1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvdshrink compression issue

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by emeralds, Oct 6, 2008.

1. emeralds

emeralds Member

i've burned a lot of dvds over the past couple years with dvdshrink and never had a problem until today. i'm trying to burn the bbc office season 1: disc 1. it's a few hundred MB over, suggesting i get rid of some audio tracks but even eliminating them all i'm still a little bit over. i don't want to lose the extras or any content. when i go to "custom ratio" it won't let me adjust it. are there any other options?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try saving as an ISO, then load the image and shrink again.

3. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

You may want to try DVD Rebuilder. What attar suggested will more than likely work (as he knows way more about this than I), however the outcome may be less than the desired quality.

4. emeralds

emeralds Member

is dvd rebuilder supposed to be as straightforward as dvdshrink? i downloaded it, opened the dvd in the source path and hit backup dvd and got an error saying "illegal video gop size. possible encrypted source. aborting." not sure where to go from here.

5. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

Your video will have to be ripped to your HDD first to get rid of the encryption. DVDFab HD Decrypter is an excellent ripper and is free. See the links in my signature for further information.

6. emeralds

emeralds Member

i couldn't get the hang of dvd rebuilder. dvdshrink is so straightforward and because i've never encountered this don't really want to learn a whole new program for this one exception.

the dvd i'm burning is weird because for audio streams there's a list of 5.1 but all at 0mb. the only audio stream with any size is 2 and it's at 250MB. i went ahead and am ripping the folder to my HD despite it being a few hundred MB over. what is the best and easiest way to get it onto DVD from there? bear in mind it's a folder and not an .iso file. if i need to re-rip to an .iso file i will.

7. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

After you get the hang of DVD Rebuilder, you'll want to use it all the time.

8. emeralds

emeralds Member

can you give me a guide for someone who's recluctant to learn anything new?

here's what i have so far:

1. load dvd into dvd drive.

2. go to start > programs. click "dvd rebuilder"

9. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Search "DVD Rebuilder guide" in that little white box in the golden brown stripe.

10. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

11. emeralds

emeralds Member

this has been real frustrating so far. i should've given the disclaimer that i know zero about any of this which is what made dvdshrink so easy. load up the dvd, open it through dvd shrink, back it up to hd, nero burns it. hassle free done in less than an hour.

i now have dvd rebuilder pro. what other program(s) do i need exactly to rip the disc to my computer? from there, how do i get it burned? i see something about cce encoder in that example link, is that required?

12. LOCOENG

13. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

14. LOCOENG

Moved to DVDRB forum.

15. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

Once you get everything setup, it doesn't get much easier than DVDRebuilder (pretty much one click). Read the links that Loco and dialysis posted and you will be whistling a happy tune in no time.

16. emeralds

emeralds Member

i now have dvdfab and imgburn downloaded. do i have to open these separately in the process or do i just need these to have them connected to rebuilder?

also under settings > setup this is what i have: http://i35.tinypic.com/2uqkt1v.jpg

does that look right and can someone link me to the CCE that will fill in those blanks?

17. emeralds

emeralds Member

i jumped the gun a bit. after going through the guide i'm at least understanding a bit more of what does what.

i'm currently running dvdfab to rip the dvd. i chose the "dvd9" option that rips it at 100% quality as opposed to "dvd5" which was going to rip it at i believe 53%. do most people do it this way or does it not matter much in the grand scheme of things?

18. emeralds

emeralds Member

i got as far as ripping the dvd with dvdfab. when i started the backup process with rebuilder a few minutes in i got this:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2eghfn8.jpg

i'm not sure what happened. the guide that was linked is a little difficult to go by considering i'm using the pro version. should i downgrade since i won't be using pro's extra options anyway?

19. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

What encoder did you select?

20. LOCOENG

You should really setup two folders on your HDD, one for work and one for output/final files etc. This will make a mess just going out to your C: drive. You can also post a log from DVDRB, it should have some setup info in it.