, Checked that, visually through me window and physically by shoving it some. I also loaded a dvd game (unreal 2k4) and that loaded fine.

I ran the same disc through my dvd-rw and it had same type of read error so i think the disc may be in need of a disc doctor.

I tried this method too to no avail.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/78526

Guess I'll have to be 'extra' careful when handling this disc.

4. flip218

You've got me a bit confused... First your dvd rom couldn't be found.. but you can load a game fine. You ran the same disc(which disk unreal 2k4?), and what read error???

What exactly is the problem and what are you trying to do??

5. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Right, after a restart the computer saw it in both device manager and explorer, so i tested the dvd-rom read-head/lense by loading the game, which ran fine.

But when i tried to backup the dvd movie using dvdshrink first then dvd decrypter on my second attempt, both gave me that "DVD shrink encountered an error and cannot continue, copy protection error."

I loaded the movie into a stand-alone player and i noticed a skip or two so i tried playing it in my computer, which didnt show any skips, but was unable to be backed up with either program. I'm afraid this DVD is headed for coaster wasteland.

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Rip the DVD to a .ISO file (I believe the newest version of DVDDecrypter can do this) then, burn the .ISO file to a disk (Or put the ISO on a virtual drive) and try burning it that way.

The Copy protection error can also been worked around by using AnyDVD or DVD43.

7. flip218

Helpful1,

Try these things... Clean the source dvd. If you have PowerDVD... run the sourcs dvd for a minute, open shrink, let shrink detect it, then shut down powerdvd. This is suppose to unlock the drive. Also it doesn't hurt to add DVD43(free) or AnyDVD($39)

Or, you can do the long process. Use DVD Decrypter to rip, then run it through DVD Shrink, then burn with either DVD Decrypter or Nero(which ever you have)

8. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Sometimes its not the technology in the machine but the hardware of the machine.

Dirty DVD + Dirty lense on my dvd-rom :-/

First i tried pop_smith iso method but dvd-decrypter froze on one file, so i restarted everything and it froze in the same spot.

Took the disc out, got a nice soft polishing cloth and rubbed any possible artifact out (which i had done before too) then i took an extra step and ram a disc cleaner through my drive.

Copied straight through this time, which is a good thing because this second hand disc is just about done for.

thanks for the assist everyone - afterdawn rocks!

9. flip218

Good deal Helpful1, glad all works :)